• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: KISS Singer Gene Simmons Is Open-Minded About "Fictosexual" Otaku

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2022 12:14 pm Reply with quote
Kondo must go on an epic journey to rescue his love from the foul depths of the Gatebox dungeon.
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2022 12:50 pm Reply with quote
Well, he's not wrong you know, just because what someone 'leans' toward is a bit strange doesn't mean it's bad. As long as it gives happiness, and doesn't infringe on other people.

I probably wouldn't consider myself under that designation as I don't rule out a real life relationship(no matter how unlikely that may be...) but it must have been at least a decade ago last I tried using any kind of real life imagery as 'late-night material'.

I may find people cute or pretty, but trying to 'use' it sort of just feels, like, well, as if it were 'dead fish-eyes' parading. Real life imagery, whether images or video, and especially video, just lack that scope of potential imagination I find so endearing in its fictional counterparts...
JoelBurger

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2022 1:01 pm Reply with quote
Of course he is, his son is a weeb who blatantly plagiarized from Bleach in his terrible comics.
Chris Handsome

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2022 1:22 pm Reply with quote
JoelBurger wrote:
Of course he is, his son is a weeb who blatantly plagiarized from Bleach in his terrible comics.

Don't forget Hellsing.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2022 1:35 pm Reply with quote
So i decided today to rewatch Inception, seems like i chose the wrong day. i went online after and saw a post of gene Simmons defending a Japanese man for marrying Hatsune Miku, did I awake up this morning or am i still dreaming?
AmpersandsUnited

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2022 1:45 pm Reply with quote
Fictosexual, huh? Is that what we are now? Razz
Replica_Rabbit

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2022 2:54 pm Reply with quote
........The character isn't real and if they were real I doubt they would marry the dude (or anyone) because of Idol culture. It messes up that companies are exploiting these people with their unofficial marriage certificates.
It seems like we are on a fast track to companies selling people Androids, and that they have to pay the companies monthly or their Android would be shut down or taken away or the Android are "free" but they'll sell you stuff. That a grimdark future
cchigu

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2022 3:34 pm Reply with quote
AmpersandsUnited wrote:
Fictosexual, huh? Is that what we are now? Razz
Certainly not "we", at least, I am not that far gone.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2022 3:37 pm Reply with quote
Murder, She wrote:

The NY Post article reported on Akihiko Kondo's current relationship with Miku after unofficially marrying her in 2018. Tech company Gatebox sold unofficial marriage certificates and allowed users to interact with the character via hologram, but after the Hatsune Miku model ended service in 2020, Kondo has struggled to communicate with his chosen life partner. Nevertheless, he says that he is still as deeply in love with the Vocaloid as ever.

And now it's on TV too Laughing

https://vimeo.com/706688589

Blazi

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2022 3:43 pm Reply with quote
Leave the man alone, sheesh
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2022 4:20 pm Reply with quote
Hopefully, the hologram itself still works. I would think it would. It is probably the interactivity part that is disabled. If it was an automated service, he might be able to rig something up similiar, if he had some help.
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2022 4:20 pm Reply with quote
Is fictosexual part of LGBTQ+ now? Am I just misinterpreting the article?
SenpaiDuckie
ANN Community Manager

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2022 5:00 pm Reply with quote
SilverTalon01 wrote:
Is fictosexual part of LGBTQ+ now? Am I just misinterpreting the article?

Fictosexual is part of the LGBTQ+ umbrella, under the asexual identity category. But in this current headlines with Kondo-san, I could argue that this can go under the otaku subculture as well. Basically it means an otaku who has a romantic relationship and/or a sexual attraction with a fictional character... in this case... with Hatsune Miku.
OrdepNM

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2022 6:44 pm Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
Hopefully, the hologram itself still works. I would think it would. It is probably the interactivity part that is disabled. If it was an automated service, he might be able to rig something up similiar, if he had some help.

Only with some next level reverse engineering of the device, and even then it's dubious, since the Gatebox simply cannot work without a permanent internet connection and access to Gatebox's servers. If you're just talking about turning it into something that can play some saved MMD clip, honestly there are easier ways to accomplish that.

That said, the issue is enterely licensing based, rather than technical, so it's not entirely unsolvable. After the Hatsune Miku partnership, Gatebox did a lot of partnership with other properties (I recall Oreimo being one) but now with the new model it seems they want to stick with original characters only. Nevertheless, with all the attention this got, I wouldn't say it's impossible that they at least discuss the possibility of renewing the Miku model "by poplar demand", in order to keep the free publicity going.

Blazi wrote:
Leave the man alone, sheesh

Honestly, this. As a fellow Hatsune Miku enjoyer (glances at the glass cabinet full of Miku figures), I recall reading up on the guy when the marriage happened and while every article seemed to be written with a "crazy Japanese man is bizarre" slant, he always came across as a nice enough guy who just wants to be happy in his own little happy place, and not be bullied for it while going about his day. As anime fans, I'm sure alot of us can sympathize with that at least.

Now these new slew kf articles on him, all basically regurgitating the same story for clicks, are more of the same. They all do the clickbait of implying he's "struggling to communicate" with Miku because she's not real and he just didn't think that one through did he? Or that he married "a software" only for said software to be discontinued 4 years later... Completely skipping over the fact that his devotion to Miku predates the Gearbox. Only after getting the clickbait out of the way do they admit the whole story is about Hatsune Miku no longer being a featured character on Gatebox, which is non-news anywhere outside of very niche circles, at least without the "crazy Japanese man" angle. And in the end, this isn't even that big a deal for him as its not like the device was the cornerstone of his devotion to Miku, without which he can't possibly work (honestly, 4 years in he probably already saw every scripted interaction she has several times over).

Last edited by OrdepNM on Thu May 05, 2022 7:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2022 7:14 pm Reply with quote
SenpaiDuckie wrote:
Fictosexual is part of the LGBTQ+ umbrella, under the asexual identity category. But in this current headlines with Kondo-san, I could argue that this can go under the otaku subculture as well. Basically it means an otaku who has a romantic relationship and/or a sexual attraction with a fictional character... in this case... with Hatsune Miku.

Thank you for expanding on that for me.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2