• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Uzaki-chan Wants to Hang Out! Anime Season 2's 1st Promo Video Announces Fall Debut, More Staf

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nate148

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2022 6:02 am Reply with quote
Why did they even like this show or did they just power though to prove an internet point.
Penlab

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2022 6:47 am Reply with quote
Nate148 wrote:
Why did they even like this show or did they just power though to prove an internet point.

Such a weird and insular take to have.
njprogfan
Collector Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2022 7:59 am Reply with quote
Love the characters and looking forward to the second season
thepepin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2022 9:19 am Reply with quote
Nate148 wrote:

No, the first season did make money. The manga is popular in Japan so those fans watched. The production committee kept costs down by using every single trick in the book, including using an entire episode as a commercial for a tourist town. It only needed some western streaming viewers to put it over the top. Which it got thanks to the controversy. A lot of people who wouldn't have known about the show or had any interest checked it out as a curiosity. Some stuck around because it succeeded as a silly low stakes slice of life comedy. For whatever reason the adaptation was surprisingly tame as they passed up a ton of obvious opportunities for ecchi and fanservice. Turns out that it worked. Including that stuff wouldn't have increased the Japanese viewership much as that was mostly manga fans who were going to watch anyway. But it would have decreased the number of western "checked it out because I saw the controversy on Twitter" viewers who ultimately stuck with the show.

Also, there were tons of worse candidates for a "why did this get renewed?" than this. One featuring college students and adults as opposed to the endless middle and high school shows. Where every single character is a decent person. That is thankfully devoid of unnecessary drama and trauma. Has a real life setting instead of a fantasy or isekai one. And is ultimately about friends putting forth the effort to help each other with no expectation of receiving any reward for that effort other than seeing their friends happy. One of the show's controversies claimed that Uzaki was stalking and harassing a guy who just wanted to be left alone, but in reality the show's events take place over a very extended time period so it wasn't like she was in his face every day ... more like she would just drop in every now and then. Also, she only did this after observing him for quite awhile and noticing that he obviously wasn't the "happy by myself" person that he was deceiving himself into thinking that he was. Further she knew the guy from having regularly interacted with him in high school, back when he was way more social, participated in activities and HAPPIER.

Add it all up and you don't have to care about the online controversy at all to have totally legit reasons enjoy the show, be glad that another season is coming and I guess to even check out the manga.
ClubAnime

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2022 11:05 am Reply with quote
The new trailer with subtitles Very Happy

( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l3EqqJ331oI )

Better understanding ! Huge hype !
ssjokg

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2022 11:19 am Reply with quote
But will it adapt the dragon arc?

Father and son fighting the dragon is very important.
Beltane70

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2022 11:23 am Reply with quote
This is the announcement that I've been waiting to see for quite some time! In addition to Uzaki's younger sister and father, it also appears that we'll be seeing Sakurai's parents.

Nate148 wrote:

This may come as a shock to you, but some of us genuinely enjoyed this show!
JustMonika

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2022 11:24 am Reply with quote
Nate148 wrote:

One of the best shows of 2020 is why. I bought it twice on home video and watched it a dozen times. Nuff said.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2022 4:53 pm Reply with quote
Can't wait for the return of Uzaki and her senpai for more fun!
Chiibi

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2022 5:09 pm Reply with quote
Despite Uzaki-chan's.....assets, I also enjoyed the show a lot. Surprisingly. It was very, very funny! Count me in for season 2.

Also good to see more anime about college students. I don't drink but I did see many many people saying Uzaki's first drinking night was exactly like theirs.

(Because I've seen the results of that from others is the exact reason why I don't drink)
Laughing
Blazi

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2022 1:44 am Reply with quote
Love this show, excited for its return!
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2022 11:02 am Reply with quote
This show is essentially an animated sitcom in the best way, easy to get into, quick to digest, and the characters are fun to see interact. I'm not surprised it's coming back for another round.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1