• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Games - A Tale of Two Showcases

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mothleaf

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2023 2:45 pm Reply with quote
This Week in Games is really going dowhill in its editing. There are numerous typos and grammatical issues in articles every week, the writing doesn't in any way concisely report on gaming news. Sentences meander on as if they're just trying to hit a word count.
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2023 2:45 pm Reply with quote
I'm pretty sure Jean-Karlo mixed up his Super Mario Advance games, as it was SMA4: SMB3e, i.e. the GBA version of Mario 3, that had eReader levels, not SMA2: SMW. Also, SMA4:SMB3e had already been released on NSO with all of the eReader levels intact, so that wasn't really news.

Beyond that, though, a solid This Week in Games. RIP Zac.
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2023 2:48 pm Reply with quote
mothleaf wrote:
This Week in Games is really going dowhill in its editing. There are numerous typos and grammatical issues in articles every week, the writing doesn't in any way concisely report on gaming news. Sentences meander on as if they're just trying to hit a word count.

I'll look over the edits here, but there is no "word count" requirement for TWIG.

Quote:
The writing doesn't in any way concisely report on gaming news.

A reminder that TWIG is not supposed to "concisely report on gaming news." It's an opinion column. We have a news section with individual articles that will give you the barebones context and announcements if that's what you're looking for.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
FinalVentCard
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2023 3:20 pm Reply with quote
Lord Geo wrote:
I'm pretty sure Jean-Karlo mixed up his Super Mario Advance games, as it was SMA4: SMB3e, i.e. the GBA version of Mario 3, that had eReader levels, not SMA2: SMW. Also, SMA4:SMB3e had already been released on NSO with all of the eReader levels intact, so that wasn't really news.

Beyond that, though, a solid This Week in Games. RIP Zac.

Thanks for the heads-up on this one, Nintendo didn't make talking about the GBA Mario Games easy with the tacked-on Super Mario Advance monikers. This will be corrected shortly.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2023 3:25 pm Reply with quote
mothleaf wrote:

I had to be sure so I checked but you are the same guy that made a rather pointless post that on last weeks TWIG that got edited. And this is your second post on the board with the same mostly unnecessary criticism. For someone complaining about the decline of the column you seem to have a vested interest in following it.

Quote:
On the other, Toad is making "Toad" noises.

Shows you how old I’am I thought toads current voice was introduced in NSMB didn’t know it started way earlier. I also don’t think Spider-Man 2 is setting up the sinister six especially when they were already introduced in the first spider-man game with Peter defeating all of them.

Quote:
Multiplatform third-party titles are the lifeblood of any console,

I thought that only applied to Xbox?
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2023 4:42 pm Reply with quote
Currently a bit distracted considering that my package from Amazon arrived, but was missing the actual contents so I'm typing this in a red haze. Seriously, if somebody stole it then they better hope I never find them

-The Pii U: I do not apologize for that. Seriously, from what I understand it's not really a portable, it's a peripheral that has to be connected to Wi-Fi at all times. So if anything, it's a Wii U Gamepad but worse! The Gamepad was at least integrated into the Wii U's architecture and design, even doing some interesting stuff with asymmetrical gameplay. This is just a weirdo mirror for playing something on the toilet. Oh Sony, whenever you try to be proactive you look embarrassing.

-Foamstars: Looks interesting; a Splatoon clone crossed with Overwatch hero shooter characters isn't a bad idea, and it is interesting how the foam can affect the terrain. Still, cautious

-Metal Gear Solid: Hayter is back, that's all I care for.
TokimekiCrisis

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2023 4:46 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
Quote:
Multiplatform third-party titles are the lifeblood of any console,

I thought that only applied to Xbox?

It's for non-Nintendo consoles essentially since they tend to have a lacking list of first-party titles. PS and Xbox are interchangeable outside a handful of exclusives.

Was not a fan of Rune Factory 5 and felt it deserved low sales due to it's initial poor launch and DLC cancellation. Hopefully 6 is better, but I'm more interested in the dragon project one. Although even the trailer showed framerate issues so I suspect it'll have launch issues again as well. Hopefully they can at least deliver on the content itself this time around.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2023 7:43 pm Reply with quote
TokimekiCrisis wrote:
It's for non-Nintendo consoles essentially since they tend to have a lacking list of first-party titles. PS and Xbox are interchangeable outside a handful of exclusives.

I would argue that Sony has more first party exclusive properties many of which haven’t been used since either the PS1, PS2, PS3, or PSP/Vita

Microsoft uptil they bought Zenimax didn’t have much of anything exclusive outside of Halo, Forza, or Gears. And for a time a lot of their success with the Xbox brand was due to non exclusive third party titles which as has been revealed bottomed out with the Series S/X.
bleachj0j

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2023 10:12 pm Reply with quote
I really need Final Fantasy XVI. Everything about sounds really good. With Yoshida saying that many of the game's staff are from XII/Tactics has me hopeful and excited.
Nate148

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2023 6:09 am Reply with quote
FYI Loop8 is a call back to alfa systems ps1 game Gunparade march. That game let you use social points to make decions in the game and interact with the characters with the twist that THEY COULD TOO. More here https://kimimithegameeatingshemonster.com/2022/03/14/students-statistics-and-bloodthirsty-beasts/
PumpkinMouse

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2023 9:56 am Reply with quote
I hope Fashion Dreamer has some kind of narrative. Running around liking and designing outfits sounds fun, but Style Savvy's wacky storytelling was always part of the franchise's charm for me.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2023 11:44 am Reply with quote
On the topic of Spidey, the Sinister Six were the main villains of the last game, and they were done pretty well, with Doc Ock as their leader. This game seems to be divided into two plots, Kraven going hunting, and the Symbiote matters. And hey, Brooklyn and Queens! It was the clear winner of the showcase.

Speaking of the Showcase...who thought the PS5 needed a Wii U style controller for remote play, when they actually have a controller designed to simulate that function with your cellphone, the backbone?

https://playbackbone.com/products/backbone-one-playstation/

It seems kind of silly, and has a very limited functionality in contrast.
Covnam

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2023 2:44 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, not much for me in the Sony presentation. A few titles looked interesting, but are far out, so not much to go on.
Hopefully GBF: ReLink is finally coming out.
Foamstars could be an interesting take on splatoon if the fact that the foam changes the height of the terrain actually comes in to play. It is a bit garish though.
Re: Loop8: Seems like there might have been a bit of a mix up here with some of the info. The game is officially out in about a week (actually got my copy last week) and it takes place in the early 80s.
Can't say much about Project Life, but it at least sounds like it's something to keep an eye on.
DxM: I played the beta/demo of the first game and it seemed like it would be fun, but it just slid further and further in my backlog. If it's getting a sequel I should probably try to move it up though...
FinalVentCard
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2023 4:36 pm Reply with quote
Nate148 wrote:
FYI Loop8 is a call back to alfa systems ps1 game Gunparade march. That game let you use social points to make decions in the game and interact with the characters with the twist that THEY COULD TOO. More here https://kimimithegameeatingshemonster.com/2022/03/14/students-statistics-and-bloodthirsty-beasts/

No kidding! Leave it to Kimimi to shed light on these things. I have a ton of respect for them, their writing is a blast and I always walk away learning the most amazing things from them. Kimimi's a good friend of this column, as far as I'm concerned. Very Happy

Covnam wrote:
Yeah, not much for me in the Sony presentation. A few titles looked interesting, but are far out, so not much to go on.
Hopefully GBF: ReLink is finally coming out.
Foamstars could be an interesting take on splatoon if the fact that the foam changes the height of the terrain actually comes in to play. It is a bit garish though.
Re: Loop8: Seems like there might have been a bit of a mix up here with some of the info. The game is officially out in about a week (actually got my copy last week) and it takes place in the early 80s.
Can't say much about Project Life, but it at least sounds like it's something to keep an eye on.
DxM: I played the beta/demo of the first game and it seemed like it would be fun, but it just slid further and further in my backlog. If it's getting a sequel I should probably try to move it up though...

Full disclosure: my mind was running on fumes after handling two showcases, so the big fat "RELEASING JUNE 6TH, STUPID!" passed me by entirely. We have since corrected this omission.
Cryten

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2023 5:42 pm Reply with quote
It feels like PS5 is entering its second half of life games release phase, where a bunch of sequels and well developed games all start releasing with enough time before the end of life of a generation to not scare off any sales.

And I still have not bought a PS5 since it only became buyable in Australia directly from retail about 4 months ago.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3