• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
In the Land of Leadale (TV).

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2022 9:42 am Reply with quote

In the Land of Leadale (TV)

Genres: adventure, fantasy
Themes: isekai, virtual world

Plot Summary: After a horrific accident put her on life support, the last vestige of freedom Keina Kagami had was in the VRMMORPG World of Leadale. When she wakes up in the body of her game avatar, though, Keina—now Cayna—finds that the worries of her old life appear to be a thing of the past, but somehow this new land doesn't seem to be quite the Leadale she remembers...

Jan. 5, 2022 (Wednesdays; Crunchyroll)
----------------------------------

TV anime adaptation based on the light novel.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2022 4:52 am Reply with quote
Episode 3

I am enjoying this show quite a bit. It kind of makes me think of a mix between Bofuri and Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear, You have an isekai meet game setting, with an overly powerful main female character, without too much angst.

Mostly just some nice fun stuff. There is a touch of darkness, since she was apparently bedridden in her previous life, where her time in VR was to escape the prison of her body, and apparently died in hospital. But I think that it managing to be pretty good, even making me laugh a few times so far.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2022 1:37 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I'm going along with this so far. The fact that she is a "mother" to two sons and a daughter is a bit different. I'm definitely vibing with the comedic tone, so far.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2022 7:37 pm Reply with quote
Think of the show as the Laid Back Camp version of the trapped in a game genre. There is some action, but Cayna is so overpowered that it isn't an issue. Something the show left out. When she takes stock after waking up, she noted in the first episode that her level was 1100. Even when the game was active, the maximum was 1000. She was one of a small group that was given a special quest for the extra 100 levels. There are mysteries and surprises to come.

I strongly recommend reading the novels. There is a wealth of detail that had to be left out of the anime.

@Blood- She is a seventeen year old mother of three.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 10:17 am Reply with quote
Alan45... well, I did say it was "a bit" different. Laughing
Cam0

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2022 3:26 pm Reply with quote
Episode 6

I sort of like this show's light hearted tone. I like the surprised faces everyone makes when Cayna does something absurd. But I was a bit weirded out by this episode. The tone of the scene didn't give the impression that Cayna was about to literally kill the bandit leader, but the dialogue and the actions taken by the characters sure gave that impression. I thought Cayna was simply going to give the bandit leader dude a painful bump on the head. But the elf granddaughter's interruption, Cayna's insistence on "finishing off" the dude and the elf granddaughter gripping her sword in protest: none of that would make sense if Cayna wasn't being serious. But the tone of the scene, the overall tone of the show and Cayna's personality all clash so harshly with killing surrendered criminals in cold-blood that I'm kinda confused what I'm supposed to make of that scene. Maybe Cayna is actually Ainz Ooal Gown. I mean she did spend only about a total of 5 seconds feeling sad about turning that one bandit dude into frozen chunks earlier in the show.

As a side note I liked how the fairy was mimicking Cayna.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2022 7:39 pm Reply with quote
@Cam0

It is not that she wants to kill him, she feels she has to. What else do you do with a amoral, heartless, psycopathic mass murderer? One that you can't imprison and as far as she knows, no one else in the world can kill. As she noted, she doesn't think he can get out of the punishment collar, but if he does he can destroy any prison and kill anyone sent against him. Also she can't see what is in his item box and can't take it away from him.

We later find out that spoiler[the authorities sentence him to die but find that even cutting his head off doesn't kill him. It is not enough damage to kill a demon before he regenerates his HP.]
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2022 10:38 pm Reply with quote
And the player demon guy doesn't see the people of the world as actual people, instead as NPCs that it is alright to do whatever he wants.
Cam0

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2022 7:04 am Reply with quote
This had been a video game. "Now this video game is actually real" makes no sense so the demon guy treating all this like a video game because it literally was a video game makes some sense. Him not seeing what had previously been NPCs as not actual people actually obscures the morality of his actions.

Besides what I was arguing is that the show isn't equipped to deal with this kind of moral dilemma. This had been about Cayna's whimsical adventures and her dumbfounding everyone with her amazing powers. Dealing with a murderer whose level is so high that only Cayna is able subdue him isn't the kind of content that fits with how the show had been so far. That's some serious shit and the show's playful light hearted tone isn't a good match for it.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2022 8:23 am Reply with quote
Actually, the show doesn't deal with the issue. It just lays it out and then moves on. This is the second time we encountered this issue. The first being her turning the bandit leader into an ice sculpture. I think Leadale had to at least acknowledge the issue since one of the underlying themes of the show is the divide between players and people in this world.

This particular dilemma is inherent in any story involving super heroes and super villains, including supernatural creatures with powers (vampires etc.). Most of those ignore it. It is one of the reasons I gave up on super hero comics. What do you do with a super hero gone bad, or worse, one doing bad things for "good" reasons.
Cam0

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2022 9:10 am Reply with quote
My issue with the whole thing isn't necessarily that the story explored it, it is that the tone didn't change. The lack of tonal shift is what confused me. While Cayna was about to hit the dude with the big stick, the tone didn't change which is why I initially thought that Cayna was merely going to hit him really hard to teach him a lesson, not kill him outright. The light hearted tone of the scene combined with the darker elements made for an odd dichotomy. Because of that it was difficult to figure out exactly how seriously I was supposed to take that scene.

The show made it look like comedy violence, but I was supposed to take it as real violence.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2022 8:23 pm Reply with quote
Cam0 wrote:
Quote:
The show made it look like comedy violence, but I was supposed to take it as real violence.

You are over thinking it a bit. The final blow was stopped to prevent her from being seen using real violence. That is, they didn't want the tone to change. Obviously they didn't quite succeed.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2022 4:38 am Reply with quote
Episode 12 (finale)

I sadly can't say this final arc really clicked with me. I think that it comes down to I don't feel confident that the show really sold me on the psychology of Cayna on what her being a mother means. As she kind of said in this episode, her actual parentage with her "children" was for her through the lens of game mechanics, I don't think it fully came to terms with what it means that there is a disconnect there. And yet she just makes herself the adopted mother of an orphan girl from a great tragedy, which just came across a little weird to me that she almost forced that dynamic with the girl, who I guess just has to accept it, rather than be traumatised that her mother probably just turned into a zombie.

Perhaps I am just thinking too much on it. The show kind of worked best when it really wasn't a thinking show. Such that I actually did enjoy her relationship with her family that she found out she had, when she actually never experienced certain parts that should be of that. There was a good deal of comedy, that as an easy slice of life was just a fun show within the video turned real life isekai, could really jell with me.

Also, it did kind of annoy me that she got those materials to build a house (just wood/lumber), and then the house was fully furnished with things that were not just wood or stone. Maybe just me, but I was kind of thinking why bother with the wood when she clearly didn't need to worry about the metal, glass, and I thin various fabrics. Whether there was plumbing too. It is nit-picking, but I do think some of the focus on details can be a good part of shows like this. Just like the focus of what Cayna's other children think of her new life plan.

Did the fairy even appear in this last episode? Unless my mind is not remembering quite right, it almost feels like she just stopped appearing and was replaced by the orphan girl. And I don't know how happy a mermaid would really be if she was stuck in a bath that kept her from I guess doing the mermaid equivalent of stretching her legs.

But I did enjoy the show. I give it a rating of Very good (7/10), it might have done anything amazing, but it was one of the shows I looked forward to for the season.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2022 12:29 pm Reply with quote
Yep, it certainly was.... something to watch for 22 minutes.

Why I had no problem with this one but couldn't bother with the Killed Slimes to Max Level one... I don't know.... I think it may just be that I only watched 3 other shows this season and that one was packed.

But I enjoyed my time with it. Something to catch in the middle of the week.

^^^
The fairy did show up a couple times. She was doing her usual thing, aping Cayna's actions behind her head (hangover).

Although- IIRC (watched yesterday), she aped the little girl's actions at one point this episode.

I thought she was going to investigate the reason/purpose of the fairy before the season ended though. She seemed concerned about this unexpected gift from a sketchy player for about 5 minutes before- but just accepted it. And it did prove helpful that one time it warned Cayna of the Quest Monster Puffin destroying the town.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1