• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sentai Filmworks Licenses Live-Action School-Live! Film, 4-Episode Prequel

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tygerchickchibi

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 11:35 am Reply with quote
Wow,

I was talking about wanting to watch this a week ago. I heard it was awful, but I want to be entertained.
pachy_boy

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 3:25 pm Reply with quote
Cool! It was awesome enough when I found this title up for pre-order on Right Stuf--to find out it includes the prequel mini-series is definitely a bonus (unless they're talking about a separate release?)! If I had known Sentai would license this, I would've saved my money and held off from purchasing the Japanese release. I'll still get Sentai's release, because I naturally always prefer an English-subbed copy when owning Japanese movies.

Speaking of, and for those wondering, this movie actually isn't awful at all in my opinion. It makes some interesting adaptation choices that mostly work for the movie version's story even though some fans' mileage may vary--Kurumi is made out to be the main heroine, Kurumi's sempai crush has an interestingly somewhat expanded role, and Rii-San is made out to be rather weaker but still has her own arc like all the girls do. Even if you love the anime/manga or even especially because of that it's worth giving the movie a chance.

My only minor disappointment is I wish Sentai would have provided a dub for this movie, if only because it would've been interesting to hear the anime's dub actors play the characters again in live-action like Funimaiton did with Attack on Titan and Tokyo Ghoul.
ScruffyKiwi

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 4:25 am Reply with quote
pachy_boy wrote:

My only minor disappointment is I wish Sentai would have provided a dub for this movie, if only because it would've been interesting to hear the anime's dub actors play the characters again in live-action like Funimaiton did with Attack on Titan and Tokyo Ghoul.

For me live action dubs just don’t work. I will happily watch dubbed anime but it is very easy to tell in live action that they are not actually saying what the dub audio gives us and it just comes across as odd.
pachy_boy

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 8:01 pm Reply with quote
ScruffyKiwi wrote:
pachy_boy wrote:

For me live action dubs just don’t work. I will happily watch dubbed anime but it is very easy to tell in live action that they are not actually saying what the dub audio gives us and it just comes across as odd.

Sometimes that's part of what makes live-action dubs entertaining to watch, at least once! Plus, I have relatives who don't like reading while watching movies, be it animation or live-action, so an existing English audio makes all the difference in encouraging them to check some titles out.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1