• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Disney to Stream Tatami Time Machine Blues, Black Rock Shooter Dawn Fall, Summer Time Renderin

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ErikaD.D

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 6:48 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Disney+ launched in November 2019, and it is now available in North and South America, most of the European Union

Recently find out that my country, which is a member of EU -- does not have announcement or current launch of Disney Plus and Disney Plus may never appear on my country at all. It's so ridicilous that my country is excluded and may forced to watch these animes on non-legal animes sites.
kyokun47

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 6:50 am Reply with quote
they W H A T ! ? literally never saw this coming i am both shocked and can't stop laughing
BlueAlf

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 7:00 am Reply with quote
Alright. This is shocking. It'll REALLY be available for Disney+Hotstar which is its derivative for certain countries?

Wow.
r4737

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 7:01 am Reply with quote
Netflix, Disney, Crunchyroll and sometimes Amazon Prime
This means that the cost of obtaining license to broadcast animes will be more expensive than before, right?
Poor Hidive
olgita

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 7:21 am Reply with quote
I guess Star Wars: Visions was a success and Disney was like "whoa, people really like anime, we should get more!"? Better late than ever, but I'm still waiting for my country to have Disney+ (I think it should be next year).
ZeetherKID77

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 7:23 am Reply with quote
Say goodbye to home video releases for any of these. The mouse hates it now and unless this is some case like Amazon where they could have separate rights there's no way it'll happen.

Screw Disney.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 7:27 am Reply with quote
My first reaction when I saw the announcement was "damn, not another one". That is, we really do not need another major player getting into anime streaming. However, after reading ErikaD.D's post I realized that having an embarrassment of riches is better than none at all.

Still my point stands. We are already paying for five streaming services (six if you count HBO which is based on the cable subscription). We really don't need another for just a couple of anime titles. In the next five or ten years this will probably shake down to just a few really big players but in the meantime it is going to be expensive.

@ErikaD.D you haven't stated which country is yours, but I expect the problem is the ongoing cost of translation of all shows into your language. I realize that since you are here, you would probably be OK if they gave you access to the English stream. Unfortunately going into a country officially and expecting the entire audience to be fluent in English would be rather an insensitive move of a different kind.
Dian Z

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 7:35 am Reply with quote
I didn't expect these shows of any other shows are coming to Disney+

My country has Disney+Hotstar, and it's got FX and Hulu shows, heavily censored (not sure if it's Disney or my country's often required strict censorship). Summer Time Rendering is pretty fanservicey if I remember correctly, so I'm not sure what to expect here.
KitKat1721

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 8:15 am Reply with quote
Well this was some bizarre news to say the least. Not so much that Disney would be putting more anime on their service, but more the shows they actually licensed outside of Twisted Wonderland. It’s so weird to me that DISNEY+ of all places will have the sequels for Black Rock Shooter and The Tatami Galaxy???

Also, unless they happen to get materials far enough in advance, I think there’s a chance we also see similar delays as Netflix (whether it’s a delayed weekly simulcast or a later binge drop) considering they like to release a fair amount of their animated content with dub option(s). Maybe not if they don’t think it’s worth the effort, but I would at least expect it for English, so it’s definitely a possibility depending on the property.

Speaking of, I *really* hope these aren’t given the same dubtitle treatment as Star Wars Visions…
lordscales91

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 8:24 am Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
Unfortunately going into a country officially and expecting the entire audience to be fluent in English would be rather an insensitive move of a different kind.

Ha ha! Take a look at HiDive's catalogue of shows subtitled in Spanish: https://imgur.com/a/WvxU53M

There are far more shows available in my country, or at least it seems so, like Yuki Yuna's 3rd season: https://www.hidive.com/tv/yuki-yuna-is-a-hero-great-mankai-chapter
I don't see any message like "this show is not available in your country", and it is in fact detecting my country properly.

I personally prefer to have more shows with only English subs than having almost no shows at all.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 8:32 am Reply with quote
Quote:
The company's Disney+ service will exclusviely stream these anime in Japan, but Disney did not specify which venue or venues will offer these titles outside Japan.

First, exclusively.

Second, given the above, there's no real sign of a "global" streaming by Disney if their main streaming platform is only streaming these in Japan, right?
Ryuji-Dono

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 8:48 am Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
Quote:
The company's Disney+ service will exclusviely stream these anime in Japan, but Disney did not specify which venue or venues will offer these titles outside Japan.

First, exclusively.

Second, given the above, there's no real sign of a "global" streaming by Disney if their main streaming platform is only streaming these in Japan, right?

Unless they mean that they'll either create separate service for Anime or stream those globally through services like Star or so later on.
Egan Loo

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 8:55 am Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
Quote:
The company's Disney+ service will exclusively stream these anime in Japan, but Disney did not specify which venue or venues will offer these titles outside Japan.

According to the announcements, these three series are getting global streaming:

https://natalie.mu/eiga/news/449319
https://www.oricon.co.jp/news/2210252/full/

The key point to keep in mind is that Disney+ is not Disney's main streaming platform in every country. Disney has not rolled out Disney+ on many countries yet, and Disney already has an existing streaming service or an agreement with another company's service in many countries.
OjaruFan2

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 9:11 am Reply with quote
ZeetherKID77 wrote:
Say goodbye to home video releases for any of these. The mouse hates it now

Why does the mouse hate it now?
Zendervai

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 9:25 am Reply with quote
OjaruFan2 wrote:
ZeetherKID77 wrote:
Say goodbye to home video releases for any of these. The mouse hates it now

Why does the mouse hate it now?

They directly stated they have no intention of home video releases for Disney+ exclusive stuff, beyond some of the movies. They're also historically extremely bad at doing home video releases for TV stuff. Many of their catalogue shows have either never gotten a home video release or got an incomplete release.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4