• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! [2008-11-13]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RDespair

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 10:21 am Reply with quote
krownklown wrote:
Im glad someone pointed this out, like the first poster said , Houshin Engi has absolutely nothing to do with journey into the west. Journey into the west, along with swamp bandits (suikoden) and two others are called the four great works and i think came out some time around the ming.

The 4 great works you're referring to are:

Journey to the West
The Water Margin (Suikoden)
Dream of the Red Mansion
Romance of the 3 Kingdoms
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mistypearl

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 10:40 am Reply with quote
I'm speechless, that made my day. Made my freaking day.

Thank you answerman, thank you.
bj_waters

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 10:41 am Reply with quote
I know it has been said before but that anime apocalypse was extremely clever and I can't go on with my life until I say so. Great work.

I personally think that American anime distributors are starting to get the hang of this internet/digital-media thing. I mean, Funimation has been posting a stack of their old material, The Anime Network has opened up, releasing some of their older stuff, Adult Swim and Sci-Fi's Ani-Mondays seem to be picking up in the anime selections, and I've never been so blown away before by the amount of anime available with Comcast's On Demand. There's plenty to be had.

While, yes, I'm sure the DVD sales haven't picked up, and I doubt they will really peak so high again, but I'd like to think that the anime business is stabilizing, maybe lower than most had wanted or expected, but at least stabilizing, and that's important.
maichips

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 11:11 am Reply with quote
Quote:
I sure as hell haven't seen a child-actor who could play a girl who looks like a boy with ADHD up the wall like Ed does, but then again, you don't see characters like that everyday, so maybe there is somebody, we just haven't seen that from them yet.

I bet Dakota Fanning could play a decent Ed. I'd say she's diverse enough to pull it off.

As for Faye... I agree. Outside the USA. Very Happy
ShugoYotsuba

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 11:45 am Reply with quote
Quote:
"MAYBE YOU JACKASSES SHOULD STOP STEALING ANIME ON THE INTERNET SO MUCH, PAY FOR SOMETHING ONCE IN A WHILE"

That was hilarious!!!

For anime worlds I'd like to live in:
1. DRAGONBALL- I know this sounds stereotypical, but being able to fly and shoot beams, and go "OVER 9000!!", and go golden when I get pissed off, would be kickass!! (although the whole fusion thing was pretty much mind-f*ck)

2. Lupin III- Traveling all over the world, and stealing stuff, in a wacky, zany way, would actually be fun, but seriously Zenigata needs to get laid BIG TIME!!

3. Ranma 1/2- Hey, changing into a chick would be nice,
plus I'd get to kick some ass, while doing some super cool fighting moves, while being hilarious at the same time, and maybe give the pimp of Furinkan High, Kuno (seriously, he should wear a purple suit, and have some funky background music), anyway I'd give Kuno a crotchbuster, if he tries to make sexual advances at me, and kill my douchebag of a father Genma Saotome!!
And I'd hook up with Ukyo, instead of the pig fetishy Akane Tendo (man, does PMS last that long, and what exactly does she do when she sleeps with Ryoga in his pig form), plus I'd get talk like Megumi Hayashibara, SUPER COOL!!

4. Slayers- Being Lina Inverse for a day would be AWESOME, the thing being how would I handle losing my powers, when I'm on my period (As long as I don't go crazy like Asuka from Evangelion, when she got hers, I know this is a strange question for a guy to ask, but I'm curious)

5. Negima!- Hey, Being a British guy, and being surrounded by 31 chicks everyday, and kicking some ass with magic spells, that would put Gash Bell! (Zatch Bell to you English fans), to shame!! Plus Ken Akamatsu is a badass manga artist!!

6. Lucky Star- To be my female half, Konata, for a day would be sweet, making anime refrences all day, and insulting Kagami and Tsukasa, while verbally sexually harrassing Miyuki/Miwiki, while living with a loli-fied cousin, and an otaku father, would be awesome, so would seeing Anime Tenchou and the gang at Animate!!
If I get married and have kids, I'm gonna raise my kids to be like Konata, and teach my daughter how to crossdress (YEAH!! My daughter's gonna be a crossdresser folks!!)

7. Azumanga Daioh- Who wouldn't want to live in their world for a day

8. Sgt. Keroro (or Sgt.Frog)- Hey, It'd be like living in Lucky Star, except 10 TIMES CRAZIER, plus like Lucky Star, I'd get to watch the same anime I do in the real world, plus being an alien (though I'd rather be an alien that looks like a human) would be SWEET!!

9. Digimon- Hey, I'd get to kick monster ass, every single day, plus I'd raise my Digimon to be a badass just like me!!

10. Fist of the North Star- To be Kenshiro for a day, and kick some major ass with the Hokuto Shinken, and blowing people's heads up, would be SWEET!!

11. Gundam- Piloting robots, while looking like a badass, and cursing like a sailor would be sweet!!
And plus I can do a perfect imitation of Domon Kasshu's Shining Finger!!

12. Cyborg 009- To be a cyborg for a day, and use acceleration mode, while kicking some major butt, would be sweet!!

13. 2x2=Shinobuden (or Ninja Nonsense)- being Onsakumaru for a day would be sweet!!

14. Evangelion- Being a badass and piloting some sick looking humanoid robots that go berserk would be awesome, especially with cool background music!!

15. Full Metal Panic!- To be Sousuke for a day, would be awesome, and I'm the son of a military sargeant so I could be Sousuke for a day

16. Gurren Lagann- do I need to explain

17. Angelic Layer / Chobits- To be in a world where it WWE with dolls, would be awesome!!

Chobits, on the other hand, I'd actually like to have my own persocom, and raise her to be a kickass, Crossdressing TOMBOY!!
OH YEAH!!!!!!!

18. Gravitation- Making my own band while being a yaoi character would be cool!!

19. Ouran High School- To be a host at a host club with a hot chick like Haruhi would be cool!!

20. Haruhi Suzumiya- As a member of the S.O.S. Brigade, I'd love nothing more than to be Haruhi for a day!!

21. Godannar- To be Kouji for a day would be sweet!!

22. Gao Gai Gar- Do I need to explain

23. Fruits Basket- Turning into an animal would be awesome!!

24. Dangaioh- Do I need to explain

25. Ah My Goddess! -Do I need to explain

26. Tenchi Muyo!- Do I need to explain

27. I know this isn't anime, but I'd like to live in Megas XLR, for a day, seriously busting up buildings in a giant robot would be awesome!!

28. Rosario + Vampire - To be Dark Moka for a day would be sweet!!

and many others.... BIG O SHOWTIME!!!
Gilles Poitras

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 12:32 pm Reply with quote
For Journey to the West related titles don't forget Goku Midnight Eye, one of the greatest exercises in bad taste in either manga or anime to have been released in English.

Then there is Hakkenden which is not directly based on Journey to the West but on a Japanese novel inspired by Journey to the West and written by the Edo Period editor of the Japanese edition.

Also the entire text of Journey to the West is available in a multi-volume translation for those of you who like their books long.
Greg Aubry

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 1:01 pm Reply with quote
I always thought Vanessa Marcil (as seen on the now-cancelled TV show "Las Vegas") would make a great Faye Valentine. She looks the part and has the attitude down. That being said, Bebop would need a lot of TLC and tweaking to make a good American adaptation.

The best examples from the column of movies that would work, to my mind, are Urusei Yatsura (done as "Those Obnoxious Aliens," I'm sure) and Black Lagoon.
purplepolecat

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 1:07 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
If you want to feel truly "involved" in anime fandom, especially on the internet, then you kind of have to keep up with the newest shows and watch them when they come out, when everyone else is paying attention and talking about the latest episode. Otherwise it's no fun, really, because you're not part of the big dominating discussion of the moment.

This is IMHO the biggest reason for people "stealing anime off the internet", even more so than saving money. I'm not saying that makes it right, I'm just saying that if you really want to tackle this problem, you should acknowledge that it's not just about people being cheap.

(I have no friends, so I wait for the cheap DVD box sets)
loka

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 1:13 pm Reply with quote
Dark Elf Warrior wrote:
I beg to differ. Not all anime are 17 minutes minus the opening ending credits, they are only a minute long, and several anime series are 25 to 30 minutes long, and that's not including the credits. Sorry to say this, but if people do have time to watch 10 series at once, they really don't have a life.

lol at the people who think watching 45min of tv per day (10 currently airing anime) have no life. they seem to have no concept of time. 10 fansubs per week is less than a single news hour per day. do you watch the news? then apparently you have no life?
Borinyukami

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 1:37 pm Reply with quote
Well...there are two ways I could answer that question. One way with answer heartfelt and honest, or I could lie and say, "Even dreaming of living in a world of an Anime is ridiculous."

But, I think I'll answer this the first way...
To be perfectly honest, probably DN Angel. The setting is in a time period of our own, but it seems to be set in Greece, or a place that had been heavily influenced by Greek culture. spoiler[(My reasoning for saying this are things like the Statue of Adonis, and the sunken temple)]

It is the sheer sense of realism the story creates for the viewer, or reader, that makes you believe that this place could exist. The animation captivates, and entices you into the world. Without a doubt, the world of DN Angel appeals to me the most of any anime.

A close second, would be the world of Princess Tutu. But the idea of my life being spoiler[controlled by the wills of a creepy author ]turn me off rather dramatically.
Quark

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 2:41 pm Reply with quote
First off, I'm chiming in with everyone that the anime apocalypse was awesome. The line about the tender anus just killed me.
For me, watching ten series at once would be quite an effort, but I think it's more that I would have a hard time remembering characters, and what's going on, more than anything. I tend to watch one or two series at a time, in large chunks, if I can, so that I can keep track of what's going on.
I work a full work week, but my social life is pretty nonexistent. I'm an old lady, and a home body to a fault, and dislike having to leave the house.
Despite that though I do find it difficult some days to even squeeze in two episodes of something. Some days I get home, have a small nap, do a workout, cook dinner, and maybe get forced into watching football or hockey (blech) or some awful movie I have no interest in with my boyfriend. Or else REALITY TV lures me in with its cursed weight loss shows that are beyond addicting.
My best anime watching times are when I'm left alone, or when my boyfriend goes to bed, and his friend and I will just power through anywhere from 2-10+ episodes in a sitting.
At any rate, keeping up with all you crazy Internet kids isn't so important to me. I was actually considering kicking back with some 90's anime, after re-watching Nuku Nuku brought back a rush of nostalgia. A person just needs to take care to avoid spoilers online, and then everything is just gravy.

And Shogo Yotsuba, for the love of God, don't force your daughter to cross dress, unless you want her to be incredibly sexually confused, resent you for life, and spend a fortune on therapy bills.
Imperialkat

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 3:39 pm Reply with quote
The anime apocalypse. Instant classic. You've truly outdone yourself.

It is entirely possible to watch 10 anime series a week and still have a life. At one point I watched almost every anime thet aired on American TV and that came out to over 10 (granted, most of that was on the weekend, but I still had Sci-Fi, IFC, and OnDemand during the week--six series in four hours). That said, the problem is when you try to add that to an already packed schedule. Sure, 10 anime a week is equal to an hour of news or an hour-long drama a day, but people still want to watch the hour-long drama. I personally would be hard pressed to add anything to my schedule right now that would increase it by even five hours a week. Equating it to something you already do is one thing; adding it in to everything else is entirely different.
Viga_of_stars

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 4:13 pm Reply with quote
The future question had the best answer in a long time.
fanrandom

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 4:31 pm Reply with quote
As one of those people who manage to fit anime watching in between the other real world activities that make life worth living, I don’t get much time to also read articles or keep up with fan sites about anime. I am very glad, to echo many of the sentiments here, that I stumbled across your column this week. So glad, that I actually signed up to ANN so I could post a response! The coming of the anime apocalypse was classic.
I do buy DVDs of my favorite shows, and buy DVDs of shows that I’ve watched as on-line fansubs. One big reason I watch fansubs is because some translations are just superior to the mainstream production company versions. My biggest peeve with mainstream translations is that they often don’t translate the non-verbal parts, i.e. some character spends ten seconds reading a letter on screen that is never translated but is obviously important to the plot and we non-Japanese readers are left in the dark. I understand it gets tedious to see every street sign translated on-screen, but sometimes you need to know what’s what.
For example, [and I apologize if this counts as a spoiler] when Gaara in Naruto has his flashback to when his forehead was marked, it is much more poignant to know what it says, than to just see it appear. And speaking of Naruto, and Answerman, is that really how yaoi fans see the Naruto/Sasuke fantasy “relationship” unfold? It’s funny no matter what and will keep me smiling all day. Thanks for the story.

Last edited by fanrandom on Fri Nov 14, 2008 4:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
Greed1914

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 4:32 pm Reply with quote
Hey Zac,

Since you mentioned Fallout 3, I have to ask: Are you good or evil in the game? I find evil to be rather interesting since I have price on my head now.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6