• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime Board Games

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 3:35 am Reply with quote
Over the weekend,I was at a Barnes & Noble's and I noticed something interesting. Some classic board games like Clue and Monopoly had things from shows like "Scooby-Doo,""Dragon Ball Z,"and "Naruto." It surprised me a bit. I have no idea why they did that. There was a "Scooby-Doo" Clue game. That fits,because it's a show about solving mysteries and that's similar to what the board game was about.
But,what confused me is a "Dragon Ball Z" Clue game. What's that about? Clue is about solving a murder mystery. "DBZ" has little to do with that. It's focus is on martial arts,epic fights,and massive landscape devastation. So basically,it wouldn't matter who did it. These characters would basically obliterate the mansion they were in and call it a day. To me,whoever thought this version up has to have his or her head examined.

Same thing with the "Naruto" Monopoly game. For those who don't know,that game is about buying up properties for money. So,having the "Naruto" characters in this one also baffles me. While it is shown in both the manga and anime that there are missions that the characters go on because they're paid to do it. Beyond that,I have no idea what connection do "Naruto" and Monopoly really have.
You see,like "DBZ,""Naruto" has little to do with this game. It's a series about ninja fights and things like that. What this has to do with Monopoly is beyond me. Unless they have a jutsu that makes money appear instantaneously,there's someone threatening to throw a shuriken in another person's face if they don't pay up,or there's a huge clash over some property,I just don't get it. Why does this even exist? I hope someone tells me because I'd really love an answer to that question.

Last edited by Snomaster1 on Thu Jun 30, 2022 12:50 am; edited 1 time in total
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 6:54 am Reply with quote
'Cause someone thought they could make a buck that way and licensed the rights. The rights holders have already profited from it. The seller may or may not.

Comes under the heading of "seemed like a good idea at the time".
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 7:03 am Reply with quote
Well,that may be one reason,Alan45. There may be other reasons,but that might make some sense. But,I also agree with you on this. They may have thought it was a good idea,but the shows they chose don't always mesh well with the game they're selling. That's what I think of it.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 7:48 am Reply with quote
I just recently found out that board games based on anime titles is a thing. I'm not so interested in situations where there is an already existing game like Clue or Monopoly and somebody just slaps the Naruto or Dragon Ball Z name on it, but I am interested in original games that come out of a particular show. I don't own any nor have I played any but if somebody out there has, please use this thread to share your experiences!
ThimDam

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 8:13 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
I just recently found out that board games based on anime titles is a thing. I'm not so interested in situations where there is an already existing game like Clue or Monopoly and somebody just slaps the Naruto or Dragon Ball Z name on it, but I am interested in original games that come out of a particular show. I don't own any nor have I played any but if somebody out there has, please use this thread to share your experiences!

Hello Blood.
In that case, I advise you to try jumanji. It is true that it is not a manga or anime of Japanese origin, but this game is really interesting. I had to play it three or four times at my cousins' house and I really liked it.
Key

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 11:40 am Reply with quote
There is a whole class of anime-connected and anime-themed board and card games out there. Just check out the offerings from Japanime Games, which is by far the biggest name in that niche of the gaming industry.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 3:57 pm Reply with quote
I'm kind of intrigued by the Robotech Attack on the SDF-1 Game:

https://www.rightstufanime.com/Robotech-Attack-on-the-SDF-1-Board-Game

Anybody ever play it?
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 12:47 am Reply with quote
Wow. I had no idea that there were real anime-based board games out there. I simply noticed that for some reason,somebody decided to have "Dragon Ball Z" and "Naruto" on classic board games like Clue and Monopoly. I couldn't fathom why they'd do that because neither of those shows had little or really anything at all to do with either of those games. I could see why they'd have a "Scooby-Doo" version of Clue and that was because it was a mystery show and that fit well with the original game.
What stunned me was seeing a "Dragon Ball Z" version of Clue and a "Naruto" version of Monopoly. I thought that they didn't fit very well with the spirit of the original board games. I hope there are other anime-based board games out there. I'd like to know if there any out there or if they made their way here.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 6:47 am Reply with quote
@Snomaster1

What it boils down to is that Japanese rights holders will usually sell the rights to anyone producing merchandise to brand it after their IP. If you have been following the interest features here, you will remember seeing Eva branded eye glass frames, a variety of girls nightgowns and other lingerie with Eva and other shows branding. And that doesn't get into the weirder things such as Hello Kitty sexual aids.

None of this has any thing to do with shows, it is just a chance to make a quick buck. And people do buy that stuff. Look at the thread labeled "coolest anime" for an example.

@Blood-

I haven't seen that game before. Since it is based on the US version, Robotech, it probably requires you to sing at some point.

There is a roll playing game out there called Big Eyes, Small Mouth which is supposed to provide a structure that can be used to play a variety of anime based RPGs. Judging by what shows on E-bay it is still a going concern. I have couple of guides to using it to do a Bubblegum Crisis RPG and E-bay with just a quick look showed guides for Trigun and Helsing RPGs.

Back when they tried to sell Cardcaptor Sakura as Cardcaptors, there was a collectible card game issued under the Cardcaptors logo. Also, back when I first got into anime someone was selling a collectible card game based on a variety of anime characters. I think it was called AniMay or some such nonsense.
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2022 2:51 am Reply with quote
Well,Alan45. I'm kind of aware of those things. While I agree that sometimes,there are certain products that have little to do with those shows,they can be a little dubious. If there were a "Case Closed"/"Detective Conan" Clue game,it would seem less stupid,because it would have something to do with the spirit of the original game. That would be similar to the "Scooby-Doo" Clue game.
What seems a little silly to me is having stuff like a "Dragon Ball Z" Clue game or a "Naruto" Monopoly game. Yeah,it seems like a silly attempt to make a quick buck. I can agree with that. I just wish that the Japanese IP holders had asked them to do an original board game that was more in tune with the spirit of those shows rather than just slap the show's name on games that are ill-suited for it.

As for Blood-,I didn't really know that there was a "Robotech" board game floating around out there. That sound interesting,even though it seems to have disappeared into digital nothingness. I hope that it shows up again soon. It would be something interesting to see. That would be a fascinating bit of merchandise to see. I'd like to see it. Would anyone else?
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2022 2:23 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
There is a whole class of anime-connected and anime-themed board and card games out there. Just check out the offerings from Japanime Games, which is by far the biggest name in that niche of the gaming industry.

Yes they are.

The problem with many of the anime themed (whether based on specific anime or just going for the anime "look") boardgames is most are low on substance and actual quality. Most tend to either bank on the specific title's popularity (like alot of anime merch), or the general anime esthetic. Few of them (at least that make it over seas to NA) are actually quality games worth the price tag. Which is sad.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1