• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Mahō Shōjo Magical Destroyers Anime's Video Reveals Main Cast, More Staff, 2023 Premiere

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2022 9:19 am Reply with quote
not the best staff. it not the worst, if either they improved over the years or they happen to have chemistry, this will be fine.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2022 9:44 am Reply with quote
This feels more like an Ai Fairouz Magical Girl than Cure Summer...
Nachtwandler

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2022 9:58 am Reply with quote
Huh. First Bibury anime not directed by Tencho?
FiendHunter

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2022 10:09 am Reply with quote
The character designs are okay, but that's a very ugly visual for some reason
SHD

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2022 10:15 am Reply with quote
Oh wow, dark & edgy magical girls. I'm so intrigued by this concept I've never seen before.

(Yes, not everything needs to be new, yes, yes, I know. It's still kind of baffling to see something like this in the year of our lord 2022.)
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2022 10:57 am Reply with quote
If Magical Girls existed in real life they would be co-opted (nice word) into the various intelligence organizations around the world. I said nice word, because we all know that the government wouldn't let a bunch of magical girls run around using magic. Come hell or high water, the government would find a way to bring them to the table and it wouldn't look pretty.

Card Captor Sakura is just a fairy tale for Magical Girls, fairy tales that pretend the adult world doesn't exist. Dark and edgy is reality.
Nachtwandler

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2022 11:02 am Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
If Magical Girls existed in real life they would be co-opted (nice word) into the various intelligence organizations around the world. I said nice word, because we all know that the government wouldn't let a bunch of magical girls run around using magic. Come hell or high water, the government would find a way to bring them to the table and it wouldn't look pretty.

Card Captor Sakura is just a fairy tale for Magical Girls, fairy tales that pretend the adult world doesn't exist. Dark and edgy is reality.

This was already exploited in Spec-ops Asuka (I need to get back to that manga probably).

As for this one, I just hope they won't repeat mistakes Garandoll made: the show should either go full ham or full serious but not try to sqwitch between the two all of the time.
SHD

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2022 11:12 am Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:

Oh my god, oh my god. Very Happy Thank you for making me face the harsh reality and telling me like it is, you really opened my eyes. Can't trust the system, man!

(Although I have to wonder: if "dark and edgy is reality" then why are all these shows basically teenage power fantasies where the "adult world" warps around Oh So Special teenagers in ways it never happens in actual IRL? Rhetoric question, no need to answer.)
TheSleepyMonkey

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2022 11:59 am Reply with quote
Honestly, this PV just served for me to get a better idea at what kind of performance Fairouz is gonna give with Power in Chainsaw Man, and that makes me happy.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2022 2:00 pm Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:

Sakura literally keeps her powers a secret to herself and a few close friends and family so I'm not sure when the government is supposed to come in? And Cardcaptor Sakura deals with plenty of adult world themes around grief and family. Just because it's packaged in a series for younger readers doesn't mean it's pure escapism and just something being dark and edgy doesn't make it mature or "reality."
SHD

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2022 2:24 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
And Cardcaptor Sakura deals with plenty of adult world themes around grief and family.

Well yes, but are Sakura and her friends unhinged psychos who beat up and murder people in cold blood? No? Then sorry it's not mature and realistic enough.

Jokes aside (not really), this show is like Baby's First Dark & Edgy Magical Girl Story in like... 2022. OK, I might reconsider my opinion if it actually turns out to be self-aware and funny.
lossthief
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2022 2:52 pm Reply with quote
SHD wrote:
Jokes aside (not really), this show is like Baby's First Dark & Edgy Magical Girl Story in like... 2022. OK, I might reconsider my opinion if it actually turns out to be self-aware and funny.

I actually disagree with this. I'm also sick to [expletive] death of "Dark subversions" of magical girl series, but that's mostly because they all seem determined to derive their edginess from making all the central magical girls suffer or be obvious psychopaths (See the aforementioned Magical Girl Spec-ops for a perfect example of both at their worst) but here the energy feels different.

At least from the way Anarchy is characterized, it seems more like a purposefully crude and aggressive take on the typical magical girl leader archetype. All middle fingers and "[redacted] off, jackass" teenager stuff. That could still be cringey as hell depending on the delivery, but I'm at least not getting the impression that this is just trying to be "What if the magical girls DIIIIIIIIEEEEEEEEEEDDDDDD" schlock that other series like these have been.
DamianSalazar

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2022 3:29 pm Reply with quote
The impression I got out of this was a dark magical girl anime but with a different coat of paint. This isn't like a dark magical anime with a cutesy aesthetic (Madoka Magica et al.). This is one that is "unconventional", if you can call it that.
all-tsun-and-no-dere
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2022 12:18 am Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:

Hey buddy? You know magical girls don't actually exist, right? There is no "reality" in either interpretation.
AQuin1904

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2022 10:16 am Reply with quote
Am I missing something? What part of this is "dark"? The designs, plus all the flashing text about how "otaku have disappeared from Japan" could not be screaming "this is supposed to be funny" any louder if the director popped out of the screen and hollered it through a megaphone.

The central concept still hits as dated (at least from what they've shown here), but I'm seriously wondering if most of this thread just watched the same trailer I did.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1