• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Kaori Yuki Launches Angel Sanctuary: Tokyo Chronos Manga on April 20

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
-Matthew-

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2022 8:54 am Reply with quote
Great news! I plan to read the manga.
SHD

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2022 10:33 am Reply with quote
Oh man, Angel Sanctuary. It was never my favorite work by Yuki Kaori (that's Shounen zanzou, and Earl Cain, that amazing hot mess that I think has never gotten the attention and respect it absolutely deserves), but I do remember reading it - even though I can barely remember anything from the story, only that it ended up kind of collapsing on itself the way these overly ambitious melodramas tend to, that special "this stopped making sense two volumes ago and I don't think I fully understand what's going on anymore and how it's even relevant, but damn if it's not really dramatic" way. I don't think I'm going to re-read it, but I do look forward to this new installment.

I wonder why it's getting a sequel/spinoff right now, though. (And why not Cain?! all Cain got was a few pages of epilogue way back that provided a complete closure, no fair.)

ETA:
Quote:
Viz Media has also published Yuki's Count Cain, The Cain Saga, Fairy Cube, Godchild, and Grand Guignol Orchestra manga in English.

Wait, what? Why does the list mention Cain three times? :O
Triltaison

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2022 12:17 pm Reply with quote
SHD wrote:

...Well, Godchild and Count Cain are two separate series released years apart where one is a direct sequel of the other. But the both of them together are called The Cain Saga, and it's a little weird the ANN encyclopedia entry seems to not reflect that. If I recall correctly, the original Count Cain series was called just that and then "The Cain Saga" labeling was added to include Godchild after it debuted. "The Cain Saga" should be treated as just a franchise page that links the other two related series like "Gundam" or whatever. To add to the confusion, Kaine is an entirely unrelated work and was never released in English.

Anyway! I'm rather looking forward to this new release. Angel Sanctuary is a series I really enjoyed once upon a time and it gives me a reason to go dust it off my shelves and give it another read. I've always lamented the lack of a real anime adaptation for it (3 episode OVA for 20 books pfffft), so maybe one might happen if there's enough interest in this new series.
pachy_boy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2022 1:28 pm Reply with quote
A new Angel Sanctuary?! I'm in!

I still have all the volumes of the original series, which is as insanely twisted a story as it is strangely beautiful (not to mention creative/imaginative like one wouldn't believe). Maybe it'll get republished should this new series get licensed? It's a distinct classic that deserves to be read and remembered. Either way, I'm genuinely looking forward to Kaori Yuki's follow-up!
AQuin1904

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2022 3:39 pm Reply with quote
Triltaison wrote:
SHD wrote:

...Well, Godchild and Count Cain are two separate series released years apart where one is a direct sequel of the other. But the both of them together are called The Cain Saga, and it's a little weird the ANN encyclopedia entry seems to not reflect that. If I recall correctly, the original Count Cain series was called just that and then "The Cain Saga" labeling was added to include Godchild after it debuted. "The Cain Saga" should be treated as just a franchise page that links the other two related series like "Gundam" or whatever. To add to the confusion, Kaine is an entirely unrelated work and was never released in English.

I don't know about current printings, but as far as US releases go, Viz published the first four Earl Cain (the UK doesn't have counts) stories in five volumes as The Cain Saga and Godchild as a separate title. (They also started publishing Godchild before the earlier books.) I don't see any "saga" branding on Japanese releases, so it seems like The Cain Saga is just the title Viz went with for everything before Godchild.

Looking forward to more Angel Sanctuary, although I can't imagine what could top the existing ending in terms of bizarre revelations.
Triltaison

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2022 4:51 pm Reply with quote
AQuin1904 wrote:
[I don't see any "saga" branding on Japanese releases, so it seems like The Cain Saga is just the title Viz went with for everything before Godchild.

Yeah, that's right. The Saga thing was advertised in Shojo Beat magazine at the time as the continuing adventures of Cain or somesuch thing. They discontinued running Godchild in the magazine and starting running promos for the other as a prequel around then. You're right that it was a distinctly Viz thing, but it was advertised as though it were a franchise. Probably just preparing in case Godchild also got a sequel.
SHD

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2022 5:18 pm Reply with quote
Triltaison wrote:
SHD wrote:

...Well, Godchild and Count Cain are two separate series released years apart where one is a direct sequel of the other. But the both of them together are called The Cain Saga, and it's a little weird the ANN encyclopedia entry seems to not reflect that. If I recall correctly, the original Count Cain series was called just that and then "The Cain Saga" labeling was added to include Godchild after it debuted. "The Cain Saga" should be treated as just a franchise page that links the other two related series like "Gundam" or whatever.

...well, if that was the logic behind the English release it's... pretty weird and doesn't make a whole lot of sense. It's most definitely not a case of "related series in the same franchise" or anything, there's an actual overarching plot going on in there! Yes, there was a hiatus between Red Ram and God Child, so God Child starts with a quick re-introduction of the main characters and the status quo, but it's not a standalone work at all. Hell, in the Japanese edition the whole thing is called "Earl Cain series" and that's that, the very first volume (The Forgotten Juliet) already has that branding. According to the original Hakusensha publication that I own:
Earl Cain series 1 - Wasurerareta Juliet (The Forgotten Juliet)
Earl Cain series 2 - Shounen no fuka suru oto (Sound of a Boy Hatching - how could anyone read say, God Child without having read this?!)
Earl Cain series 3 - Kafka
Earl Cain series 4 - Akai hitsuji no kokuin (The Sign of the Red Ram)
Earl Cain series 5 - God Child

Triltaison wrote:
To add to the confusion, Kaine is an entirely unrelated work and was never released in English.

How does Kaine come into the picture, though? It's as you said completely unrelated, it was never released in any way that could be connected to Earl Cain.
overlordrae

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2022 7:26 pm Reply with quote
Wow things I never expected to happen. A new Angel Sanctuary!?

Honestly not a huge fan of the current art I see but Kaori Yuki's black and white was always what I preferred.
Triltaison

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2022 1:39 am Reply with quote
@SHD: Yep, that's right. We got Godchild first in the US, so our story was out of order and a little confusing. The first half of Godchild serialized in Shojo Beat magazine, then it moved to releasing straight as collected graphic novels. The original Cain volumes came out at the same time as the last half of Godchild. Continuing issues of Shojo Beat and later Godchild volumes advertised the other Cain volumes as a prequel and/or standalone volumes. Each volume was titled with the same names as you listed, which is why 4 had a part 1 and 2 (instead of just being volume 5).

Kaine just happens to have a similar sounding title, but different spelling. It never got released in the US officially, but during the early internet days before Cain was licensed at all a lot of Western fans thought it was related somehow. I remember many fansites spreading misinformation about it back when all the information in English was a poor quality image of the cover and a title. It's probably been scanlated for well over a decade at this point and that's not a source of confusion anymore, but it used to be a hotly debated thing in the days of Angelfire websites and webrings. *shrug* I'm just old and remember all that junk.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1