• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: hololive Virtual YouTuber Kiryu Coco Graduates on July 1

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cloudywind

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 6:25 am Reply with quote
Wumaos and antis should explode
Abecedarian1995
ANN Assistant Editor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 6:45 am Reply with quote
This really stings, but it seems like she herself made the decision to leave, and all we can do now is to respect and honor her wishes.

Godspeed, Kaichou.

While I will no doubt miss her, I am nonetheless looking forward to her graduation stream, and the sort of farewell her fans and colleagues will prepare for her. I'm sure it will be nothing short of momentous.

Last edited by Abecedarian1995 on Wed Jun 09, 2021 10:24 am; edited 1 time in total
Dragon_Kaiser

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 7:39 am Reply with quote
It’s sad to see her go but let’s make the rest of the month a good with her, also apparently from what I’ve seen in some of the comments her “other channel” on another streaming site has been popping off so I wonder if this also played a decision of her leaving. Having total control over your content instead of being owned by a company does seem more appealing.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 7:58 am Reply with quote
This hurts. She and the other members are trying to stay positive. No official reason was given, and she said she wouldn't disclose it, but it's hard not to speculate and look at something in particular as the reason, especially when it seemed to be affecting other members lately. Nothing lasts forever, but you hope it doesn't end sooner than it should.
SUPER_METR0lD

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 10:41 am Reply with quote
I'm only familiar with the english hololive girls, but it sounds like she was well loved by her fans.
AmpersandsUnited

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 10:51 am Reply with quote
A bit surprised she didn't graduate last year after the controversy. She managed to hang on for 8 more months at least. Sad
Tenebrae

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 1:52 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
graduate

I guess that's one way to talk evasively when someone gets tired of it all / gets kicked out / has irreconcilable contract disagreement / becomes a liability / burns bridges with their team / fill in: _____________ (select any / all). Don't they use the same term in idol industry so they never need to embarrass themselves by using real words?
flammie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 3:05 pm Reply with quote
I wonder if she was tired of all the restrictions she had under Cover more than the most likely reason. She couldn't collaborate with certain people, she couldn't make fun of the other talents on her old morning show, and of course the obvious censorship.
NormanS

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 3:34 pm Reply with quote
Tenebrae wrote:
Quote:
graduate

I guess that's one way to talk evasively when someone gets tired of it all / gets kicked out / has irreconcilable contract disagreement / becomes a liability / burns bridges with their team / fill in: _____________ (select any / all). Don't they use the same term in idol industry so they never need to embarrass themselves by using real words?

Generally yes. But hearing and reading the translations from various vtubers close to Coco and within Hololive the general idea is that it is Coco's own decision so and not Cover's. So in this case its really Coco leaving on good terms.

The only time i hear about termination and not graduated is Hololive's former vtuber Hitomi Chris which is cited to breaching contract and is terminated.
ChrissyC

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 3:34 pm Reply with quote
She's definitely responsible for HoloLive's recent success in the past two years, so it's sad to see her go.
Northlander

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 6:50 pm Reply with quote
OK, so... according to a translated short I just watched, her public videos will not disappear. Her members only videos will, however, which had something to do with monetization or something? I have absolutely no idea how that works.

Haven't watched all that many of her videos, much less to completion. I did start watching her archived Fallout 4 streams, which, given the amount of English in it, is something I could actually watch without feeling too lost.

But yeah, feeling conflicted about this too.
el5anto

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 7:51 pm Reply with quote
She definitely is leaving on good terms, otherwise her channel would not survive the graduation. She's incredibly talented, Coco will be greatly missed just like Kaguya Luna, but I'm absolutely sure she'll come back and grow even bigger on her own, just like Kaguya Luna's actress did with her Pmaru-sama channels.
omegafinal

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 8:43 pm Reply with quote
I'll miss her Reddit Shitpost Reviews, and best of luck on her future endeavors. It does look like she is leaving on good terms.

SUPER_METR0lD wrote:
I'm only familiar with the english hololive girls, but it sounds like she was well loved by her fans.
She is, and can be considered a "bridge character" of sorts, connecting Japanese and English fans, kinda like Kiara. And this might be of interest, she was one of the main contributors who pushed for a Hololive USA, which eventually became Hololive EN.
Richmyster84

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 9:17 pm Reply with quote
who owns the "Kiryu Coco" character? Does Cover/Hololive or the person behind the Vtuber avatar?
LuckyAstei

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 11:55 pm Reply with quote
Richmyster84 wrote:
who owns the "Kiryu Coco" character? Does Cover/Hololive or the person behind the Vtuber avatar?

Cover/Hololive owns the avatar so if she does move to a different company she will have to have a new avatar. Though I honestly don't think she'll be switching companies but that's here nor there and I don't like the speculate.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger ICQ Number
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2