• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: HarperVia Publishes The Tatami Galaxy Novel & Sequel in English in 2022, 2023

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MFrontier

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:14 pm Reply with quote
Having enjoyed the anime, I might check this out!
dm
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:26 pm Reply with quote
Excited to hear about this --- though I'm now embarrassed to say that I didn't know his The Night is Short, Walk on Girl is already available in English.
ab2143

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 2:10 am Reply with quote
Finally!
I hope someone picks up The Eccentric Family too
ChrissyC

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 3:06 am Reply with quote
That's pretty far. I watched the anime when I was in middle school. The sequel novel will release when I'm probably done with college!
The Mad Manga Massacre

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 3:40 am Reply with quote
Hallelujah! Harlequin is doing a non-romance imprint.
LegitPancake

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 9:31 am Reply with quote
Since it’s a non-LN publisher, I hope they won’t give it a weird western cover. I kinda doubt they’ll be using the original anime-style cover.
dm
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 10:27 am Reply with quote
LegitPancake wrote:
Since it’s a non-LN publisher, I hope they won’t give it a weird western cover. I kinda doubt they’ll be using the original anime-style cover.

I wonder what they'll call it. Tatami Galaxy might be a challenging title to market to Western audiences, too. How many booksellers will file it in science fiction, I wonder....
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 11:24 am Reply with quote
dm wrote:
LegitPancake wrote:

I wonder what they'll call it. Tatami Galaxy might be a challenging title to market to Western audiences, too. How many booksellers will file it in science fiction, I wonder....

I've seen The Night is Short, Walk on Girl's novel be shelved with the manga at my local Barnes & Noble, just like light novels are, so I imagine that Tatami Galaxy will be given the same placement.

Bookstores know exactly who these kinds of releases should be aimed at, when it comes to shelving.
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 1:13 pm Reply with quote
dm wrote:

I've always liked The Tatamiad as a possible localization of the Japanese title. Very Happy
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 1:23 pm Reply with quote
Shay Guy wrote:
dm wrote:

I've always liked The Tatamiad as a possible localization of the Japanese title. Very Happy

I'm positive that they'll just keep "The Tatami Galaxy" for the title, simply because it's already the title it's known as in English. Changing the title wouldn't be a good decision, as it creates confusion & makes it harder to promote to fans of the anime (which I'm sure the publisher will be trying for, to some extent).
Joa

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 4:44 pm Reply with quote
dm wrote:
LegitPancake wrote:

The tweet refers to them as The Tatami Galaxy and Tatami Time Machine Blues, so I'm sure that's what they'll be called.
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 6:37 pm Reply with quote
Lord Geo wrote:
I'm positive that they'll just keep "The Tatami Galaxy" for the title, simply because it's already the title it's known as in English. Changing the title wouldn't be a good decision, as it creates confusion & makes it harder to promote to fans of the anime (which I'm sure the publisher will be trying for, to some extent).

No doubt. It just never seemed like a great translation to me. :/
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1