• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Initial D Successor Manga MF Ghost Briefly Listed With 2023 TV Anime

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RockSplash

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2021 6:27 pm Reply with quote
So, I am pretty sure there won't be a eurobeat soundtrack for this. What music fits MF ghost the best?
Ryuji-Dono

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2021 6:39 pm Reply with quote
Will it have EuroBeat? Very Happy
Zhou-BR

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2021 6:57 pm Reply with quote
Ryuji-Dono wrote:
Will it have EuroBeat? Very Happy

Good question. This series is set in some sort of near future, which would make a eurobeat soundtrack even more anachronistic than it was in the latter installments of Initial D, but the Initial D Legend movies are about to get a battle compilation OVA with a eurobeat soundtrack, so if Avex is part of the MF Ghost production committee, they might still want to push those European artists.
Banken

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2021 9:06 pm Reply with quote
Having a "grip to weight ratio" be the only rule is completely nonsensical to anyone who knows anything about motorsports. A power to grip ratio would have made a lot more sense.
CastMember1991

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2021 11:51 pm Reply with quote
Gotta love the Toyota 86 being front and center. I got my hands on one of those babies at the height of the pandemic, and it's an absolute blast to drive.
taster of pork

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2022 1:04 am Reply with quote
I'm big fan of Initial D. So I'll definitely check this out. And I'll also be really bummed if there's no Eurobeat.
Tessou

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2022 1:40 am Reply with quote
A poorly selling manga with a boring plot and vague direction gets the greenlight because an author that flamed out creatively in 2007 put his name on it. Go figure.

The renders shown look like the creative director doesn't understand what lighting is. The cars have assets with varying texture resolutions, making for an unpleasant image to look at as the eyes have to adjust. All the cars appear to have a glow to dark edges. Anyone expecting a better effort put into the race scenes by this studio, infamous for minimizing movement and frames, is going to be in for another disappointment after their "attempt" with the Initial D Legend movies.

Go read the first few volumes of MF Ghost, and despair. There is nothing of value or interest. Shigeno bringing in Initial D characters for cameos didn't save it from abysmal sales figures. An anime will only emphasize its flaws.
RockSplash

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2022 1:46 am Reply with quote
Tessou wrote:
A poorly selling manga with a boring plot and vague direction gets the greenlight because an author that flamed out creatively in 2007 put his name on it. Go figure.

The renders shown look like the creative director doesn't understand what lighting is. The cars have assets with varying texture resolutions, making for an unpleasant image to look at as the eyes have to adjust. All the cars appear to have a glow to dark edges. Anyone expecting a better effort put into the race scenes by this studio, infamous for minimizing movement and frames, is going to be in for another disappointment after their "attempt" with the Initial D Legend movies.

Go read the first few volumes of MF Ghost, and despair. There is nothing of value or interest. Shigeno bringing in Initial D characters for cameos didn't save it from abysmal sales figures. An anime will only emphasize its flaws.

You already are criticizing the anime even though all we have is a picture? I mean, crazy thought: Maybe they can improve from the Legend movies. Honestly, I really don't find the legend movies as bad as you think, but to each his own.
The_Daytona_500

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2022 3:30 am Reply with quote
Tessou wrote:

Seeing as the race scenes in the Legend movies were absolutely gorgeous, I could not be more hyped for this.
Chris Handsome

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2022 3:37 am Reply with quote
No anime will ever top the driving in Riding Bean.
Flared

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2022 7:12 am Reply with quote
CastMember1991 wrote:
Gotta love the Toyota 86 being front and center. I got my hands on one of those babies at the height of the pandemic, and it's an absolute blast to drive.

I owned one of them until recently (just traded it in for a GR Yaris), and it is easily the best handling car I have ever driven.

Even if it would be "anachronistic" to have Eurobeat, it would be a good decision to have it. To some car enthusiasts in Japan, Eurobeat is associated with racing and driving fast, so it would still fit. Also, if Avex have anything to do with the production of this anime, it is almost certainly going to be used.
CastMember1991

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2022 12:26 pm Reply with quote
Flared wrote:
CastMember1991 wrote:

I owned one of them until recently (just traded it in for a GR Yaris), and it is easily the best handling car I have ever driven.

Even if it would be "anachronistic" to have Eurobeat, it would be a good decision to have it. To some car enthusiasts in Japan, Eurobeat is associated with racing and driving fast, so it would still fit. Also, if Avex have anything to do with the production of this anime, it is almost certainly going to be used.

If Toyota ended up being the primary sponsor for this anime, it would definitely make sense.
Joa

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2022 2:30 pm Reply with quote
Tessou wrote:

It doesn't sell poorly at all. It has 3 million copies in circulation which is pretty good for 12 volumes.
Philmister978

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2022 11:41 pm Reply with quote
RockSplash wrote:
Tessou wrote:

I think he's criticizing the manga itself. I'm pretty sure that quality-wise, the anime will probably be a step up in comparison.
You already are criticizing the anime even though all we have is a picture? I mean, crazy thought: Maybe they can improve from the Legend movies. Honestly, I really don't find the legend movies as bad as you think, but to each his own.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1