• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Netflix Adds Stand by Me Doraemon 2 Film on December 24

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2021 7:26 am Reply with quote
I don't get it. Why are they licensing the sequel movie and not the original one?
CastMember1991

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2021 7:44 am Reply with quote
FireChick wrote:
I don't get it. Why are they licensing the sequel movie and not the original one?

I have a feeling they'll be dubbing the first film too. My gut also tells me that most of the Bang Zoom! cast, mainly those who played Doraemon, Noby, Big G, Sneech, and Sue, will be reprising their roles. I hope it's true; especially since Cassandra Morris did such a good job as Sue. She's a great voice actress, with the role of that white red-eyed freak Kyubey from Madoka Magica putting her on the map.
ChibiGoku

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2021 8:27 am Reply with quote
CastMember1991 wrote:
FireChick wrote:

I have a feeling they'll be dubbing the first film too. My gut also tells me that most of the Bang Zoom! cast, mainly those who played Doraemon, Noby, Big G, Sneech, and Sue, will be reprising their roles. I hope it's true; especially since Cassandra Morris did such a good job as Sue. She's a great voice actress, with the role of that white red-eyed freak Kyubey from Madoka Magica putting her on the map.

The first movie is showing up to being added soon on Netflix (though not showing up via search it seems). You can see it here:

https://www.netflix.com/title/80158156

That said, the movies already went up on Japanese Netflix with a dub on both. The first movie uses the Bang Zoom dub done years ago and also restores the ending song (which has been replaced originally, though Bang Zoom reportedly DID dub it, but rights holders in Japan, likely music label, told them no). The sequel movie, the dub cast comes back and is once again produced by Bang Zoom, as well. Both movies also have proper subtitle tracks for both movies on Japanese audio (using Japanese names). The second movie retains the English names on the dub, likely for consistency.
OjaruFan2

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2021 10:12 am Reply with quote
Just in time for Christmas!

CastMember1991 wrote:
Cassandra Morris did such a good job as Sue. She's a great voice actress, with the role of that white red-eyed freak Kyubey from Madoka Magica putting her on the map.

I agree. It's always a pleasure hearing her Smile

ChibiGoku wrote:

[The first movie] restores the ending song (which has been replaced originally, though Bang Zoom reportedly DID dub it, but rights holders in Japan, likely music label, told them no).

Just curious, where did you find out that they reportedly dubbed the ending song?
FukuchiChiisaia

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2021 11:26 am Reply with quote
FireChick wrote:

Because there's demand for that in Asia region. Most of Doraemon fans here already watched the first one, so focusing on new license is no brainer.

In fact, almost every single regional streaming service are fighting for Doraemon's movie license.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2021 11:49 am Reply with quote
Well, nice to see Doraemon getting a little more love in the West after the Disney Anime hyper airing of the show didn't pan out so well.
ChibiGoku

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2021 12:41 pm Reply with quote
OjaruFan2 wrote:

ChibiGoku wrote:

[The first movie] restores the ending song (which has been replaced originally, though Bang Zoom reportedly DID dub it, but rights holders in Japan, likely music label, told them no).

Just curious, where did you find out that they reportedly dubbed the ending song?

It's been awhile, so I can't say for certain, but I recall reading about this awhile back. I seem to remember the source coming from someone working on the dub, but I may be misremembering some details.
CastMember1991

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2021 1:05 pm Reply with quote
MFrontier wrote:
Well, nice to see Doraemon getting a little more love in the West after the Disney XD airing of the show didn't pan out so well.

Disney XD's anime ambitions as a whole didn't go as planned. Remember Yo-kai Watch? That too premiered on Disney XD. That too bombed; despite some sources saying it would be the next Pokémon (the games the show was based on were creamed by more popular game franchises like Final Fantasy, Call of Duty, Pokémon). Turns out for people to watch it needs to be on a network people have like the main network.
SleepyBat

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2021 5:19 pm Reply with quote
there's no need to speculate on it. netflix already has a placeholder page up for the first film up on their upcoming page in the US, saying "details available soon" - https://www.netflix.com/title/80158156
will probably be coming the same day the sequel is added but who knows.

also idk where all the stuff about the ED song (originally) being dubbed came from. i remember when the movie's dub first started sprawling online among fans someone replaced it with a fan-made cover from youtube and people assumed it was an official thing, so maybe we're just thinking of that.
vgiannell5

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2021 12:02 am Reply with quote
Why remove both Fullmetal Alchemist series?
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2021 1:47 am Reply with quote
vgiannell5 wrote:
Why remove both Fullmetal Alchemist series?

License expired, probably.
SleepyBat

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2021 10:00 am Reply with quote
SleepyBat wrote:
there's no need to speculate on it. netflix already has a placeholder page up for the first film up on their upcoming page in the US, saying "details available soon" - https://www.netflix.com/title/80158156
will probably be coming the same day the sequel is added but who knows.

update to this - it's now in fact being listed to release on the same day as the sequel, december 24th
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2021 11:32 am Reply with quote
I really enjoyed Stand By Me Doraemon. The CG worked and the story was heartwarming. The English dub was decent, too, aside from the lame name changes for Western audiences. Mona Marshall and Johnny Yong Bosch both did really well.

I'll definitely watch the second one when it comes out.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1