• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Heroines Run the Show: The Unpopular Girl and the Secret Task

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
njprogfan
Collector Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2022 2:39 pm Reply with quote
I was skeptical having this show on my watch list, but I love perky plucky hardworking female protagonists like Hiyori especially when they're drawn NOT to look very pretty or cute. I'm sure when she wears her first cute outfit and her hair/makeup or whatever is done she'll transform. Then watch out idol boys! Will they fight over her? That's what I'm guessing...
Mami-kouga

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2022 4:48 pm Reply with quote
LipxLip is actually part of the more idol focused spin off of this song series. As a whole there isn't that much focus on romance there, I actually don't think any of the idols are in relationships last I checked.

That said, I'm actually rather fond of Hiyori. Both her and Mona (previews indicate you'll meet her eventually) are my favourite of the Honeyworks characters and Hiyori especially is so earnest I really enjoy seeing her win. Consequently, my love of these two girls have led me to hating LipxLip a fair bit! As episode 3 shows they do mellow out into being bearable but I still want to throttle them with Aizo's hideous half denim half flannel shirt. Their music is good though, much to my confliction lol.
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2022 11:19 pm Reply with quote
I like the female lead...but are our two idols supposed to be appealing in any way other then their character designs. Like I get they seem to be going through stuff and she's honestly just there to baby sit them and be their go-pher. But they are almost always actively terrible people not only to her but everyone else

I mean you can have bad boy or troubled leads totally, but they do like nothing to make these two just hateful and annoyed.
Mami-kouga

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2022 1:07 am Reply with quote
Tanteikingdomkey wrote:
I like the female lead...but are our two idols supposed to be appealing in any way other then their character designs. Like I get they seem to be going through stuff and she's honestly just there to baby sit them and be their go-pher. But they are almost always actively terrible people not only to her but everyone else

I mean you can have bad boy or troubled leads totally, but they do like nothing to make these two just hateful and annoyed.

If Hiyori is "Cinderella" they're basically meant to be her wicked steps sister's, you not finding them appealing is pretty much on purpose.
MagicPolly

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2022 1:28 am Reply with quote
I've written a few too many insane rambling posts about this show and it's very late so I'll keep it brief. I love the source material, I'm loving seeing where the anime is taking the plot, and I can't wait to see what comes next! We all should love the precious potato eyebrow girl.

Mami-kouga wrote:
If Hiyori is "Cinderella" they're basically meant to be her wicked steps sister's, you not finding them appealing is pretty much on purpose.

Yep, the Heroine Tarumono music video even depicts them as the wicked stepsisters.

I don't want to say that you're supposed to hate them, though only because they have their own storylines separate from Hiyori and they're definitely not solely supposed to be disliked.
wolf10

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2022 7:23 pm Reply with quote
MagicPolly wrote:
I've written a few too many insane rambling posts about this show and it's very late so I'll keep it brief. I love the source material, I'm loving seeing where the anime is taking the plot, and I can't wait to see what comes next! We all should love the precious potato eyebrow girl.
I have greatly appreciated your writeups thus far, because there's a lot of context to cram.
MagicPolly wrote:
I don't want to say that you're supposed to hate them, though only because they have their own storylines separate from Hiyori and they're definitely not solely supposed to be disliked.
I fully confess that I have problematic taste, because I love them at their absolute worst. Watching them drop the act and verbally destroy Yumeru was the perfect capstone on the three-episode test. These boys are perfect in every way. (Though I think Yujiro earned extra points with, "If she tries anything, I'll destroy her career." Laughing )
Saeryen

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2022 9:41 am Reply with quote
Episode 3 was excellent! And I definitely saw some fairy tale parallels there. spoiler[The musical actress was very much a wicked stepsister figure to Hiyori's princess protagonist, and the idols were awesome as Prince Charming]. I hope they explore these parallels some more, I love fairy tales.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Saeryen

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2022 1:02 pm Reply with quote
On Episode 4:
I LOVE the development between Hiyori and the boys. Little by little, they're opening up to each other, though the boys aren't quite out of their tsun phase yet.
spoiler[I really hope the next episode has them caring for her while she's recovering from her sprained ankle.]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2022 5:47 am Reply with quote
Quote:
While she beams with cuteness after seeing that they went with her medal idea

Was it her idea? I thought she was pleased because their coming up with the idea showed that they had actually been listening to her story about getting a medal and how it symbolized people's support of her efforts the way fans' gifts were supporting the duo.

Quote:
She's getting under their skin

Frankly, she's getting under mine too, at least her voice is. She's literally painful to listen to. I'm either going to have to keep my finger on the mute button, or learn to block her out. Maybe if I slow down the replay, it will drop her pitch into a range that doesn't feel like 4th of July to a dog.
Mami-kouga

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2022 1:37 pm Reply with quote
Ah, the wedding dream is in reference to the non fantasy mv, which is I think was either the first or second song Hiyori appeared in (though she didn't have a singing role until much later). Makes me nostalgic. Aizo's "trauma" is... interesting. He should work on that, I'm fond of his brother though, former Playboy current tsundere defroster.

Regardless, this episode ended on a troublesome note.
spoiler[ considering how much she runs just in preparation it can't be good that she's hesitant to ask for help and even ran on that bad leg ]
Mami-kouga

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2022 1:42 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Quote:
While she beams with cuteness after seeing that they went with her medal idea

Was it her idea? I thought she was pleased because their coming up with the idea showed that they had actually been listening to her story about getting a medal and how it symbolized people's support of her efforts the way fans' gifts were supporting the duo.

Quote:
She's getting under their skin

Frankly, she's getting under mine too, at least her voice is. She's literally painful to listen to. I'm either going to have to keep my finger on the mute button, or learn to block her out. Maybe if I slow down the replay, it will drop her pitch into a range that doesn't feel like 4th of July to a dog.

You can try watching without headphones if you're not already, I realized that I stopped finding her voice grating once I stopped doing that
MagicPolly

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2022 1:51 pm Reply with quote
Mami-kouga wrote:
Ah, the wedding dream is in reference to the non fantasy mv, which is I think was either the first or second song Hiyori appeared in (though she didn't have a singing role until much later).

Yep, she and Yuujiro appeared at the veeeeeery end of Koiiro ni Sake as a "here's the next gen!" thing but Nonfantasy was the first song where she actually had a focus. It was probably the first Lip x Lip song I listened to, since it was the opening for the 10 Centimeters anime.
Saeryen

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2022 2:07 pm Reply with quote
Mami-kouga wrote:
Aizo's "trauma" is... interesting. He should work on that

I get the feeling there’s more to it than his brother says (or even knows about). I think Steve came to the same conclusion there.
wolf10

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2022 8:29 am Reply with quote
Quote:
while I'm not 100% on what たるもの means in this context, I know enough to know it has nothing explicitly to do with running.

I can help with this one! "Heroine-taru-mono" basically means "Would-be Heroine," but way more affirming. English doesn't have a grammatical equivalent of "taru" that can both be concise and not sound insincere in translation. "Heroines Run the Show" preserves the affirmation and just puns with it, which is always an acceptable fallback.

Pretty sure the dancing this week was rotoscoped (but then again, so was Yuri!!! on Ice). The easy tell is both boys get half a head shorter and put on about 20 pounds of muscle. Definitely not complaining, though. Can they look like that normally?
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2022 11:42 am Reply with quote
But why make it "Heroines Run" instead of "The Heroine Runs"? It's bugged me from the start, because I keep wondering who the other heroines referenced are/will be.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3