• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Odd Taxi

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
meiam

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 12:27 pm Reply with quote
And I was sure the review would end with a variation of "and I'm along for the ride", subverting expectation right there.

Really like the show, multiple story thread happening at once, independently but still linked, is pretty rare in anime and this is pretty well done. Quite like the OP too, both song and visual. I hope the show does well, feel like the type of show that's going to struggle to even break 500 sales...

My main worry is that the nurse seems to like the MC for no real reason, I hope there's going to be a good explanation rather than it just being some sort of wish fulfillment fantasy of cute girl liking older man for no real reason. Otherwise I don't know why exactly but I feel like it's possible that the show will switch to live action once the "animal filter" is removed, but that would probably be too expensive for little gain.
Ryujin99

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 1:09 pm Reply with quote
meiam wrote:

Otherwise I don't know why exactly but I feel like it's possible that the show will switch to live action once the "animal filter" is removed, but that would probably be too expensive for little gain.

I was actually thinking just the same thing during the most recent episode. It seems like it'd be fitting in a way for a endgame reveal that Odokawa sees everyone as animals... could be similar to how the Sakisaka views everything as meat and gore in Saya no Uta

I also keep having a nagging feeling that there's something distinctly odd going on with Odokawa. Didn't one of the first two episodes heavily imply if not state outright that the missing girl is staying at his apartment? I just can't help but wonder why she would be there of all places.
ab2143

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 1:44 pm Reply with quote
One of my favourite shows of the season. The mystery element seems promising!

Quote:
The first episode also strongly hints that the anthropomorphic aesthetic of the show may be a consequence of his worsening psychological problems

I thought the same but then Odokawa(?) mentioned how Shirakawa is the only alpaca.
Also, even when Odokawa isn’t present in the scene, they’re still depicted as animals. Though that second point would take away part of the mystery of this show...

Anyways, I don’t know about you guys but I wouldn’t mess with an alpaca that knows capoeira.

Last edited by ab2143 on Wed Apr 21, 2021 2:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
dm
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 2:06 pm Reply with quote
I keep thinking this series is a slower-paced Durarara! for grown-ups. Probably the ensemble structure plus tangled threads weaving into a plot.
Porudogumaz

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 2:08 pm Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
Quite like the OP too, both song and visual. I hope the show does well, feel like the type of show that's going to struggle to even break 500 sales...

My main worry is that the nurse seems to like the MC for no real reason, I hope there's going to be a good explanation rather than it just being some sort of wish fulfillment fantasy of cute girl liking older man for no real reason. Otherwise I don't know why exactly but I feel like it's possible that the show will switch to live action once the "animal filter" is removed, but that would probably be too expensive for little gain.

Yeah, I can already tell that this show won't be very popular. Between the official twitter account only breaking 10,000 followers yesterday after months of being active, and no Blu-Ray plans so far, along with Pony Canyon being the sole sponsor of the show's TV airings. It's gonna make the joke about Mystery Kiss being small and unsuccessful in episode 2 one hell of a meta moment in the future, unless the show actually pulls of a miracle and blows up.

Also, regarding Shirakawa, while it seems like the show is setting up her liking Odokawa to be one big con, I'd be cool with her liking Odokawa just because. Not only would it be a good foil to Kakihana's arc (Extroverted Kakihana trying to scam and force his way into love and failing VS the introvert Odokawa letting a relationship develop over time and succeeding), but I think that in general the duo just have a really nice rapport, even if it doesn't turn romantic.

meiam wrote:
Otherwise I don't know why exactly but I feel like it's possible that the show will switch to live action once the "animal filter" is removed, but that would probably be too expensive for little gain.

I was thinking the same, and to that end, if you've watched the official music video for Odd Taxi, take note of how the show places emphasis on a certain background character during the bar scene in episode 3... If it means what I think it means then, well...
meiam

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 2:18 pm Reply with quote
ab2143 wrote:
Quote:
The first episode also strongly hints that the anthropomorphic aesthetic of the show may be a consequence of his worsening psychological problems

I thought the same but then Odokawa(?) mentioned how Shirakawa is the only alpaca.
Also, even when Odokawa isn’t present in the scene, they’re still depicted as animals. Though that second point would take away part of the mystery of this show...

Anyways, I don’t know about you guys but I wouldn’t mess with an alpaca that knows capoeira.

I think someone (Shirakawa) could interpret the alpaca line as a funny/flirty line. I'm pretty sure no one is an animal since whenever the radio mention the missing girl they never say her race and also I don't remember anyone mentioning animal aside from Odokawa.

Porudogumaz wrote:

Also, regarding Shirakawa, while it seems like the show is setting up her liking Odokawa to be one big con, I'd be cool with her liking Odokawa just because. Not only would it be a good foil to Kakihana's arc (Extroverted Kakihana trying to scam and force his way into love and failing VS the introvert Odokawa letting a relationship develop over time and succeeding), but I think that in general the duo just have a really nice rapport, even if it doesn't turn romantic.

I agree they make a good duo, but Shirakawa seemingly started hitting on Odokawa after seeing him once in the doctor office. As much as his comment on "we are the world" are interesting and though provoking I think it's a bit thin of a reason to try and date someone.
a_Bear_in_Bearcave

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 3:17 pm Reply with quote
meiam wrote:

I agree they make a good duo, but Shirakawa seemingly started hitting on Odokawa after seeing him once in the doctor office. As much as his comment on "we are the world" are interesting and though provoking I think it's a bit thin of a reason to try and date someone.

I might've missed something, but I think Odokawa is regular at doctor friend's office and the nurse has seen him plenty of times. I rewatched their interaction at 1st episode and all three talk like people who know each other. I mean, Kakihana know her quite well also, there's no reason to think their interaction in episode 1 was the first one.

Moments I loved - Capoeira x2, MC's ice cold burn about threat to harm Kakihana, "drop the age gap" with regards to the weird misconception that younger generations won't get anything about older technology even if it's part of cultural background. I've never used telegram but I know what it is from westerns and Julius Verne's stories.
Covnam

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 3:39 pm Reply with quote
Enjoying the series so far. I think I'd be fine if there wasn't a major plot line connecting the episodes and it was more of a slice of life show where we follow a taxi driver around, but either way I'm still glad I decided to give this a try.

Quote:
first episode also strongly hints that the anthropomorphic aesthetic of the show may be a consequence of his worsening psychological problems, including insomnia.

Hmm, I must have missed that or just defaulted to taking everyone being animals as a stylistic choice, so I'll have to pay more attention to that aspect in the future to see if it turns out to be true.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 3:48 pm Reply with quote
I see the possibility of the "anthropomorphic aesthetic" being psychological. One of the hints is the weird straight up references to living celebrities, specifically the "We are the World" video performers. they didn't give them punny animal names like other anthropomorphic shows would, when they talk about Bruce Springsteen, it's Bruce Springsteen.
And of course that OP. You don't try to pet a cat AND have main characters who are cats- that was a conscious choice to show that incongruity.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kiskaloo
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 3:49 pm Reply with quote
Covnam wrote:
I think I'd be fine if there wasn't a major plot line connecting the episodes and it was more of a slice of life show where we follow a taxi driver around, but either way I'm still glad I decided to give this a try.

I admittedly went into this thinking it might be the animated version of the 1996 J-drama Kitto Dareka ni Au Tame Ni [ "Searching for Someone" ] about a taxi driver who each week picks up a new fare and a new (love) story.

But instead I get a noir drama. Absolutely love the show.
meiam

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 4:29 pm Reply with quote
a_Bear_in_Bearcave wrote:
I might've missed something, but I think Odokawa is regular at doctor friend's office and the nurse has seen him plenty of times. I rewatched their interaction at 1st episode and all three talk like people who know each other. I mean, Kakihana know her quite well also, there's no reason to think their interaction in episode 1 was the first one.

He seems to be good friend with the doctor, but doesn't seem to have had much interaction with the nurse. When she got in his taxi after that, wasn't his reaction along the line of "Oh aren't you that nurse?"?
Agent355

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 7:03 pm Reply with quote
As much as I like their dynamic and banter, I really don’t trust Shirakawa. Not to get all classist and ageist, but it is very unusual for a 28-year-old professional woman with at least a Bachelors degree (if not a Master’s) to pursue a 41-year-old blue collar working man. Not impossible, but unusual. Add to that that it’s implied that she’s stealing drugs from her clinic, and it looks like she might be trying to seduce Odokawa to become her fall guy. Which is a shame, but fits in with the noir atmosphere. Since when can sexy femme fatale types be trusted?
MPAndonee

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 8:59 pm Reply with quote
I have never seen a foreign show (in this case a Japanese Anime!) with so much talking. I've watched a lot of European and Far East shows with slow burn, noir atmosphere. It's almost like the Japanese equivalent of Aaron Sorkin wrote the dialogue. It's beyond awesome and it's one of the most endearing features of this show. I have fallen in love with it.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 3:16 am Reply with quote
The dialog in this and the style of delivery remind me a lot of Peeping Life, which actually was ad libbed.

I was so happy they finally decided to clearly show us the helmeted guardian duck hanging from his mirror. It was driving me crazy trying to figure out what it was. Now for the heart pen(?) tucked in the visor...

But as for me, I can't stop thinkin' about Hellshake Yano.
a_Bear_in_Bearcave

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 2:25 pm Reply with quote
meiam wrote:

He seems to be good friend with the doctor, but doesn't seem to have had much interaction with the nurse. When she got in his taxi after that, wasn't his reaction along the line of "Oh aren't you that nurse?"?

You're right, she says "Oh, you remember me" after he talks to her. Maybe there's something more to her interest - seems like everybody in the cast is agent or double agent or mercenary or otherwise plotting something, and reason for acting as they do may be a mix of business and personal interest or conviction. She might have a reason for approaching him in addition to personal interest, plus being in the very center of this huge plot - assuming she knows about it - can add to his perceived sexiness.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7