• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Heritage's 1st Major Auction for Anime Art Breaks $2.1 Million Record

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Swissman

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2021 6:01 pm Reply with quote
These prices are beyond comprehensible. I don't get it. I guess the bidders aren't your average older anime fans and cel collectors, but speculators with deep pockets who speculate on the future worth of cels from famous anime. Shocked

I used to collect cels of well-known anime when they were still affordable, like two, three decades ago and stopped collecting after anime became digital. In the past few years I've started to buy more vintage merchandise and would very much like to own another 1-2 cels from Kiki or Totoro (or Orange Road, Secret of Blue Water...) to add to my collection, but there's a limit to what I could justify to spend on what is basically unique art on a sheet of plastic. Anime smallmouth + sweatdrop
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
perroloco

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2021 6:22 pm Reply with quote
Swissman, what were prices like 2-3 decades ago?
I saw a video of a YouTuber that collects all sorts of things that went to Akihabara and some Cels from well known anime like Dragon Ball and Saint Seiya were anywhere from $100 to $1,500 USD.. and i thought that was expensive lol
Swissman

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2021 6:54 pm Reply with quote
I depends on the anime, but a decent cel from a well-known TV show, movie or OAV was anywhere around $30 to $150 USD, sometimes more (especially cels from OAVs such as Record of Lodoss War or Video Girl Ai), sometimes less (DBZ or Sailor Moon cels were cheap back then!). I was lucky to get Ghibli Cels for $40-$60 USD a piece, sold through AnimEigo.
The only really expensive cels were those from Akira, Heidi Girl from the Alps or Evangelion, but even those were seldom over 3 digits USD.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Cutiebunny

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2021 11:33 pm Reply with quote
I've been collecting anime cels since 2003 and am absolutely astounded at the prices they are selling for now.

Prices for good quality stuff have always been high. It was not uncommon for me to spend $1K on a Sailor Moon cel back in 2006. Certain series, like Ghibli, have always been high. I recall being seriously impressed seeing some sell for $50K and even back then, realizing that would not be something I'd buy.

The collector market, in general, seems to have really exploded in the past few years. Pokémon cars selling for the prices of houses is mindboggling.
Swissman

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2021 4:33 pm Reply with quote
Cutiebunny wrote:
Prices for good quality stuff have always been high.

I used to cels mainly in the mid- to late nineties. Half decent Sailor Moon cels without backgrounds for example were still in double digits back then, which allowed me as a high schooler to buy a small but nice one from Usagi. Ghibli cels were actually affordable when you knew where to get them, except those from Mononoke Hime. So compared to that, prices from the early to mid-2000, when you started to collect cels, seemed to be already quite higher compared to those of a decade earlier!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1