• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: ICv2 Report: N. American Manga Sales Reach All-Time High in 2020

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fruit101

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2021 12:31 am Reply with quote
It's wonderful that people have been reading more overall, and manga specifically, but it's been a total pain to actually get hold of print media for the last 18 months because of it.

In addition to this, the global paper shortage and the publishing industry model being focused around not holding "excess" stock, mean prices have spiked significantly, it's taking longer for most things to come to print, and when they do they have limited runs because priority at the presses is being given to the book equivalent of blockbuster movies.

Even second hand books have gone up massively in price.

It's simultaneously fantastic and frustrating.
Donkey-er

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2021 4:18 am Reply with quote
Fruit101 wrote:
It's simultaneously fantastic and frustrating.

Couldn't agree more with this haha.
But it's amazing to see that manga is accounting for about 1/5th of the total comic book market in the US, I would've thought that it was considerably lower until these reports about the increase in the last year started coming out.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2021 12:47 pm Reply with quote
So it's taken 14 years since the 2007 crash for manga sales to recover to that point, despite the medium's popularity and readerbase going up dramatically since then. Sure seems like a lot of those new readers brought in through word-of-mouth and "exposure" have not been contributing to the actual revenues of the legitimate industry.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1