• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Dororo (TV 2019) (#20779): Change from "Remake" to "Alternate Retelling"

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
IúkaSylvie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 9:59 pm Reply with quote
The 2019 Dororo anime shares the same basic premise with the original manga and the previous 1969 anime but diverges from both. Examples include:
* In the manga and the previous anime, Kagemitsu Daigo makes a deal with demons for political power and names his unborn son as the sacrifice. In the 2019 anime, he wishes for the prosperity of his land and names "anything he can have" as the sacrifice. The demons respond by taking the body parts of his unborn son.
* In the manga and the previous anime, Hyakkimaru must kill 48 demons to restore his body. There are only 12 demons in the 2019 anime.
* Jukai, Tahomaru, and Lady Nui are given expanded roles in the 2019 anime.
* In the manga and the previous anime, Mio is a flashback character, but she appears in the present in the 2019 anime as Hyakkimaru doesn't communicate through telepathy.
Lapin noir

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2021 5:53 pm Reply with quote
I believe that the 2019 TV anime shouldn't be a "remake" or an "alternate retelling" of the first TV anime.

They and the live-action movie should each be linked only to the original manga, as an "adaptation" of it, and not to each other.

Plot similarities and differences don't matter so much; it's more that the comic is the original work, not the first TV anime, so adaptations of it should not count as being based on other adaptations, unless they use elements which are original to an earlier adaptation and not in the source work.
IúkaSylvie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 1:49 am Reply with quote
Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon Crystal (anime#15693) is listed as an alternative retelling of the previous anime (anime#363), though.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1