• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
My Senpai Is Annoying (TV).

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2021 10:35 am Reply with quote

My Senpai Is Annoying (TV)

Genres: comedy, romance, slice of life
Themes: office

Plot Summary: Futuaba Igarashi is a spirited, hard-working, but tiny office worker that is often mistaken for a child. However, what annoys her even more is her big, loud, and boisterous senpai, Harumi Takeda. Despite her complaints, though, she starts to feel attracted to him and must come to grips with her feelings.

Oct. 9, 2021 (Saturdays; FUNimation)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 11:43 am Reply with quote
Episode 01: Each Other's Stride

Summary: (Same as premise. Future episodes will get their own unique summaries).
----------------------------------

Comments: Thought I would throw some rom-com titles into my seasonal viewing, 'cause who doesn't like a good one? Just from looking at the key art, I thought Igarashi was gonna' be one of those tsundere types right from the get-go. But I was surprised at how quickly she started to fall for the guy. I guess the audience is to assume they've been working together for a while.

In terms of art, the manga isn't too detailed to begin with, so I'm already liking the anime for its simple and quaint color scheme. It's a little reminiscent of pre-digital anime and gives the show an almost vintage aesthetic. The backgrounds are a bit ho-hum in concept, since they're a lot of office, street, and restaurant settings, but there's a surprising amount of detail in many of the shots. I'm not too familiar with Doga Kobo's filmography, but they seem to do a lot of comedy and slice-of-life titles, and this is definitely feeling right up their alley.

In terms of audio, the soundtrack is composed by Hiroaki Tsutsumi, which is a bit of a shocker, considering a couple of his previous works include Dr. Stone and Jujutsu Kaisen, two fairly action-y and fantastical shounen series. His score for this is fairly reserved with a mix of piano and acoustic guitar pieces, but rom-coms don't necessarily call for a lot. The OP (played at the end and sung by the main female cast) is quite catchy, though. Voice-wise, Igarashi is played by Tomori Kusunoki, and Takeda by Shunsuke Takeuchi. Both are relatively new, and I'm not familiar with their other works. But it does feel like they have some decent chemistry, and she definitely does a good tsundere.

I can't even remember the last rom-com title I watched, so that might be part of the reason this intrigues me. It's also intended for the josei demographic, which I feel tends to be better for romance stories because the characters are usually more mature in those. Hopefully this will be fun and full of heart.
----------------------------------

Caps:

DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2021 12:24 am Reply with quote
Episode 12 (finale)

I rather enjoyed this series, the last episode having Igarashi starting to face the idea that she might not always be by Takeda's in that senpai/kohai relationship, and that gives her feelings that she is clearly very attached to him, in a romantic sense. Not that we got anything like a proper confession.

I like Igarashi, and her insecurity makes her a more interesting character, but the constant need for her to have to say that she is not a kid despite her looks, does get a bit tiring. It doesn't need to be her one defining trait that she looks young, especially the face of this being one of the rarer working adults series. The series also feels in line with a number of other senpai kohai series like Uzaki-chan and Nagatoro-san, although the mechanics are kind of reversed where the male senpai teases a bit, but not so much to really be a problem. Although I can't imagine just patting people would make them happy.

The show was mostly cute, and interesting enough that it was something that I was more looking forward to. My rating is going to be Very good (7/10), at least one of my picks of the season.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2022 3:06 pm Reply with quote
This show just doesn't work for me because the GIANT burly man coupled with a character who's small enough to be his preteen daughter is just....so.....off-putting. Same reason I chose not to watch Ore Monogatari. (ok fine, it's also because the MC is super ugly xD)

Add onto the fact that I can't even grasp why Igarashi would be into him...like...girl...get better taste. Laughing

And I DO like age gap/ ships with smol girl and taller guy...but lordy lord...the contrast is just way too extreme here. It looks visually absurd how she doesn't even come up to his waist!? I have my limits....you know? Confused It looks weird and I can't get past that.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2022 3:42 pm Reply with quote
The size difference is what always cracked me up and made the show cute for me. I'm also biased toward workplace comedies since they are so much rarer than anime set in schools (heck even anime set in college gets my interest up). The show is definitely not a stand-out in my eyes, but I always found it an agreeable way to pass 25 minutes.
Piglet the Grate

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2022 10:35 pm Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:
Add onto the fact that I can't even grasp why Igarashi would be into him...like...girl...get better taste. Laughing

Note that Takeda is pretty much a younger version of Igarashi's grandfather.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2022 9:52 am Reply with quote
Also, why wouldn't she like Igarashi? He's super dependable and as her mentor has really helped develop her professionally. Face it, Chiibi, you're just biased against big men (written by a 6'6", 235-pound dude)! Sad Wink
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2022 7:57 pm Reply with quote
@Chiibi

The height differential is not that far from reality. My sister is 5'1" and once dated a guy who was 6'8". That is not that much of a difference from the anime. She ended up marrying a guy who is about 6'. Their oldest daughter is 4'11" and married a man who is about 6'1".
Piglet the Grate

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2022 9:12 pm Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
@Chiibi

The height differential is not that far from reality. My sister is 5'1" and once dated a guy who was 6'8". That is not that much of a difference from the anime. She ended up marrying a guy who is about 6'. Their oldest daughter is 4'11" and married a man who is about 6'1".

Based on the known size of office equipment, I estimate Futaba Igarashi to be about 4'-1" and Harumi Takeda about 6'-2".
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2022 11:37 am Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:

I travel in odd circles, end up in even weirder places but that is the first time I've ever heard anyone say something bad about Takeda. The guy's a warm teddy bear of friendship and support, there's nothing wrong in liking that.

Takeda liking Futaba Igurashi, that's bit more of a... If Futaba liked Takeda because he reminds her of her grandfather is one thing but if it turned Takeda had a younger sister who was like Igurashi and that was why he liked her, that would be a problem. Having a type of guy you like turn out to be the same type as your father figure that is fine... maybe?.... having Futaba as your preferred female type is... difficult, fraught with peril.

But we can't talk about relationship red flags without bring up Futaba's friend who seems to like little boys. His precocious crush is cute, a predatory cat like lady who seemingly crushes back is not.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2022 12:16 pm Reply with quote
I don't think Takeda has a Lolita Complex. I think he likes her because she works hard, always wants to improve and she's adorable when she gets riled up (thus fun to tease). I also don't think that Igurashi likes Takeda because he reminds her of her grandfather. In fact, I think if he really did remind her of her grandfather, she would probably go running at speed in the opposite direction. I think Animegomaniac's bang on characterization of him as a "warm teddy bear of friendship and support" is all the explanation we need about her interest in him.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2022 3:29 pm Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
Chiibi wrote:

I travel in odd circles, end up in even weirder places but that is the first time I've ever heard anyone say something bad about Takeda.

I'm not saying he's a "bad guy"....but giving my opinion as an adult woman like Futaba....this man has zero sex appeal xD

So it's like....it requires a large suspension of disbelief that she's into him. He feels like 'the big brother' type...or even an uncle or dad. "Boyfriend" material....uh, not so much.

Feeling uncomfortable about the size difference may also have to do with me being VERY small like Futaba and wincing at the idea of such a huge guy being....intimate...like....wouldn't she get physically hurt, here?

It's not something I can picture....nor do I want to...but as they are adults and the show is a rom-com, you can't help but think how very incompatible they would be....if they were to get married, y'know?

....and the ANN article about the show has already made....size jokes...yeah. I guess I'm not the only one thinking about it. >_>
Piglet the Grate

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2022 7:48 pm Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:

So it's like....it requires a large suspension of disbelief that she's into him. He feels like 'the big brother' type...or even an uncle or dad. "Boyfriend" material....uh, not so much.

I find much less suspension of belief for Futaba to find Takeda attractive, than for Hayase Nagatoro to find Naoto Hachioji attractive in Don't Toy With Me, Miss Nagatoro (but I have been flamed for expressing the latter opinion).
Chiibi

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2022 10:20 pm Reply with quote
Haha, well, I think she just likes 'sheep'. Laughing Look at his fluffy hair.
(but yeah, I know what you mean)

In all honesty, it's simply wish fulfillment.

I feel like both series are. I was rather surprised Senpai is aimed at a josei audience...because 'cute girl paired with unattractive guy' is such a staple of the seinen/shounen demographic...although I find the 'plain' male MCs of series from even that demographic more appealing than Takeda, personally. Most of 'em are....thin and scrawny and don't look like they can snap me in half like a toothpick.Laughing
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1