• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Sasami: Magical Girls Club DVD Season One

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sailorsean

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 1:09 am Reply with quote
wow this is the only good review of sasami i've seen... I might check it out this time... Laughing
Maruna

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 2:48 am Reply with quote
Oh yeah. Kids.

That's definitely an interesting point. It doesn't really increase my own liking for the series, but sometimes its easy to forget that these are cartoons, and kids like cartoons. Maybe I'll give my nephew some anime for his Birthday. Turn him into a fan early! What's a good series appropriate for a ten-year old boy?

Great review. It's always great to get a valid review from the other end of the spectrum.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
KanonAirHaruhiShuffle

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 4:48 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Profoundly derivative and occasionally banal in its subject matter. Otaku may want more fanservice.

i kind of disagree with this statement
Kimiko_0

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 7:58 am Reply with quote
Sounds like a good (though maybe not great) series all around Smile I'd already seen the ad for it and added it to my to-watch list based on the encyclopedia entry, but a good review is always helpful.

I particularly like the 'no fanservice' aspect. That's the one flaw I found with Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha (A's) so far; there are a little too many painted-on jackets, balloon-like breasts, and naked shots of little girls Rolling Eyes
The Human Spider

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 8:41 am Reply with quote
Yes!!! A show for antisocial creeps like me!!! I seriously do like SASAMI, but given all the hate the show seems to attract I was shocked at the review. Although I would have preferred a continuation of PRETTY SAMMY as a magical girl team type of show(I'd really like to see the movie in the fake trailer) I thought the first season of SASAMI was great as a sort of cute slice-of-life show with a magical girl theme; but I thought the second season got somewhat weaker when it started following a more serious plot. The one big complaint I have about the show is I hate Sasami's magical girl outfit(the ones for the other girls are pretty good though)--actually I think all of Sasami's magical girl outfits are ugly; it's like the character designers think that Sasami's already so cute that they can stick her in any ugly outfit and she'll still be cute.
pachy_boy

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 9:18 am Reply with quote
[quote="Although I would have preferred a continuation of PRETTY SAMMY as a magical girl team type of show(I'd really like to see the movie in the fake trailer) I thought the first season of SASAMI was great as a sort of cute slice-of-life show with a magical girl theme; but I thought the second season got somewhat weaker when it started following a more serious plot.[/quote]

I must digress completely. As much as I am a fan of all Tenchi spin-offs, the first half of this series was getting run-of-the-mill, and when the story picked up in the second half leading to an imaginative, climactic finale that was when my attention was hooked. And as silly as this sounds, I actually kind of cried when Sasami found out her friend Misao was Pixy Misa.

As for this review, I'm really starting to get Casey even less than before. Regardless, this was definitely a well-deserved review, saving it from being stomped completely by Bamboo. But I don't know how *entirely* family-friendly the dub version is. As lively as it is, I think I remember Washu saying a 'whoring around' comment. But moments like those are very few.

I've always liked the character Sasami, and from the get-go the characters and everything else about this series in general just charmed me. Just like the Sammy TV series, a real story gets going in the second half, and if you're like me you'll care enough about the characters and their situations to make you root for them. I also think the opening theme is very catchy. So I'm very proud to have made this series a part of my library, and I definitely think more people should give this show a chance.
LuckySeven

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 11:55 am Reply with quote
Other than it being part of the Tenchi Muyo franchise,I can't say I was totally interested in this in the first place. I'd rather not be lumped in with the 'creepy guy' crowd for watching this. But, somewhere down the line I may end up adding this to my DVD collection one day (I do have Risky Safety after all). Though just on Tenchi Muyo related stuff its not too high on the priority list.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime
Kimiko_0

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 12:01 pm Reply with quote
Speaking of Tenchi, do we have a guide to the franchise somewhere? There seem to be a lot of entries in the franchise itself, as well as spin-offs and such.
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 2:19 pm Reply with quote
KanonAirHaruhiShuffle wrote:
Quote:
Profoundly derivative and occasionally banal in its subject matter. Otaku may want more fanservice.

i kind of disagree with this statement

Why? And or which part?

Since anime can very easily be derivative and banal, I assume you mean the fanservice part. In which case I am guessing you as an otaku say that you don't want more fanservice. Which is you opinion of course but it hardly makes her statement false in any way.

It would have helped a bit if you wrote a sentence or two explaining yourself. Confused

So this is much better than Rozen Maiden I see, maybe I will check it out sometime.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 2:50 pm Reply with quote
Despite the finely done review, I still think Bamboo's review was much better. This is way too much moe for a person who barely tolrates moe like me.

Either way, this show is far too creepy for me.
Fronzel

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 2:52 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
...helping a little girl get over her parents' death.

Whoa, that's hardcore. Reminds me of the Ojamajo Doremi OVA. I'd actually like to see that.

Presuming it isn't just the usual "cheer up!" you hear whenever someone is bummed out in anime.

Can anyone tell me what episode that one is?
jr240483

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 4:24 pm Reply with quote
Kimiko_0 wrote:
Sounds like a good (though maybe not great) series all around Smile I'd already seen the ad for it and added it to my to-watch list based on the encyclopedia entry, but a good review is always helpful.

I particularly like the 'no fanservice' aspect. That's the one flaw I found with Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha (A's) so far; there are a little too many painted-on jackets, balloon-like breasts, and naked shots of little girls Rolling Eyes

Well i had no problem with the little fanservice with nanoha,alongs that there's little. And it's ashame there's none here. but at least it's decent enough fanservice for all the otakus here,cause it's because of sasami in the tenchi OVA series that caused this crave and it's very enjoyable.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 4:37 pm Reply with quote
Sounds better than that third Tenchi Muyo OVA.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
EricDent

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 6:15 pm Reply with quote
Surprised that this is not a review of the 2nd "season" since it did come out recently.

The only things wrong IMO with the show.

1: The dub says Sasami really odd, they say "Saucesami" in the earlier Tenchi shows, they got it right "Sasami".

2: Speaking of dub, where the heck is Sherry Lynn? She was great as Sasami in all the older Tenchi shows (including the recent OVA 3).

Other than that, it is a pretty fun show.

10 year old boy? I would say probably something like Pokemon or the like.
Splitter

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 7:00 pm Reply with quote
EricDent wrote:
2: Speaking of dub, where the heck is Sherry Lynn? She was great as Sasami in all the older Tenchi shows (including the recent OVA 3).

Chisa Yokoyama isn't present, so why should Sherry Lynn be?

Quote:
10 year old boy? I would say probably something like Pokemon or the like.

You underestimate 10-year-old boys. Naruto, Bleach... any of the uber-popular shounens would be great for that demographic.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3