• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation's Parent Navarre Confirms Staff Reductions

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GeneralArrow

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 2:24 pm Reply with quote
If funimation tanks we are in some serious trouble. I just hope they have a plan to survive these times.
Unit 03.5-ish

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 2:34 pm Reply with quote
Nooooooooooo FUNi!!! Crying or Very sad

I really hope this doesn't greatly affect their business or their release schedule. Freakin' economy. =/
kefkaownsall

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 2:48 pm Reply with quote
The good news is this isn't that much of a reflection on Funi's status. Probably the parent company needed to cut costs. It's just the economy.
SongstressCela

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 2:51 pm Reply with quote
Sigh. I hope this isn't the beginning of the end. I have a feeling the American anime "industry" is going to go back to the days of scrounging together homemade subtitled DVDs and finding whatever rare domestic release you can get your paws on for some horribly inflated price.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime
wilson_x1999

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 3:20 pm Reply with quote
So... I'm guessing this is why they said in the podcast that this would be the last one :S
pparker

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 3:36 pm Reply with quote
That's a 14% reduction for Funi, at the edge of what I consider a drastic reduction. Not enough to indicate danger, IMHO. That amount is significant for their bottom line, since human resources are the highest cost component for most companies, typically over 30% of total costs in non-manufacturing businesses. That reduction could easily make the difference between profit and loss.

In this economic environment, it sounds like an unfortunate but intelligent move to help secure the company's survival. It's a good sign actually that they are expanding their product line while at the same time reducing costs strategically. Many companies make the mistake of wholesale reductions of activity across the board, thus actively avoiding new revenue opportunity while forcing down costs. This sounds like a good thing for Funi and for the future of R1 under the current market circumstances.
edzieba

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 3:38 pm Reply with quote
pparker wrote:
That's a 14% reduction for Funi, at the edge of what I consider a drastic reduction. Not enough to indicate danger, IMHO. That amount is significant for their bottom line, since human resources are the highest cost component for most companies, typically over 30% of total costs in non-manufacturing businesses. That reduction could easily make the difference between profit and loss.

In this economic environment, it sounds like an unfortunate but intelligent move to help secure the company's survival. It's a good sign actually that they are expanding their product line while at the same time reducing costs strategically. Many companies make the mistake of wholesale reductions of activity across the board, thus actively avoiding new revenue opportunity while forcing down costs. This sounds like a good thing for Funi and for the future of R1 under the current market circumstances.
Or, to put it in terms more common on these here interwebs:
1) buy licenses
2) fire staff
3) ???
4) profit
Richard J.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 3:39 pm Reply with quote
This certainly isn't a good thing but let's not panic. Without knowing who was dropped, we really don't know the overall effect this will have on anything. At the very least, we can reasonably expect this to turn around since Funimation is one of the more profitable parts of Navarre, given past articles.

With them shutting down the BCI label (which I've read was a money pit anyway) this might lead to the parent company strengthening, which would in turn be good for Funi right?

If nothing else, the layoffs seem to the be the only signs of a problem with them. They aren't shuting down major operations right? It's not like when ADV suddenly started dropping all of it's various programs and projects and unlike Geneon, there's no capricious third party involved.

The key to keeping things going well is to go buy some DVDs, pay for some digital downloads and start going to family and friends and random strangers to say "hey, check this out!" and show them some anime.

Fans are who can fix things by getting more money into the system. We need to promote our favorite shows more, not by saying "download here" but with lent DVDs and an open mind. If you friend doesn't like subtitles, let him/her watch it dubbed! If they say that they only like a certain type of genre, find them something that fits that genre! (And I'm not talking about just on the Internet. I know some of you are like me and really don't have many friends but now's the chance to make some through anime!)
Unit 03.5-ish

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 3:51 pm Reply with quote
edzieba wrote:
pparker wrote:

1) buy licenses
2) fire staff
3) ???
4) profit

In this case, would the "???" be the big plot twist EVERY animu needs?
teh*darkness

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 4:00 pm Reply with quote
edzieba wrote:
pparker wrote:

1) buy licenses
2) fire staff
3) ???
4) profit

Or as the article said that Navarre let go a huge amount of their workforce as well, this is more likely forced layoffs due to the parent company than anything being wrong with Funi's financials. It's more like them taking the fall for the other badly performing divisions under Navarre Inc. Which sucks, but is the way of the business world.

On another note, stop complaining about if this'll affect their release schedule. They explicitly said it won't. Geez... lrn2read.
Paploo

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 4:17 pm Reply with quote
Well, the Economy's kind of iffy, and it does sound to be more Navarre-related then Funi-related. And it's not the first time an anime company had layoffs.

How to solve the problem? Keep buying anime Anime smile Funi certainly has a lot of good stuff on slate.
kokuryu

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 4:23 pm Reply with quote
I feel sorry for the people who lost their jobs.

But Funi did the right thing, and is probably going to be in a very strong financial position once the economy swings back around. I hope they will be able to re-employ everyone then.
Seraphim_Alchemist

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 4:24 pm Reply with quote
I normally don't post often and it's been awhile since I've been here... but reading two news about staff reduction does have me concerned. Specially when hopefuls such as myself with aspirations of working in said companies read them.

I'm only a year away from getting my BA in Tele-Communications... let's just hope things start getting better soon.
GeneralArrow

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 4:34 pm Reply with quote
Seraphim_Alchemist wrote:
I normally don't post often and it's been awhile since I've been here... but reading two news about staff reduction does have me concerned. Specially when hopefuls such as myself with aspirations of working in said companies read them.

I'm only a year away from getting my BA in Tele-Communications... let's just hope things start getting better soon.

If your Tele-Communications you'll almost always have a job. esp if its with your city. Its a technological field so you should pretty good off.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 4:46 pm Reply with quote
GeneralArrow wrote:
Seraphim_Alchemist wrote:

If your Tele-Communications you'll almost always have a job. esp if its with your city. Its a technological field so you should pretty good off.
Yeah, they always need someone to change out a black box, or replace a card when it fails, but having a BA might make you a bit over qualified.

On topic now and in reality it's FUNi that is the bright spark in Navarre's cylinder at the moment, so Navarre won't be doing too much damage to it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3