• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: My Senpai Is Annoying

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Moonsaber

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 5:19 pm Reply with quote
An unexpected gem in this season for certain, it makes me smile and relax. Great pre bed anime, and fun.

I agree with the reviewer, there is a bit of roughness.. and I truly wish she was a few centimeters bigger, but realistically she is a little under average.. for a 19th Century gal. (I think that line was in the show somewhere, was it not, or close to it?)

All in all just adorable, but with some interesting relatable pieces. Pretty decent slice of life.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 7:49 pm Reply with quote
Doga Kobo really knocking it out of the park with a new office romcom.
Covnam

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 8:34 pm Reply with quote
Great to see the adaption is doing so well so far. I thought the bear padding happened later, but maybe I'm misremembering...
Regardless, enjoying it =)
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 11:09 pm Reply with quote
Personally I was not expecting the series to be as wholesome and pure as it is. Both charcters are actually pretty charming.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 10:18 am Reply with quote
I love to just watch Igarashi move- I haven't seen character animation this good in anime before. Just the act of rolling up her stockings in the first episode, she rolls her wrists three times around her leg- why are they putting this much work in an office rom com? And the pony tail, someone went to the trouble to study how two hands, one rubber band and a pony tail dance together.

And that closer, oh that closer... Now that I think about it, how do I tell the difference between rotoscoping, motion capture and just pure animation effort? I know each when I see it but... and this, this is art.

People gush about budgets spent towards rendering action scenes, not me, I've always been into animation for the love of the art and I love this art.

I could just say it's good but I'd be underselling it.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 6:43 pm Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
I love to just watch Igarashi move- I haven't seen character animation this good in anime before. Just the act of rolling up her stockings in the first episode, she rolls her wrists three times around her leg- why are they putting this much work in an office rom com? And the pony tail, someone went to the trouble to study how two hands, one rubber band and a pony tail dance together.

And that closer, oh that closer... Now that I think about it, how do I tell the difference between rotoscoping, motion capture and just pure animation effort? I know each when I see it but... and this, this is art.

People gush about budgets spent towards rendering action scenes, not me, I've always been into animation for the love of the art and I love this art.

I could just say it's good but I'd be underselling it.

Kind of reminds me of how intricate KyoAni animation can be.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 7:48 pm Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
I love to just watch Igarashi move- I haven't seen character animation this good in anime before. Just the act of rolling up her stockings in the first episode, she rolls her wrists three times around her leg- why are they putting this much work in an office rom com?

Character animation has always been a staple of DogaKobo (and even before then as Studio Daume with the original Minami-ke before that staff transferred to DogaKobo) for many, many years now.

Take for instance the animation in this music video for Engaged to The Unidentified: https://vimeo.com/85222213

This little side video has more character animation, in terms of movement and expressions, than you'd usually see in a whole episode of a standard anime.

But yeah, check out Love Lab in particular if you want to see some very detailed character animation from DogaKobo.
TanyaTheEvil

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2021 11:00 am Reply with quote
I am so loving this anime. I look forward each week to watching it. She kinda reminds of The Great Jayh. But I really do love this
MFrontier

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2021 12:41 pm Reply with quote
Santa Futaba and Sakurai was a nice treat.

I like the progression of Sakurai and Kazama's relationship. It's very cute and relatable, and makes for a nice contrast with Takeda and Futaba. It was progressing so much that a train had to come by and interrupt a confession by episode 4.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2021 6:31 pm Reply with quote
That opening scene, all sweetness and light...and I was pulling out my hair. Why did he need to give her his scarf? She was wearing a hoodie! That's what they're for! As oblivious to her boundaries as Sempai is, I kept expecting him to do what she apparently was too, what, fashion conscious? to do, and pull the hood over her head himself, which would have precipitated another of her "I'm not a child!" outbursts in line with the tone of this series.

Ok, so they needed him to give her his scarf for the sake of the rest of the episode, fine. Then don't dress her in a hoodie! Arrgh. Very Happy
NeedMoreCats
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2021 7:20 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
That opening scene, all sweetness and light...and I was pulling out my hair. Why did he need to give her his scarf? She was wearing a hoodie! That's what they're for!

Yes, yes, exactly! They basically had her completely forget the fact that she had a hoodie. There she is, shivering and kinda regretting she gave away her scarf, and I’m shouting,”just pull up your hood!” That really bugged me.
Piglet the Grate

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2021 7:21 pm Reply with quote
Am I the only one who wishes that Takeda Harumi was not the same general type in appearance as Koshiro Saeki from Kai Kaze? The relative size relationships of Igarashi Futaba and Takeda being the same as Koshiro and Nanoka Kohinata does not help.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2021 2:43 pm Reply with quote
I like the symmetry of Futaba and Takeda both going to each others' places to take care of each other, getting to see where they live and getting more intimate.

I also loved seeing Takeda wearing Futaba's tie, while she's using his scarf. Also the fact that the smartphone they got Takeda (which was totally a date) had a green case.

Somehow I'm not surprised Futaba's grandpa owns a motorcycle or would come barreling through if he thought she was unwell.

Natsumi finally finds out about Takeda and has a pretty stellar gamer setup in her apartment.

Takeda needing five minutes to send a "thanks" text was hilarious.

Look at Sakurai thinking of cooking for Kazama...lucky dog.
Piglet the Grate

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2021 3:42 pm Reply with quote
MFrontier wrote:
I also loved seeing Takeda wearing Futaba's tie, while she's using his scarf. Also the fact that the smartphone they got Takeda (which was totally a date) had a green case.

Because the phone case closely matches Futaba's hair color?

Odd that green hair is so rare among the Japanese Anime People (with blue, brown, purple, red, yellow, pink, orange, silver, and of course black being common).

MFrontier wrote:
Somehow I'm not surprised Futaba's grandpa owns a motorcycle or would come barreling through if he thought she was unwell.

Harley-Davidson Softail cruiser (the visible pivot on the upper section of the rear swingarm that mimics a hard-tail is positive identification). Between the base price including a significant amount for intangibles, "Harley-Tax" for dealer installed upgrades and accessories, trans-Pacific shipping, import duties, and the high taxes on bikes of more than 400-cc displacement in Japan, this bike will cost significantly more than the average midsize automobile. Author Dr. Gregory Frazier reports that the answer to an inquiry on renting a Harley-Davidson while visiting Japan was, "Bring gold, lots of it".
Swissman

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2021 11:11 am Reply with quote
Piglet the Grate wrote:
MFrontier wrote:

Because the phone case closely matches Futaba's hair color?

Odd that green hair is so rare among the Japanese Anime People (with blue, brown, purple, red, yellow, pink, orange, silver, and of course black being common).

Maybe it's due to Lum, the iconic green hair oni heroine from Urusei Yatsura. That character is so popular that the risk of being called a copycat is higher when using female characters with green hair instead of other colors ....
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3