• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Navarre Announces Financial Results for 2007-2008

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JohnnySake

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 6:37 am Reply with quote
If you ever want to say something to Funimation about their business practices or what titles they are picking up, buy a block of their shares and tell them as a shareholder, who also happens to be an anime fan. Not saying that it will carry more weight, but it will certainly be viewed under a slightly different light.

In general, many stocks are a good buy right now, including Navarre. If you have $200, you could buy a block of 100 shs of them. If they could get their share price up to $4.00, you just doubled your money.

Part of smart, profitable investing is knowing a given company better than the rest of the crowd. I would say many people here are intimately aware of Funimation's outward business activities.

Oh well, just something to think about for the morning...
minakichan

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 6:38 am Reply with quote
So in a world in which Geneon has kicked the bucket, ADV has some kind of mild cancer, and Tokyopop is undergoing massive surgery, Funimation is improving, for various reasons.

Conclusion: sky is not falling.
Big Hed

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 7:49 am Reply with quote
Excellent news for Funimation. Even more so, since I think their profits were down last year weren't they?
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 8:22 am Reply with quote
Wow! Strong enough to keep it's parent company afloat! That's one decent business strategy. One that the others would do well to emulate, and not one sub only title used to do it too. Come on you dubs! Wink
Yoda117

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 9:07 am Reply with quote
Wow... using a solid, but flexible business model, revisiting it every so often to deal with market changes, and establishing a brand of trust amongst as many fans and studios as possible.

And they're one of the only companies showing any profit at all, let alone doing as well as they are.

I'm hoping that other companies are watching, learning, and emulating this.
trandraskell

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 9:43 am Reply with quote
It has nothing to due with dub verus subs. It all on the marketing that they do and what shows they are grabbing. I remember that back between 1998 and 2000 ADV was doing the growing and making money. All companies go thru growth spurts and right now funi is being smart and in a market that is rapidly changing they are doing the right thing. They have the backing a hugh parent company and that helps them. Where Right Stuf look at a title and sees that if a dub is worth the money to do. You have to understand alot of the Reason these companies are releasing sub only in the beginning is to stave off fansubs and them losing money. I am one to think that this is a wise move for companies and more should do it more often. Adv did with City Hunter (only released subtitles and it now out of print and to get it expenseive.) Bandi doing with Gurren Langgen and others due to them aborbing Bandi Visual. I say bring more subtitles out if it means I get my titles faster. and yes I have over 500 anime dvds.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 10:04 am Reply with quote
trandraskell wrote:
It has nothing to due with dub verus subs. It all on the marketing that they do and what shows they are grabbing. I remember that back between 1998 and 2000 ADV was doing the growing and making money. All companies go thru growth spurts and right now funi is being smart and in a market that is rapidly changing they are doing the right thing. They have the backing a hugh parent company and that helps them. Where Right Stuf look at a title and sees that if a dub is worth the money to do. You have to understand alot of the Reason these companies are releasing sub only in the beginning is to stave off fansubs and them losing money. I am one to think that this is a wise move for companies and more should do it more often. Adv did with City Hunter (only released subtitles and it now out of print and to get it expenseive.) Bandi doing with Gurren Langgen and others due to them aborbing Bandi Visual. I say bring more subtitles out if it means I get my titles faster. and yes I have over 500 anime dvds.
Ah, but you're assuming that they will later release a hybrid, when to date none of them have openly said that they will. So what ever quick gain they achieve with a sub only will soon petter out when that market is fed and wants no more. What do they do then? licence yet another "flash in the pan niche" title to do the same again?
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 11:00 am Reply with quote
Yoda117 wrote:
And they're one of the only companies showing any profit at all, let alone doing as well as they are.

I'm pretty damn sure they are not the only profitable company in the industry. Don't forget that there's a lot more to the North American anime/manga industry than ADV, Funimation and Tokyopop.

Funimation however is the only company in a position where it's profits are discussed in so much detail due to the fact that 1) It's parent company is a public company and 2) it is a significant part of that parent company. BEI, Manga and Geneon USA are all subsidiaries of public corporations (or subsidiaries of subsidiaries), but none of them are a big enough portion of the parent's gross revenue to be detailed in the public financials. For example, when Namco Bandai announce their financials, they include details about Bandai America (BAI), but BEI is an undisclosed part of BAI.

Sadly the Hitotsubashi group (Shogakukan, Shueisha and Hakusensha) are all privately owned, otherwise we would get details on Viz's performance, because I think Viz is a significant enough part of Shueisha/Shogakukan that it would be reported on publicly.

-t
trandraskell

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 11:19 am Reply with quote
Not once did i say that they were going to later release a hybrid dvd later and Bandai did say that with Gurran that they are doing subtitle now and then in 2009 they were going to do a dub version release. I believe that maybe one day we might see more dubs on series that been released as sub only but right now with the market the way it is, I think it is a smart option. Only time will tell what will happen and did they make the right choice.
But here is the here is the thing let me ask you this what do a company have to do to make money. Do they A,adapt to the market and get subs out for people to and try to stop people downloading fansubs. or B let do business the old way and then we spend all this time making money and then the market changes and we are now in trouble because it takes two years for the series to get here. To me I think option A is abetter choice as a business. Companies were spending to much money to release a series with both a dub and subtitles. ( Do not get me wrong I do like series some series that are dub.) But If a business has a option that I can sell 600 copies to people now with a subtitle copy and make x amount of dollars or wait two years and get a dub out and hope that maybe I make my money back with the 350 dvds sold. Look at the Right Stuf model that was done on Super Gals season two. They did 600 people pre-order and it paid to have the series imported and it worked. That why they are doing it with other niche shows like aria and emma and maria watches over us. These titles would have never seen the light of day if the model does not work. It also has work for media blasters with simoun. I used to be a diehard dub fan and then as I got into anime more i found that I had to change to watch more anime.
Part of the problems is that we live in a time were people want to have the series now not two years later. Either we as anime fans have to change too and except that the model changes or we will go down in flames and I for one am willing to change.
kona-chan13

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 11:31 am Reply with quote
trandraskell wrote:
and yes I have over 500 anime dvds.

someones full of them self.not saying you don't have the dvds but whats the point of even saying that?
melonbread

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 11:39 am Reply with quote
minakichan wrote:
So in a world in which Geneon has kicked the bucket, ADV has some kind of mild cancer, and Tokyopop is undergoing massive surgery, Funimation is improving, for various reasons.

A lot of it will be down to the whole 50,000+ sales per DragonBallZ set. (Unless the 50,000 was total out of all of them sold so far).
steev-sama

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 11:50 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Despite Funimation's success, overall net sales for Navarre's publishing segment, which also includes the mainstream DVD and music distributor BCI and the software company Encore, declined 7.3% for the year to US$117.4 million.

Crap.. knowing Navarre, they will probably still cut jobs from Funimation.

trandraskell wrote:
Part of the problems is that we live in a time were people want to have the series now not two years later.

This really isn't the problem in my opinion. The problem is people want series now and aren't willing to pay for them later. They will proclaim how much they love anime, but won't spend any money on it. However, we digress from the topic...

I am glad to see Funimation boxsets. I remember when they seemed quite scared to release boxsets. Now they release them fairly quickly and I eat them up.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 12:07 pm Reply with quote
Well it is good to hear of an anime company doing well. They may not be the only ones doing well, but it is still good to hear nonetheless.

I know my purchases of FUNimation DVDs has gone up at least 50% over previous years. There are lots of reasons for that, but I think the main ones are dubs, comprehensive release schedules, and types of shows they release. The two biggest negatives I can see with the company are the time period between announcements and solicitation of DVDs, and poor video quality on some of their DVDs. If they could fix those things, they would be almost perfect in my eyes.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
AnimeCornerStore
Accredited Retailer

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 12:42 pm Reply with quote
[quote="JohnnySake"] In general, many stocks are a good buy right now, including Navarre. If you have $200, you could buy a block of 100 shs of them. If they could get their share price up to $4.00, you just doubled your money.[quote]

They are capturing an ever increasing share of a shrinking market. Navarre stock (ticker NAVR) has been a terrible investment since they bought Fun. It was over $15 a share when the deal was announced back in 2004, and has since traded as low as $1.42. They bought Fun at the peak of the market and it's commonly thought they paid 3x what Fun was worth at the time. Of their 3 divisions, Fun is carrying their cash flow right now while the other 2 languish. I'm not saying that NAVR won't go to $4, but it could also easily go to 50 cents, so remember you could also loose half your money too. NAVR as a whole has a lot of business problems, their MRQ (valuation metrics) are terrible. The long term risk that they could eventually go to zero is high, so when that's factored in, the stock is probably fair value at $1.50. Highly Highly speculative.

Also - no one at Fun will pay anymore attention to you if you say you own shares. I would know... Wink

Bob (aka Robert)
The Anime Corner Store
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 1:05 pm Reply with quote
minakichan wrote:

Conclusion: sky is not falling.

The sky is still falling.
Sort of.
Issue is Funi had their bout with cancer a few yrs back while the industry was booming so they had some wiggle room. I was seriously worried for them for a couple yrs as DBZ was winding down & they seemed to be looking for their next big title. Blue Gender didn't do much for me. I loved Fruits Basket & pitched it to everyone & anyone, but it didn't seem to take off until they boxed it (Everyone seemed put off by the $35 price tag for 7 eps back then). I'm sure Case Closed being licensed was only because they were looking for another DBZ-style lenthy series & Toei wanted a King's Ransom for One Piece.
But they made it thru, discovered they could go with shorter titles & seem to have adjusted their outlook/style so that now times are tough, they're in place to do well. I really believe they are a better company for all the hardship they went thru finding their direction.
ADV has hit some speed bumps here & there, but it doesn't seem to have hit until this latest incident. They & Geneon both have done layoffs in the past. I really still consider Geneon's demise was more the Japanese parent company & believe they'd still be here if not for stuff that went on in their corporate structure which is very sad for all involved on this side of the Pacific. ADV could have taken those prior speed bumps & learned as Funi seemed to, but they seem to have continued in the Big Fish mode until the lake water dried seriously enough as to affect their swimming.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3