• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
No, You Can't Make Anime with AI

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MadBoi92

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2023 9:10 am Reply with quote
I agree, and yes I do think this model will be useful in speeding up animators work (provided they touch over it). I can see Toei probably using something similar to churn out One Piece episodes quickly.

But it will never replace 2D animation entirely. It can't.
FrodoGate222

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2023 9:30 am Reply with quote
The sad thing is, I rather take EX-Arm over this any day. I never thought I would say something like that.
Dayraven

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2023 9:53 am Reply with quote
Quote:

(Astro Boy looks upset until someone tells him no, that’s not what the headline means.)
Gurren Rodan

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2023 9:56 am Reply with quote
I enjoyed Corridor Digital's short and thought it was a neat experiment, but I certainly don't think this is "replacing" traditional animation anytime soon; nor do I think that was Corridor's intent at all. Even the Bancroft brothers referenced how they felt when Toy Story was first released - daunting at first, but ultimately just a new tool set for the industry, not a death knell.
The Rock, Paper, Scissors short does a pretty good job at illustrating what AI can and cannot do, which left me with a more positive attitude about it than before, while simultaneously reinforcing how critical the eyes of human artists are. The AI can interpret a lot of interesting details, but it also struggles at others, like hands and eyes, and ultimately still needs a thorough reference point for the overall style. If a company or studio wanted to seriously produce a project in this manner, they'd still need a dedicated concept art team, as well as a clean-up art team to improve consistency of the footage. Whether that's an efficient trade-off for the main animation done automatically, I'd be curious to see.
AQuin1904

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2023 10:13 am Reply with quote
Very skeptical of the people suggesting this will improve speed by generating a base for humans to "touch up." People consistently make the same claims about MTL (much of which now relies on ML models as well), but the reality has been that "editing" or "proofreading" a machine translation is often more arduous and time-consuming than making one from scratch, for usually less than half the pay and zero credit (the real reason businesses push for it). I've heard artists make similar observations after experimenting with incorporating ML-generated images into their workflow.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2023 11:03 am Reply with quote
ai is a tool.

it's like. a screwdriver, if you are a carpenter and want to make a living room using only a screw driver, yes, you are screwed. but that does not mean the screw driver is useless or has no place while creating a living room.

i can see a lot of places where ai can be used to help the animation process, but you need a few months of practice with it to even figure those out, and considering the level of expertise needed and the working conditions in animation, this shift will take a while to happen, like digitalization and cg.

as a corollary, it's one thing to use ai to get something random done, ten equivalent of a 20 dollars a fan art commission,and a completely different 3xpwriwnce if you want a very specific 0iece w8thq. specific idea on mind.

for example, the Castlevania video is ripe field for Loras, i dont know if your average anime studio haa the expertise to incorporate Loras in their work flow, design them, training use, etc..
Ermat_46

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2023 11:25 am Reply with quote
MadBoi92 wrote:
I agree, and yes I do think this model will be useful in speeding up animators work (provided they touch over it). I can see Toei probably using something similar to churn out One Piece episodes quickly.

But it will never replace 2D animation entirely. It can't.

Bold to assume that the animators that aren't just going to redraw huge portions of the crap that AI generates, wasting everyone's time.
Sheenoobuu

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2023 11:55 am Reply with quote
For now. 10 years ago people would've said AI art of this kind would also not be possible. Right?
Megumi Chisato

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2023 11:55 am Reply with quote
Hm... I honestly think this whole thing with Corridor Digital has been overblown thanks to the AI element. It's pretty much rotoscoping. Now, whether or not you think rotoscoping is a valid form of animation is another issue entirely, but Aku no Hana did use it to rather good effect (in my opinion).
TheSleepyMonkey

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2023 12:42 pm Reply with quote
Megumi Chisato wrote:
Hm... I honestly think this whole thing with Corridor Digital has been overblown thanks to the AI element. It's pretty much rotoscoping. Now, whether or not you think rotoscoping is a valid form of animation is another issue entirely, but Aku no Hana did use it to rather good effect (in my opinion).

The main issue here is not the video itself, it's the stupid statements they made about "changing animation forever" and "democratizing animation".
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2023 1:04 pm Reply with quote
I understand that since the beginning, animation has constantly evolved and used new and different tools, but I really do not see AI as a tool. I could see an Ai system maybe working on a production line, where you want an homogenised design, but in a creative field it's just not good.
danpmss

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2023 1:28 pm Reply with quote
What they did was just rotoscoping with extra steps. Not nearly as revolutionary as they are trying to make it sound in their videos tbh.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2023 1:44 pm Reply with quote
Megumi Chisato wrote:

It’s bad rotoscoping, that’s the problem. So bad Ralph Bakshi emerged from the internet to dunk on it. What good is a tool if the work has to be redone? You’re wasting time and money.
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2023 2:43 pm Reply with quote
Dayraven wrote:
Quote:

(Astro Boy looks upset until someone tells him no, that’s not what the headline means.)

Daisuke Hiramaki: "Sure we can, just wait till Friday and head to the theater! …Oh wait, that's a lowercase I?"
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2023 2:51 pm Reply with quote
X

Let me rephrase the title: You Can't Make Anime with AI using today's technology

You probably can in about 15 years.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4