• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Crunchyroll Streams Spy×Family, Tomodachi Game, In/Spectre, A Couple of Cuckoos More 2022 Anim

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ab2143

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2021 4:34 pm Reply with quote
Glad they’re streaming Spy x Family
DisneyXAnimefan95

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2021 4:46 pm Reply with quote
I definitely called it and expected Crunchyroll to get SpyxFamily instead of Netflix considering that with Netflix announcing their new anime titles last week at their Anime Day event and SpyxFamily not being featured at the event I had a feeling that either Crunchyroll or FUNimation had the license to this show hence the massive popularity of the original manga and they need a hugely popular upcoming show to attract people to subscribe to their service before Netflix does.

Now it's going to be interesting if Crunchyroll or FUNimation will get Chainsaw Man or if Netflix outbids them, because even with Netflix having the deep pockets it all comes down to if Netflix is interested in licensing that title (Chainsaw Man) or let Crunchyroll or FUNimation get it considering that Netflix is satisfied with their upcoming anime originals they announced (e.g. Vampire in the Garden, Orbital Children, Kotaro Lives Alone) and their licensed titles they have (e.g. Shaman King 2021, Edens Zero, Blue Period, Komi Can't Communicate, JoJo: Stone Ocean, Tiger & Bunny 2).
paulchaested

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2021 4:57 pm Reply with quote
DisneyXAnimefan95 wrote:
I definitely called it and expected Crunchyroll to get SpyxFamily instead of Netflix considering that with Netflix announcing their new anime titles last week at their Anime Day event and SpyxFamily not being featured at the event I had a feeling that either Crunchyroll or FUNimation had the license to this show hence the massive popularity of the original manga and they need a hugely popular upcoming show to attract people to subscribe to their service before Netflix does.

Now it's going to be interesting if Crunchyroll or FUNimation will get Chainsaw Man or if Netflix outbids them, because even with Netflix having the deep pockets it all came down to if Netflix is interested in licensing that title (Chainsaw Man) or let Crunchyroll or FUNimation get it considering that Netflix is satisfied with their upcoming originals (e.g. Vampire in the Garden, Orbital Children) and their licensed titles they have (e.g. Shaman King 2021, Edens Zero, Blue Period, Komi Can't Communicate).

It's worth mentioning that CR has another industry panel at Anime Frontier this coming early December which is another anime convention that is "powered" (heavily sponsored) by CR. Also Jump Festa is happening in December as well where leakers are highly speculating Chainsaw Man info will be released there. CR most likely has more announcements they'll make over there and hopefully Chainsaw Man and Jujutsu Kaisen 0 Movie are part of them...
Ryuji-Dono

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2021 5:16 pm Reply with quote
paulchaested wrote:
DisneyXAnimefan95 wrote:

Now it's going to be interesting if Crunchyroll or FUNimation will get Chainsaw Man or if Netflix outbids them, because even with Netflix having the deep pockets it all came down to if Netflix is interested in licensing that title (Chainsaw Man) or let Crunchyroll or FUNimation get it considering that Netflix is satisfied with their upcoming originals (e.g. Vampire in the Garden, Orbital Children) and their licensed titles they have (e.g. Shaman King 2021, Edens Zero, Blue Period, Komi Can't Communicate).

It's worth mentioning that CR has another industry panel at Anime Frontier this coming early December which is another anime convention that is "powered" (heavily sponsored) by CR. Also Jump Festa is happening in December as well where leakers are highly speculating Chainsaw Man info will be released there. CR most likely has more announcements they'll make over there and hopefully Chainsaw Man and Jujutsu Kaisen 0 Movie are part of them...

A reliable leaker said that Netflix is eyeing to license Chainsaw Man, so we'll see.
paulchaested

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2021 5:19 pm Reply with quote
Ryuji-Dono wrote:

A reliable leaker said that Netflix is eyeing to license Chainsaw Man, so we'll see.

Yeah I saw that leaker's info as well. I think he said he's not 100% certain but I wouldn't be surprised if Netflix paid a king's ransom to get it. I hope it ain't true.
Ryuji-Dono

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2021 5:20 pm Reply with quote
paulchaested wrote:
Ryuji-Dono wrote:

Yeah I saw that leaker's info as well. I think he said he's not 100% certain but I wouldn't be surprised if Netflix paid a king's ransom to get it. I hope it ain't true.

Well, they could release it weekly.
Ak Animax

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2021 5:28 pm Reply with quote
I hope Crunchyroll use CA Dubbing studios only for their own shows
And for upcoming future shows don't let a certain company dub ‼️ Anime exclamation

As an Issue need to be discussed about future English dubbing situations Since Funimation owns crunchyroll(Which use LA Studios in most of their Dubbed shows) after the merge I am afraid they will use only texas voice actors for their next licenced shows( Like they[Funimation] will have monopoly over Anime voiceover industry too] LA studios will be somehow affected by this(Unless Funimation sets up a branch in California ) Some voice actors have showed concerns over that u know https://twitter.com/BenjaminDiskin/status/1424868332138766373?s=19
DisneyXAnimefan95

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2021 5:29 pm Reply with quote
paulchaested wrote:
Ryuji-Dono wrote:

It all comes down to whether Netflix is interested in licensing Chainsaw Man, regardless if Netflix has the deep pockets or just let Crunchyroll and/or FUNimation get the license of the show instead considering that Netflix is satisfied with their upcoming anime originals they announced (e.g. Vampire in the Garden, Orbital Children, Kotaro Lives Alone) and their licensed titles they have (e.g. Shaman King 2021, Edens Zero, Blue Period, Komi Can't Communicate, JoJo: Stone Ocean, Tiger & Bunny 2) following their November 9th Anime Day event. Same can be said with the upcoming Bleach Thousand-Year Blood War anime, Netflix could get this and outbid Crunchyroll or FUNimation much like what happened when Netflix got Shaman King 2021, Edens Zero, Blue Period, Komi Can't Communicate, JoJo: Stone Ocean them before Funimation or Crunchyroll could get those titles or just let Funimation and/or Crunchyroll get the Bleach Thousand-Year Blood War arc.

Even it shows further when Prime Video managed to outbid Netflix for the final Rebuild Evangelion film and the rest of the Rebuild Evangelion movies over Netflix, despite having the streaming license of the original NGE series and films in 2019.

Last edited by DisneyXAnimefan95 on Sat Nov 20, 2021 5:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
MFrontier

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2021 5:29 pm Reply with quote
In/Spectre season 2 is no surprise, but Crunchyroll's also snagging some big upcoming romcoms too...although they haven't bothered dubbing those in a while, so if anyone was hoping for that they might be disappointed.

SpyxFamily is probably the biggest get.
Ryuji-Dono

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2021 6:03 pm Reply with quote
@DisneyXAnimefan95,

I think that was Khara's doing though.
09jcg

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2021 6:25 pm Reply with quote
MFrontier wrote:
In/Spectre season 2 is no surprise, but Crunchyroll's also snagging some big upcoming romcoms too...although they haven't bothered dubbing those in a while, so if anyone was hoping for that they might be disappointed.

SpyxFamily is probably the biggest get.
I think a Couple of Cuckoos will be a lock for a dub, since it's a pretty big name manga as far as rom coms go. I would say its on the Nagatoro level, and that one got a dub, all be it after the series aired. Shikimore im not sure about
DisneyXAnimefan95

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2021 8:54 pm Reply with quote
@Ryuji-Dono,

I don't know if Khara made the decision to choose Prime Video over Netflix, but at the end of the day Prime Video outbid Netflix for the final Rebuild Evangelion film.

Last edited by DisneyXAnimefan95 on Sun Nov 21, 2021 12:14 pm; edited 2 times in total
Farhanawesome

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2021 4:13 am Reply with quote
Ak Animax wrote:
And for upcoming future shows don't let a certain company dub ‼️ Anime exclamation

As an Issue need to be discussed about future English dubbing situations Since Funimation owns crunchyroll(Which use LA Studios in most of their Dubbed shows) after the merge I am afraid they will use only texas voice actors for their next licenced shows( Like they[Funimation] will have monopoly over Anime voiceover industry too] LA studios will be somehow affected by this(Unless Funimation sets up a branch in California ) Some voice actors have showed concerns over that u know https://twitter.com/BenjaminDiskin/status/1424868332138766373?s=19

Hey no fear. Thanks to remote reccording dub since mid 2020 until recently, lots L.A VA's like Faye Mata, Kayli Mills, JYB, Khoi Dao, Ben Diskin ( He's appeared on MHA dub ), Xanthe Huynh, Zeno Robinson, Cassandra Lee Morris, Anairis Quinones, Ryan Colt Levy, Suzie Yeung, Patrick Seitz, Casey Mongilo etc. began appearing on Funimation's simuldub and some batch BD dubs.
DisneyXAnimefan95

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2021 7:17 pm Reply with quote
Farhanawesome wrote:
Ak Animax wrote:

Hey no fear. Thanks to remote reccording dub since mid 2020 until recently, lots L.A VA's like Faye Mata, Kayli Mills, JYB, Khoi Dao, Ben Diskin ( He's appeared on MHA dub ), Xanthe Huynh, Zeno Robinson, Cassandra Lee Morris, Anairis Quinones, Ryan Colt Levy, Suzie Yeung, Patrick Seitz, Casey Mongilo etc. began appearing on Funimation's simuldub and some batch BD dubs.

Not to mention in some Los Angeles based dubs during the pandemic we also saw some Dallas-based voice actors making appearances in certain LA dubs such as Micah Solusod, Alexis Tipton, Eric Vale, Trina Nishimura, Brittney Karbowski in the Live-Action Rurouni Kenshin films along with Tia Ballard, Colleen Clinkenbeard, Rob McCollum, and Monica Rial appearing in the Edens Zero dub.
JonDoe

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2021 7:22 pm Reply with quote
I'm surprised Crunchyroll got Spy x Family instead of Netflix. Especially because of how many high profile anime Netflix has been getting they're hands on lately. I'm glad Crunchyroll is the one who got Spy x Family.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2