• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Yen Press Reveals Audiobook Voices for Sword Art Online, Overlord, The Saga of Tanya the Evil

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RockSplash

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2021 8:54 am Reply with quote
I'm not a huge fan of audio books or SAO, but I won't lie. Bryce doing the narration is pretty tempting. Tanya's dub voice doing Tanya is awesome(can we please avoid any drama), and I don't know who the overlord guy is, but he sounds cool. I hope they expand this to other novels. Getting someone like Jerry Jewel to narrate Baccano! Or how about getting Micah Solusod for Index. This sounds awesome!
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2021 8:57 am Reply with quote
Awesome choices for the voice actors.

That said I would have been on cloud nine if the SAO Abridged kirito voice actor had actually gotten to do the voices for the audiobook
KefkaesqueXIII

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2021 10:15 am Reply with quote
Outside of a full cast recording, getting the dub VA for the each series' principal character to do the audio book is basically the best thing I could have hoped for.

Here's hoping this does well sales-wise.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2021 10:29 am Reply with quote
That's really cool that they actually got the leads to narrate the audiobooks. It would've been nice to have maybe a few more VA's from the anime onboard for their characters (Bryce doing Asuna's lines or Chris doing Albedo might be kind of hilarious) but still pretty cool.

I think it would be kind of cool if they have Cassandra Lee narrate volumes 2 and 3 of SAO since it's adapting Fairy Dance.
here-and-faraway

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2021 10:47 am Reply with quote
As an avid listener of audiobooks, this is fantastic news! Vertical is doing a fabulous job with the Monogatari series. I'm sure Yen press will do just as well. I hope to see even more releases to come.
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2021 12:19 pm Reply with quote
The fact that they got Bryce for the SAO books is pretty great.
pluvia33

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2021 8:03 pm Reply with quote
here-and-faraway wrote:
As an avid listener of audiobooks, this is fantastic news! Vertical is doing a fabulous job with the Monogatari series. I'm sure Yen press will do just as well. I hope to see even more releases to come.

Agreed! I'm hoping Vertical releases more Monogatari audiobooks eventually. And Suzumiya Haruhi, Rascal Does Not Dream, and Re:Zero top my wishlist for future Yen Press releases if this format does well for them.
Covnam

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2021 9:37 pm Reply with quote
Hmm, interesting. The only audio book I've really listened to and enjoyed was done more in the style of a radio broadcast, but I may have to give this a try. Though then again, I'm not sure when I'd listen to it that I couldn't just use the same time to just read the book :/
murdock_tm

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2021 11:48 pm Reply with quote
These amazing casting announcements for the audiobooks of SAO and Yojo Senki make me hope (and I would be the first to buy it):
Lisa Ortiz narrating a certain light novel series. (Hey it's a good wish).

Still I appreciate the effort Yen Press did to choose the actors.
merr

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 4:15 am Reply with quote
murdock_tm wrote:
These amazing casting announcements for the audiobooks of SAO and Yojo Senki make me hope (and I would be the first to buy it):
Lisa Ortiz narrating a certain light novel series. (Hey it's a good wish).

I would buy ten copies out of sheer joy if that happened
KefkaesqueXIII

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 9:45 am Reply with quote
Covnam wrote:
Though then again, I'm not sure when I'd listen to it that I couldn't just use the same time to just read the book :/

I personally use audiobooks as a way of multitasking, usually listening to them while simultaneously doing tasks that are time consuming but otherwise largely mindless (driving to/from work being easily the biggest contribution).
penguintruth

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 11:57 am Reply with quote
I love me some Monica Rial. Her narrating the Tanya novels sounds fun.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 1:47 pm Reply with quote
I'm glad to see audiobook of light novels becoming more of a thing. I would love an audiobook of Adachi and Shimamura.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1