• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Post Deletion Format

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2021 4:22 am Reply with quote
If someone's post is deleted by a mod, which is the preferred method of doing it?
I've seen mods completely remove the post and then put their own post to explain the deletion. But sometimes this makes it look like it was the mod's post who was deleted, and another mod removed the comment. So it can be a bit confusing.
I tend to prefer the post to be edited by the mod so #1) I know the mod is giving the feedback to me and #2) which mod edited if they choose to indicate that.
Piglet the Grate

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2021 6:56 am Reply with quote
Past wrote:
I tend to prefer the post to be edited by the mod so #1) I know the mod is giving the feedback to me and #2) which mod edited if they choose to indicate that.

Indeed, the rules are by necessity open to interpretation, and without feedback we see posts disappearing or being put on moderation, etc. without really understanding why.

More feedback would reduce the work of the moderators long term so we would not post something that they find inappropriate in the first place.
Errinundra

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2021 4:20 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for your comments.

You don't give a specific example, but I'll use this thread for this reply. Both SenpaiDuckie and I deleted posts there.

1. Mods don't moderate mods, so when you see a mod posting that a post (or posts) has been removed, then it's someone else's. As in the thread example above, in both instances it was made clear that the deleted posts were off topic. There is no confusion.

2. From the rules:

Quote:
• Moderators have full discretion to enforce the spirit of the rules. Moderators have the right to lock, delete or modify any post at any time if they feel it negatively impacts the forum. If a thread is locked, that means the subject may not be brought up again.

The mods will decide the appropriate way to deal with posts. If you're not happy with how we moderate you can bring it up in the feedback thread, but I think you know that. Wink

Posts may be removed if they are egregious (and that's up to the mods' discretion) or if they flout warnings made either in the thread or to the poster individually.

3. Past, you've not had any posts removed for a while, so any recent removals haven't involved yourself. The mods aren't required to broadcast who has had their posts removed. You'll have to curb your curiosity. The owners of the removed posts will be well aware of what has happened.

4. It isn't uncommon for a user to overwrite mod edits in their posts. I don't mind if they're simply removing the mod's comment - it means they've read the comment. The problem is when a user reinstates the text that was originally removed. Removing the entire post prevents that from happening. Again it's up to the mods' discretion on what action to take.

5. Above all, we want threads to be interesting reads where people who share a passion can be a part of community where they can feel welcome and comfortable participating.

6. You may see cases where we edit the the original post of a thread. It's a little more work to remove said post so sometimes a mod will simply remove the content and leave a message in its place. I prefer to remove the post entirely, so that the next post becomes the OP.

So, Past and Piglet the Grate, keep up your enthusiastic contributions. You're comments are welcome.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2021 5:17 pm Reply with quote
To expand on what errinundra has said with #1, discussion among mods/admin can also have the outcome of a mod's post being removed or altered. Or other posts in a discussion. Mods don't moderate mods as errinundra has said, nor overwrite each other when one has handled a situation. However there is often discussion, especially if it's a hot button topic, or user with a habit of similar behavior. Perhaps the situation simply was unique. Regardless, there is often discussion after the fact and that discussion can alter whatever actions were taken. Plus in some cases admin (Tempest or Lynzee) might feel differently on a discussion.

You can also always PM the mod in question if you have questions. If a post is removed it's because generally it violated the rules somehow, or often responds to another post that was removed thus continuing whatever the problematic discussion/post was. If you're honestly not sure how your post violated the rules you can always PM the mod, or SenpaiDuckie as she is the new Community Manager and works with/helps to oversee the mods, and ask. I would say 95% of the time when I remove(d) a post there was never a PM asking why if a specific reason was not already given.
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2021 9:10 am Reply with quote
OK, thanks a bunch for the info. I know it didn't really apply to my own posts, but there was one that was edited to be friendlier and I kind of thought, why not also delete posts in the same manner? That totally makes sense it can be a hassle if mods edit out what someone says rather than completely removing the post (if it needs to be deleted).

Don't deleted posts actually go to a hidden folder so there's a record of what was written? If the comment is edited out instead, then that information is lost.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2021 10:13 am Reply with quote
Past wrote:
Don't deleted posts actually go to a hidden folder so there's a record of what was written? If the comment is edited out instead, then that information is lost.

Correct (re: deleted posts).
The moderators generally keep a record of the edits that they make.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2021 1:35 pm Reply with quote
Wholly deleted posts are also still viewable by moderators in a user's history. Normal users can't see any of their posts that have been removed (at least I don't think they can), but moderators still can. That is another reason for straight up post removal over edits sometimes. If a post is edited then that's it, there's no "record" of it. Which is why mods mention what/when edits are made over a full post removal. If a post is simply removed it is still viewable by a mod, or admin, and can be re-merged back into a discussion if needed. It also can serve later as a record of behavior or conduct if there are questions.
Errinundra

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2021 4:26 pm Reply with quote
Tempest wrote:
The moderators generally keep a record of the edits that they make.

We call it the Vault. It's full of skeletons and other old secrets we don't want to let out.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1