• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Selective Enforcement

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Animeking1108

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 7:10 pm Reply with quote
The other day I commented on this thread: animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=3168749

I compared Komi to Nagatoro, and I later explained that I didn't like Nagatoro because she was an unlikable bully. One response justified Nagatoro's behavior by claiming Senpai deserved it for his cynical attitude. I replied with "Yes, he's a little cynical. Truly a villain who deserved to get beaten and harassed until he cried.". When I dropped the sarcasm, I said "Bum off with that victim blaming BS.". Later, my response got deleted for "soapboxing," but the post I responded to stayed.

How was I soapboxing? Because I used a buzzword like "victim blaming"? In that same post, someone went on a tangent against political correctness, but his rant didn't get removed either. I'm getting mixed messages here. What qualifies as soapboxing? Justifying bullying and whining about political correctness is fine, but if you accuse somebody of victim blaming, your ass is grass? This feels like Selective Enforcement
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2021 6:50 am Reply with quote
Actually I've had a similar experience with being moderated for "soap-boxing." I've discovered the moderators take a few liberties in its actual meaning, but that's kind of a good thing for both mods and users.

Here's the actual rule as stated in the official Forum Rules:
Quote:
• Post relevant, thoughtful responses. Consider if what you are writing is relevant or important to others. Engaging in bad faith arguments is not allowed. If you are not interested in what the other party has to say, you are not discussing the topic; you are soap-boxing.

The reason your "ass was grass" fits this definition quite well actually. The other poster may have been a bit edgy and insulting (and that can result in moderation too), but I'm guessing its because your post showed a lack of interest in valuing and respecting other's comments.

So while a more accurate definition of soap-boxing may be how the term was originally coined (standing on top of a box to draw more attention to your voice), there are other uses of this term that mods tend to take very seriously if you're not careful (see disclaimer that interpretation of the rules can vary from one mod to the next).
Animeking1108

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2021 11:37 am Reply with quote
What was there to respect about justifying bullying?
Errinundra

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2021 7:00 pm Reply with quote
In the thread I wrote,

Errinundra wrote:
Removed soapboxing posts and responses.

You weren't soapboxing. You were part of the "and responses" and, hence, collateral damage.

One of the dilemmas mods face is where someone quotes a post that warrants removal. The first issue is that by leaving the response the mod is effectively allowing the original post to be read. Second, the good post usually makes little sense without the context of the first post.

I regret the grief this may have caused you. When I get a chance (I'm at work at the moment) I'll review your posts to see if they can be reinstated without referencing the other person, who I'm not naming. They are a continuous soapboxer across multiple threads.

Update: I've added back in your reply to Redbeard 101, but the other post contains the line, "Truly a villain who deserved to get beaten and harassed until he started crying. Bum right off with that victim blaming BS". That may be tongue in cheek, but it's a nasty thing to write. That post can stay in The Vault.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2021 9:54 pm Reply with quote
Just to put it out there, it's also quite different to ask for clarification civilly, as opposed to tossing around accusations and insults without all the information. Maybe calmly ask first, toss around accusations and insults second.
Animeking1108

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2021 10:29 am Reply with quote
Redbeard 101 wrote:
Just to put it out there, it's also quite different to ask for clarification civilly, as opposed to tossing around accusations and insults without all the information. Maybe calmly ask first, toss around accusations and insults second.

In my defense, there is only so many ways "he deserved to get bullied" can get taken out of context.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1