• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Final Fantasy XV Game Sells 10 Million Copies Worldwide

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Psajdak

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2022 7:15 am Reply with quote
I have heard many complaints about this game, but...

Isn't 10 million of pretty much anything kinda a lot?
Silver Kirin

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2022 12:44 pm Reply with quote
Psajdak wrote:

Well, the executives at Square-Enix seem to be pleased with its sales performance but I'm wondering if they were hoping for bigger numbers, we have to remember that FFXV was in development for ten years, it had various production problems and some additional story DLC were cancelled. I don't know if it is fair to compare FFXV with other titles, but just for comparison, Zelda Breath of the Wild has sold more than 25 million units on the Switch alone and Elden Ring has sold 13 million in less than a month. The Final Fantasy brand is one of the most famous in gaming but I don't know if its popularity is declining, at least those outside the FFVII canon. It'll be interesting to see how Final Fantasy XVI will perform, especailly since it's a PS5 exclusive game, at least for now.
tintor2

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2022 1:21 pm Reply with quote
Silver Kirin wrote:
Psajdak wrote:

Well, the executives at Square-Enix seem to be pleased with its sales performance but I'm wondering if they were hoping for bigger numbers, we have to remember that FFXV was in development for ten years, it had various production problems and some additional story DLC were cancelled. I don't know if it is fair to compare FFXV with other titles, but just for comparison, Zelda Breath of the Wild has sold more than 25 million units on the Switch alone and Elden Ring has sold 13 million in less than a month. The Final Fantasy brand is one of the most famous in gaming but I don't know if its popularity is declining, at least those outside the FFVII canon. It'll be interesting to see how Final Fantasy XVI will perform, especailly since it's a PS5 exclusive game, at least for now.

I thought the main reason XV was delayed was due to the fact XIV was downright disappointing leading the division of stuff. The game changed staff members as Nomura left it to make Kingdom Hearts III while Tabata (Crisis Core, Type 0) remade the game. A lot of things besides the title were remade like the clothing, the heroine, and the main story. Nomura's Versus wouldn't have its own ending either based on his comments.
meiam

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2022 1:28 pm Reply with quote
Psajdak wrote:

Yes and no, it depend on when the sales happen (early at full price or late after release at heavy discount) and if they count DLC independently. It also heavily depend on production cost and marketing cost.

For a final fantasy game, still one most recognized franchise, its not very impressive when you consider that the gaming market has become much bigger in the last two decades and those numbers are about on par with what FF10/12 did (for a waaaaaaaaay bigger budget).
FunkyDude88

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2022 11:31 pm Reply with quote
Psajdak wrote:

The game's alright story-wise now if you play all the DLC when it takes place in the middle of the game. 7R still has better combat, though
RandomCommenter

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2022 12:55 am Reply with quote
Silver Kirin wrote:
Psajdak wrote:

FFXV wasn't in development for 10 years, the game under nomura was pretty much thrown out when the project restarted as XV so it's not really fair to expect the game to recoup from those pretty much dead years. For what it's worth, I actually think the game was undercooked and clearly needed an extra year or so lol.
dreamEnd

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2022 7:00 am Reply with quote
I absolutely love XV despite it's flaws but I hope that they understand that it's time to put this series to rest now, since they already reached a significant amount of sales. They already killed the remaining DLCs but for some reason they still trying to milk the game to the max. There like at least like 2 different shitty freemium mobile games, and one of them just got released recently where it just pretty much a city building game that straight up looks like one of those crappy mafia city games.

Either revert the cancellation for the DLCs and/or expand the game more with a official spinoff games/media, or just put the title to rest and move on to develop XVI and continue updating XIV.. Or give the title back to Nomura so he'll stop trying to slip Versus XIII into KH whenever it's possible. (lol)

Sorry for ranting, but watching one of my favorite JRPG title of one of my favorite franchise getting desecrated by some unknown money grabbing 3rd party mobile game dev really irks me.
omegafinal

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2022 8:24 pm Reply with quote
dreamEnd wrote:

...Either revert the cancellation for the DLCs and/or expand the game more with a official spinoff games/media, or just put the title to rest and move on to develop XVI and continue updating XIV.. Or give the title back to Nomura so he'll stop trying to slip Versus XIII into KH whenever it's possible. (lol)...

While it is nice to see Season Two get released as a novel, I would've loved to have seen it playable and on screen. I'd like to see the rest of the DLC finished as well, especially since there is a "blueprint" of what could've been.
BlueAlf

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2022 9:14 pm Reply with quote
I can't help but wonder what's the point of SE announcing this now.

Might be for stonks. Yeah, must be stonks.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1