• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: NHK Asks Netflix to Remove its Titles Due to Ad-Supported Subscriptions

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2022 3:10 am Reply with quote
Doesn't sound good.
3ngag3

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2022 3:17 am Reply with quote
Any notable titles being removed here? I'm not familiar with which ones NHK owns.
FukuchiChiisaia

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2022 3:18 am Reply with quote
3ngag3 wrote:
Any notable titles being removed here? I'm not familiar with which ones NHK owns.

Nothing is removed. Netflix simply to continue distribute them without putting any ads on NHK content.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2022 3:52 am Reply with quote
NHK don't have a big library to offer for streaming, so most viewers aren't going to benefit from the Netflix concession. The biggest title I can think of is Attack on Titan as that was on NHK during its mainstream run; another one was Tsukumogami Kashimasu which I don't think is on Netflix.

NHK partly at fault for not reading the fine print more closely or asking Netflix for clarification before the service went live. Article says discussions are ongoing, so current stance might change going forward.
WANNFH

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2022 4:10 am Reply with quote
Harleyquin wrote:
NHK partly at fault for not reading the fine print more closely or asking Netflix for clarification before the service went live. Article says discussions are ongoing, so current stance might change going forward.
Well, considering Netflix didn't have an ad-tier plan in the first place when they signed the contract — and NHK is a government-funded channel, and "no ad policy" is a given for them from the very beginning — it's screw-up from both sides.

Now it's more of the question of whether other government-funded channels, like the British BBC, can do the same - cause if it's that, it ain't look good at all for Netflix.
AJ (LordNikon)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2022 7:37 am Reply with quote
WANNFH wrote:
Harleyquin wrote:
Well, considering Netflix didn't have an ad-tier plan in the first place when they signed the contract — and NHK is a government-funded channel, and "no ad policy" is a given for them from the very beginning — it's screw-up from both sides.

Oh please NHK is nothing but a bunch of yaks. I don’t even own a TV set in my apartment and I still have a pounding on the door once a week demanding I pay them for service that I don’t have. Boo-hoo I have absolutely no sympathy whatsoever for anything NHK does screws up as far as I’m concerned they shall be tossed in jail was a bunch of crooks.
mdo7

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2022 11:04 am Reply with quote
umm, would somebody like to inform NHK that not all films & TV shows will be available on ad-tier (2nd sources: Variety, Deadline Hollywood), and it's still possible NHK can keep their contents on Netflix without worrying about people with ad-tier.

So I don't see why NHK would have to be worried about it since Netflix's ad-tier subscribers don't have all access to all of Netflix's library. Oh, and if you've never heard of this, or wasn't aware of it. Go read this article.

So NHK shouldn't be panicking over the ad-tier plan since not every film & TV catalog on Netflix's library will not all be available to people with ad-tier subscription.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2022 11:13 am Reply with quote
Excluding stuff from the ad tier is apparently nothing new to Netflix so that seems to be the easiest thing to do.

Quote:
Oh please NHK is nothing but a bunch of yaks. I don’t even own a TV set in my apartment and I still have a pounding on the door once a week demanding I pay them for service that I don’t have. Boo-hoo I have absolutely no sympathy whatsoever for anything NHK does screws up as far as I’m concerned they shall be tossed in jail was a bunch of crooks.

Here people complain about US public broadcasting having pledge drives. Are those still a thing? With the shirts and tote bags if you pledge a certain amount?
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2022 11:54 am Reply with quote
This simply does not add up, crunchyroll has had NHK titles with ads for years now on their platform and there was no problem. The only difference I can thik of is that crunchy moist likely does not stream NHK (or basically any other) titles inside japan. IF that is the case, the solution is to remove NHK titles from the add supported tier in japan only.
EugeneW

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2022 11:57 am Reply with quote
Bakuman and The Twelve Kingdoms have been on Tubi for years. Tubi also has the live-action An Artist of the Floating World and Kurara: The Dazzling Life of Hokusai's Daughter, both NHK productions. Looks to me like what NHK really wants is a bigger cut of that sweet sweet Netflix ad revenue.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2022 12:23 pm Reply with quote
Conceivably, the difference is that the shows were licensed, and then ads were added later, as opposed to services that had an ad version prior to licensing. That said, it sounds like Netflix made it known this was coming, and NHK initially agreed. I'm not sure how it wasn't what NHK "assumed" it would be. The concept isn't hard, and they have those other examples for illustration.

Maybe the targeted ads are the problem? I don't know how Hulu handles it, and when I used to watch the ad version of Crunchyroll, it was either self-plugs or generic stuff, like some McDonald's ads. I guess they could consider targeted ads as something that they see as too close to an endorsement.

Then again, it could just be that NHK saw a chance to renegotiate a bit with Netflix because of contracts that weren't technically being followed completely.
Honeyman

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2022 12:58 pm Reply with quote
Cutting to the chase I think its good the NHK has the database that if Netflix is going to have their shows on its streaming service they will be without ads. What's the point of a streaming service if it includes ads? (you might as well watch terrestrial TV).
jdnation

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2022 1:59 pm Reply with quote
Sounds like a thing where any ads streaming during NHK content need to be approved by NHK.

Which seems to allude to that NHK would rather approve and choose which ads should be attached to their shows... leading to the idea that NHK will find their own advertisers for their own shows and thus share that revenue with Netflix...
Wyvern

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2022 6:39 pm Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:

Here people complain about US public broadcasting having pledge drives. Are those still a thing? With the shirts and tote bags if you pledge a certain amount?

Yep, PBS still does those regularly. NPR does too, and a lot of podcast networks seem to do them too.

They're not really as bad as people say though. It's usually like three or four days out of a year.
DRosencraft

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2022 7:02 pm Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:

Yes, though the format is different from years ago. You don't really get the same "telethon" sort of donation drives, but more regular, general, solicitations.

Greed1914 wrote:
Maybe the targeted ads are the problem? I don't know how Hulu handles it, and when I used to watch the ad version of Crunchyroll, it was either self-plugs or generic stuff, like some McDonald's ads. I guess they could consider targeted ads as something that they see as too close to an endorsement.

Mainly Hulu, at least for me, shows really generic stuff or self-promotions. I get a lot of ads pushing their Disney+, ESPN+ bundle, other programs for the "network" I'm watching, or the relatively generic slate of commercials you'd expect for watching the terrestrial TV equivalent of whatever it is I'm watching. For instance, if' I'm watching 20/20, I get commercials about ABC shows or ads for various drug company medications. Watch the Simpsons, I get ads for FOX shows and general HULU/Disney+ ads (nothing animation specific oddly). Watch Bleach or Black Rock Shooter, I get ads at the start and end, but they're once again HULU/Disney+ ads.

As for this whole episode between Netflix and NHK, I think this once again demonstrates the difference between breaking a contract/the law and being allowed to break a contract/the law, i.e., prosecutorial discretion. The two sides had talks, they weren't settled before Netflix was ready to launch this new service, and Netflix went ahead because in its calculations NHK amounted to a minute revenue stream relative to what they stood to lose by holding off and continuing negotiations with NHK. NHK went to hardball tactics by making this dispute public and invoking an alleged contract breach.

Ultimately, Netflix will have to determine what value it sees in NHK's library. Even if they win the battle in the short term, it makes it highly unlikely NHK will re-up on any licenses that are expiring, or offer up new ones going forward. Since it's not especially clear what NHK's red line is (do they want to be removed from the Ad-tier, or just for the curated ads part of the ad-tier to not apply to their programming) who knows what the final resolution is supposed to be.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2