• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
An Anime similar to Mushi-shi

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tetsaiga

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 8:15 pm Reply with quote
I've been trying to look for an anime that is somewhat similar to mushi-shi. I want an anime that has you know.. ghost kinda things or some strange creatures and paranormal stuff. Or something like that

If anyone could help me by giving me a little list of some anime that comes to mind would be much appreciated.
Kimiko_0

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 8:25 pm Reply with quote
There are plenty of anime in the 'supernatural' genre. Go search the encyclopedia.
braves

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 8:41 pm Reply with quote
Indeed.

You also might want to read this.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mushi-Man

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 10:55 pm Reply with quote
I'm in the same boat as you, I'm a huge Mushi-shi fan and I still haven't found another anime quite like it. But you might want to check out Mushi-Uta. I haven't had a chance to see it yet but form what I understand it's suppose to have generally the same creature aspect. And form what I've heard it's pretty good. (if I'm wrong about any of this info I'm sorry.)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
frentymon
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 11:52 pm Reply with quote
Mushi-Man wrote:
But you might want to check out Mushi-Uta.

What? No way. Mushi-Uta is an action series and it's absolutely nothing like Mushi-Shi at all whatsoever besides a one word similarity. It wasn't a terrible series, but this is like recommending Air Gear to an Air fan.
LKK

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 12:03 pm Reply with quote
If you're willing to watch fansubs, Natsume Yūjin-Chō would be a good series to try. I found it similar to Mushi-shi in terms of tone and supernatural subject matter.
Clodus

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 1:19 pm Reply with quote
I think Mushishi is in a class of its own. I mean you hear people commonly say that its a breath of fresh air like something out of the ordinary within anime. Sure, the basic concept is the same as other shows but the feel is completely different.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 1:22 pm Reply with quote
braves wrote:
Indeed.

Also this:

http://www.anime-planet.com/anime/mushishi
teekay

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 1:59 pm Reply with quote
Kino's Journey has a very similar feel to Mushi-Shi, insofar as both are tranquil, episodic anime about travellers and the strange things they encounter. It doesn't focus too much on the supernatural, so it may not be what you're looking for, but I'd still recommend it if you liked Mushi-Shi's general tone.

Although I haven't seen it myself, I've heard that xxxHolic deals with the paranormal in a manner similar to Mushi-Shi, but with more of a horror-based flavor.
Mushi-Man

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 4:51 pm Reply with quote
frentymon wrote:
Mushi-Man wrote:
But you might want to check out Mushi-Uta.

What? No way. Mushi-Uta is an action series and it's absolutely nothing like Mushi-Shi at all whatsoever besides a one word similarity. It wasn't a terrible series, but this is like recommending Air Gear to an Air fan.

I suggested Mushi-Uta under the assumption that he wanted a series that had a similar creature idea. If i were going to suggest an anime with the same plot idea I would go for something more like... well I don't know I can't really think of anything quite like it. Maybe Ergo Proxy or Kakurendo, but those are a bit of a stretch. I've been looking for another anime like Mushi-shi for quite some time and I'm still out of luck.
kakitamike

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 12:14 pm Reply with quote
teekay wrote:
Although I haven't seen it myself, I've heard that xxxHolic deals with the paranormal in a manner similar to Mushi-Shi, but with more of a horror-based flavor.

I wouldn't really call it horror, though i'd say xxxholic has more comedic moments than Mushi-Shi. I'd make the rural vs urban comparison, but even then, it's kind of a disservice to both series, as their tones are vastly different.

xxxholic does have its share of strange ghost kinda things, if that's the only element from Mushi-Shi they're looking for more of.

Strange creatures and paranormal stuff is rather broad. Off the top of my head:
Ghost Hunt
Elfen Lied
Tactics
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 11:30 pm Reply with quote
I don't know about the other two, but I'd have to say Elfen Lied is almost completely unlike Mushi-shi. Especially in regards to atmosphere.
Vortextk

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 11:37 pm Reply with quote
I have to agree on Kino's Journey. I've tried a few ways to describe why it's similar and honestly, I just can't write exactly why very well but...

It's about a character traveling through a country side, coming upon strange occurences and dealing with them as an outsider. It's thoughtful and intelligent, showing both goodness and cruelty in its characters. Not only would I recommend the show solely on what it brings to the table, but also definitely as something similar to Mushishi. I've gotta say though, while somewhat strange things go on(it's more of very odd situations/customs then actual paranormal), it is lacking a physical entity resembling anything like the mushi. In that regard it's definitely different.
jetz

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 1:27 am Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
braves wrote:
Indeed.

Also this:

http://www.anime-planet.com/anime/mushishi

And this has even more:

http://myanimelist.net/anime/457/Mushishi/userrecs
Aromatic Grass

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 3:31 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:

jetz wrote:

I'm glad that both of these links include Mononoke, which is very similar to Mushi-Shi. I'm disappointed it hasn't already been mentioned in this thread, although I know Kino's Journey and Natsume Yuujinchou would be the more popular choices.

Here is a link to my thread in case anyone is interested in learning about the series (ignore the spoilers).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1