• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Best Duo Tournament: RESULTS.

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DerekTheRed

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 10:37 am Reply with quote
Group A-29

Belldandy & Keiichi Morisato from Ah! My Goddess
vs.
Rosette Christopher & Chrono from Chrono Crusade

Winner:Rosette and Chrono

I understand why Belldandy and Keiichi are such a great couple, but I think these two are equally great, and I like them better.

Group A-30

Takumi Mayama & Ayumi Yamada from Honey and Clover
vs.
Jinto Lin & Lafiel from Crest of the Stars

Winner: Jinto & Lafiel Having not seen either series, I am relying entirely on other folks' crusades for this duo.
Richard J.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 5:49 pm Reply with quote
Group A-29

Belldandy & Keiichi Morisato from Ah! My Goddess [ Video Clip ]
vs.
Rosette Christopher & Chrono from Chrono Crusade [ Video Clip ]

Winner: Belldandy & Keiichi Morisato.

Reasons: Well, I just think they are an extremely strong couple and a very functional duo. As much as some might mistake it for a loser and a fantasy girl thing, the two are really just two perfectly matched people. Keiichi is, with perhaps the exception of his overly shy and uncertain nature, her perfect match. Belldandy in turn is someone who can appreciate Keiichi's better points, his kind heart and giving nature, while over-looking the fact that he's kind of a goof. It's just extremely hard to argue with two characters who are so perfect together and will be for the forseeable future.

Group A-30

Takumi Mayama & Ayumi Yamada from Honey and Clover [ Video Clip ]
vs.
Jinto Lin & Lafiel from Crest of the Stars [ Video Clip ][/quote]

Winner: Jinto Lin & Lafiel.

Reasons: Having not seen either series and thus having to base my opinions on the clips and other's words, I'm just going to have to go with these two. They seem much more connected.
darksideoftheanime

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 6:24 pm Reply with quote
Group A-29
Belldandy & Keiichi Morisato
I'm not sure who to go for so I'll go with the iconic pair.

Group A-30
Jinto Lin & Lafiel
I have heard great things about this pair.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 9:30 pm Reply with quote
Dorcas_Aurelia wrote:
It appears to be a combination of factors for this unexpected turn-around. Partly, more people who voted for Souichiro and Yukino last time returned to vote than people who voted for Kyon and Haruhi (If they all had returned and none of them voted for Ban and Ginji, the result would be only one vote apart). I also think (didn't finish counting) that of the people who hadn't voted in D-2, one or two more chose the Kare Kano pair over Melancholy. Finally, Ban and Ginji stole more supporters from Kyon and Haruhi than they did from Yukino and Souichiro.
Actually, if I had voted in the previous round, I probably would've voted for the HHC duo over Kyon/Haruhi. Back in round 2, it had been about 4 years since I saw HHC, but since then I rewatched the series and was reminded of how great Yukino and Arima were.

Group A-29
Belldandy & Keiichi Morisato from Ah! My Goddess [ Video Clip ]
Rosette Christopher & Chrono from Chrono Crusade [ Video Clip ] It may be a vote against an overwhelming tide, but despite all of Keiichi & Belldandy's good points, I still can't see them measuring up to specific Rossette&Chrono scenes that rank among the most poignant and tearworthy of all time.

Group A-30
Takumi Mayama & Ayumi Yamada from Honey and Clover [ Video Clip ]
Jinto Lin & Lafiel from Crest of the Stars [ Video Clip ] As others have said, Takumi and Ayumi slipped by thanks to the overall favorable opinions of Honey & Clover and lackluster competition. This time, they're against a wall that they just can't scale, especially since they're more of a tragic/unfortunate pairing than a true duo.
Key

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 11:03 pm Reply with quote
Round 4 Group A is now closed.

Exact numerical results will shortly be posted here.

Summary:
Jinto and Lafiel won A-30 in an expected utter blow-out as they eliminated a pair widely-acknowledged as being undeserving of having gotten this far. Group A-29, by striking contrast and also as expected, was hotly-contested. Despite comments by some about "voting against an overwhelming tide," that contest involved multiple lead changes and neither participant ever had a lead of more than three votes; the vast majority of the time only a single vote separated the two duos. In the end Belldandy and Keiichi squeaked out a mere two-vote win, setting up a powerhouse showdown in the Group A finals next round.

Round 4 Group B should be posted within a few minutes.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ccdx

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 11:26 pm Reply with quote
I updated all brackets. Mini-game score will be updated late tomorrow. http://home.comcast.net/~unirizer2/

And just a reminder, you can now click on the green colored capital V's in the main bracket to view past video clips.

Enjoy!
Key

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 11:28 pm Reply with quote
Round 4 Group B is now closed.

Last round Group B featured four very decisive wins. Will we have highly competitive contests this time? Let's see!

EDIT: Also note that the video clips are, again, new this round.

Group B-29

Shinichi Chiaki & Megumi "Nodame" Noda from Nodame Cantabile [ Video Clip ]
vs.
Ayato Kamina & Haruka Shitow from Rahxephon [ Video Clip ]

Winner: Ayato & Haruka
Total: 14-9

Group B-30

Rakka & Reki from Haibane Renmei [ Video Clip ]
vs.
Sousuke Sagara & Kaname Chidori from Full Metal Panic [ Video Clip ]

Winner: Sousuke & Kaname
Total: 14-9

Last edited by Key on Tue Jul 29, 2008 11:01 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 11:47 pm Reply with quote
Group B-29

vs.

I don't even have to think about this one - Ayato & Haruka.

Group B-30

vs.

Another no-brainer for me - Sousuke & Kaname
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 12:03 am Reply with quote
Group B-29: Ayato Kamina and Haruko Shitow (Rahxephon)
Reason: Chiaki and Nodame have mostly had comedic chemistry in appearances I see of the pairing. Ayato and Haruko's pairing had enough emotional chemistry and believability for me to think of them having the strongest bond.

Group B-30: Sousuke Sagara and Kaname Chidori (Full Metal Panic)
Reason: Sousuke and Kaname have shown more chemistry together than what Rakka and Reki had throughout Haibane Renmei. Their interactions together are both touching and funny.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 12:38 am Reply with quote
Group B-29

Ayato Kamina & Haruka Shitow from Rahxephon

Reason: Honestly neither duo should have made it this far IMHO. I'm not saying they're bad duos, but they've both at some point gone up against other duos I think should have won. Between the two though I have to say Ayato and Haruka are the stronger duo. By the end of the respective series I think they as a duo have grown more together and are the stronger duo for their growth. So they manage to get my vote for this round.

Group B-30

Rakka & Reki from Haibane Renmei

Reason: For starters Souske and Kaname are hardly a true duo. They're comic relief. There are other much stronger duos in FMP. She also spends half the damn time beating him up verbally or physically. Comparing them to Rakka and Reki is comparing wine in a box to a vintage bottle of Chianti Classico 1958 Fossi. Rakka and Reki work well together, get along, and actually help the other. Kaname if nothing else always seemed like a crutch to Souske. Not a partner helping him equally. Rakka and Reki are equally supportive of the other and Rakka goes to great lengths to help Reki redeam herself so to speak. They are good friends and are there for each other far better then the FMP pair. They deserve to move on hands down.
Key

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 1:38 am Reply with quote
Group B-29

vs.

Shinichi and Nodame seem to have a good thing going for them based on the clips, but I am more familiar with Ayato & Haruka and more certain of their strength. They have a compelling enough connection, growth, and relationship resolution to earn my vote here.

Group B-30

vs.

This one I expect to be quite competitive. Despite my initial inclination to vote against Rakka and Reki just out of spite (I still don't think they should have beat Lumiere and Eclair last round, particularly not so easily), I decided to give their second video clip a chance. It's not as strong as the first one and doesn't show enough to convince me away from voting for Sousuke and Kaname. Some are going to try to claim that they're not really a duo, or that the relationship is unbalanced, but that's selling them short. Their relationship - whether romantic, as a comedy duo, protector/protectee (and Kaname certainly does her part to help out Sousuke at times), or whatever - lies at the heart of all three FMP series, and the connection between the two of them is strong. If it wasn't, would they feel so comfortable around each other despite the frustrations they cause each other? Would they worry about each other so much? And would Sousuke's disposition have turned so sour when circumstances forced him apart from Kaname in The Second Raid?

Sousuke and Kaname are the only pair in Group B that I feel is worthy of advancing to the Final Four, and they'll have my vote until they get there.
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 2:33 am Reply with quote
Group B-29
Shinichi Chiaki & Megumi "Nodame" Noda from Nodame Cantabile vs.
Ayato Kamina & Haruka Shitow from Rahxephon
Voting for: Ayato & Haruka
Reason: Are we still being vague about powerful but spoiler-laden reasons for favoring Ayato and Haruka? Amor vinci omnia.
Possibility for change: Slim

Group B-30
Rakka & Reki from Haibane Renmei vs.
Sousuke Sagara & Kaname Chidori from Full Metal Panic
Voting for: Rakka & Reki
Reason: I think I could ramble for a few paragraphs here, not about why the Haibane pair is better, but simply trying to figure out my gut feeling. I think the most concise way I can describe it is that I don't place much importance on the comedic aspect of a duo, and Kaname takes a while to grow beyond the tsun-tsun part of her tsundere roll. It's not necessarily a bad thing, just not my preference.
Possibility for change: Yes
dtm42

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 2:50 am Reply with quote
Group B-29

I haven't seen Nodame Cantabile, and I have seen RahXephon.

Therefore there should be no surprised reactions when I vote for Ayato and Haruka.

Group B-30

I feel that Rakka and Reki just simply aren't the strong duo here, simply because their bond felt rushed to me. And though Rakka looks up to Reki, they simply aren't "duo" enough.

Sousuke and Kaname are by far the better pair. They are yet another example in Anime of a set of "unusual" circumstances forcing two opposite people together. Whereupon they suffer from huge friction, have many adventures and hi-jinks, must fight off love rivals, all while gradually falling in love with each other. But Full Metal Panic: The Second Raid does it so right. We get to see how both characters fare when they are separated, and we see how much they need each other. How much they want each other.

There's just not as much depth to Rakka and Reki's relationship as to the one depicted across the entire franchise for Sousuke and Kaname (this is not to say that Haibane Renmei itself is a shallow series. Far from it. I'm making a distinction here between relationship depth and series depth).

Well, that was nice. Both choices were so easy.
velocet

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 3:15 am Reply with quote
Would it be possible for any of the people voting for Ayato & Haruka give a better explanation as to why they're so great?

I'm unfamiliar with the pair and I'd rather be a bit better informed about them before I vote - I've got a lot of love for Chiaki and Nodame, so I'd prefer to know their opposition a little better before I start making grand statements about their worth, if indeed I still think they're the better pair. The clip isn't really doing much for me, and all the previous votes for them have been vague at best. As I'm not fussed about spoilers for Rahxephon, spoil away if necessary.
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 3:20 am Reply with quote
Group B-29

vs.

This one required some thought -- but my vote goes to Nodame and Chiaki. A lot of the arguments against them have been that their relationship is solely comedic, which I believe is fundamentally wrong. The fact is, their relationship is complicated, and it carries the whole series on its back. Nodame is screwy, to put it mildly, and Chiaki appears more "normal". But the whole point of the story is that, as these two begin to rotate around a common center of gravity, they reveal slowly that Chiaki is a lot more messed-up than Nodame, and Nodame is far more grounded than he is. Together, they play off each other's strengths and weaknesses -- and interestingly enough, they swap places, in terms of weak and strong. Starting out as an incompetent who can barely achieve anything, Nodame slowly becomes the one person in Chiaki's life who is capable of turning him around from his essentially solitary path -- and she, in turn, grows into a surprisingly competent (if still screwy) person.

I'm confident in my vote for this couple, even if it does go against the general trend in this round.

Group B-30

vs.

I will agree that Sousuke and Kaname are a good duo, but I am amazed at the voters who say that Reki and Rakka are a weak duo, while saying that Haibane Renmei is not a weak anime. You can't have one without the other, folks -- the core element of HR is the relationship between Reki and Rakka, and their mutual efforts at saving each other. Without that relationship, the anime wouldn't work, and the depth of that relationship is one of the factors that make HR so wonderful.

My vote goes to Rakka and Reki.

- abunai
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 56 of 80