• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: ICv2: COVID-19, Supply Chain Issues Cause Manga Shortage in N. America

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Casval Rem Deikun

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2021 11:43 pm Reply with quote
It's really the best thing to happen for printed manga and the worst thing all at once.

I hope things start to smooth out sooner rather than later though, what a mess.

As for a lot of popular series, to the fans, please don't fall victim to scalpers. Just wait. Seriously. Chainsaw Man and the like are not going out of print anytime soon.
RenRen94

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2021 11:47 pm Reply with quote
If the series is popular or has a currently airing anime, it's probably best to snap up any available copies right now. That's what I've been doing with The Case Study of Vanitas, I've had the first volume for years after reading the review on ANN, and finally started buying the rest of the series, Just waiting on vol. 2, which seems to be out of stock in most places. Horimiya volumes 13 and 14 were also hard to find for a while most likely due to the popularity of the anime, and it took a bit of time for Right Stuf to restock Jujutsu Kaisen 1-3. I should probably stop buying manga when the anime adaptation is airing...

Is this also the reason why certain volumes in a series are considered out of print? I regularly use Right Stuf Anime and they've delisted volumes 9 and 11 of Servamp, and vol. 3 is listed as "no longer available." They're also difficult to find on Barnes and Noble and Amazon. I got lucky with vol. 11 through a third party seller on Amazon, but vol.9 is going for $18.99 + shipping while the retail price is $12.99 Confused
sakurablossom143

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 12:30 am Reply with quote
It's truly saddening to see. Sad I know a lot of other publishers have made the move to some digital only platforms, but sometimes I just want to be able to hold the manga in my hands and read instead of having to kill my eyes on reading on a tablet.

It's even worse when you have new anime coming out, and after having watching it, you'd want to read the manga afterwards. This was the case for me for Horimiya. I wanted to desperately read the manga after watching the anime, but trying to find the earlier volumes is very difficult TvT
blahmoomoo

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 8:34 am Reply with quote
I suppose this might explain the recent delay or cancellation (can't tell which, but this situation is similar to Land of the Lustrous Volume 11 [same publisher] which has since been relisted) of Cells At Work: Code Black Volume 8 (the final one) from June 2021 to August... 2022.
Akamaru_Inu
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 9:01 am Reply with quote
I've been trying to buy a copy of Jujutsu Kaisen volume 0 at retail price since February; I'm not surprised tbh. What's more is I have a memory of being in Books A Million after the anime had a few episodes out and seeing a display case with multiple volumes of it in stock, before I committed to buying the manga. Oops. Hopefully things get back to normal by the end of the year.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 11:45 am Reply with quote
Casval Rem Deikun wrote:
It's really the best thing to happen for printed manga and the worst thing all at once.

I hope things start to smooth out sooner rather than later though, what a mess.

As for a lot of popular series, to the fans, please don't fall victim to scalpers. Just wait. Seriously. Chainsaw Man and the like are not going out of print anytime soon.

Maybe for the ultra popular manga, but for everything else, get it as soon as you can. The higher the volume count, the lower the print run. And we all know what happens when shortages happened. People start buying things up.
FireballDragon

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 12:21 pm Reply with quote
For some reason, I managed to get volumes 1, 3 and 4 of Chainsaw Man, but a few weeks ago I tried to order volume 2 off of Amazon, and they said it would come around the beginning of August. This is the second time I tried to order it, because the first time I tried, it ran late. I cancelled both. Is this why it's happening? Yeesh...
animefan57892

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 7:54 pm Reply with quote
It seems that the supply chain issues will get even worse in the coming months.

Grocery stores are stockpiling food and cleaning supplies amid rising costs and demand https://www.businessinsider.com/grocery-stores-stockpile-food-cleaning-supplies-rising-prices-demand-2021-7
dragonquiz

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2021 7:01 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Penguin Random House is the parent company of Kodansha Comics

Completely wrong, Kodansha Ltd. is the parent company of Kodansha USA Publishing, LLC and uses PRH for print and distribution (publisher) services in the US and Turnaround Publisher Services for the UK and other publisher services elsewhere.

Also Kodansha Comics is the imprint publication for Kodansha USA
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1