• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: ADV Films, Anime Network Add Anime to iTunes Store

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 5:20 pm Reply with quote
At first I thought it said Anime News Network. But it looks like ADV Flims is stilll around and hopefully making money.

I'd actually watch some of those shows if they weren't already availible through Netflix. But then again, assuming its one dollar per episode, one would save more just joining Netflix though.

But if this keeps ADV alfloat, then by all means this is a good move.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 5:27 pm Reply with quote
Yeah there's still a slight trace of vapour on the mirror, so we won't be going to the funeral just yet.
Kit-Tsukasa

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 5:35 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
Yeah there's still a slight trace of vapour on the mirror, so we won't be going to the funeral just yet.

The question is, without 5cm per second....what do they even have left that is of great value? Most of their remaining titles were handed over to Funi last year and Funi is currently dominating the US anime market....if you want, even monopolizing could be used in this situation.

The only turn around I could see is if ADV finally "learns" their lesson and actually put time into what they produce now. As some of us know....their recent works have looked like they were pressured for time to release.
zanarkand princess

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 6:29 pm Reply with quote
Kit-Tsukasa wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:

The question is, without 5cm per second....what do they even have left that is of great value?

What? Can you say Evangelion? How about Robotech?
Thar movie wasn't a huge hit anyway.
I'm glad they are doing this though it's nice to see them trying to get back on there feet.
v1cious

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 6:37 pm Reply with quote
Kit-Tsukasa wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:

The question is, without 5cm per second....what do they even have left that is of great value? Most of their remaining titles were handed over to Funi last year and Funi is currently dominating the US anime market....if you want, even monopolizing could be used in this situation.

they still have the rights to the Evangelion TV series if i recall. they also have Elfen Lied, Rahxephon, Azumanga, and quite a few other things.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 6:53 pm Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
Kit-Tsukasa wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:

they still have the rights to the Evangelion TV series if i recall. they also have Elfen Lied, Rahxephon, Azumanga, and quite a few other things.

All of which have concluded years ago. Now if ADV released Neon Genesis Evangelion in Blue Ray, I could see revenue coming again. ADV did license Azumanga and did a great job with it, so I really hope the company is able to turn the tables and become a strong company again.

What ADV needs to do (which I am sure they already have) is to see what they licensed and to see what is popular today and what was popular when they licensed a popular show a couple years ago. I don't think ADV is going any where just yet, but I thought the same with Geneon.
rg4619

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 7:43 pm Reply with quote
Kit-Tsukasa wrote:
The question is, without 5cm per second....what do they even have left that is of great value?

ADV probably won't become an industry giant again. However, as a boutique publisher, they might scrape by with re-releases and a few lower key licenses.

We'll see.
zanarkand princess

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 7:46 pm Reply with quote
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
v1cious wrote:
Kit-Tsukasa wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:

All of which have concluded years ago. Now if ADV released Neon Genesis Evangelion in Blue Ray, I could see revenue coming again. ADV did license Azumanga and did a great job with it, so I really hope the company is able to turn the tables and become a strong company again.

What ADV needs to do (which I am sure they already have) is to see what they licensed and to see what is popular today and what was popular when they licensed a popular show a couple years ago. I don't think ADV is going any where just yet, but I thought the same with Geneon.

I think ADV is being smarter about business then Geneon was in their final days so they might just make it out of this.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 7:58 pm Reply with quote
zanarkand princess wrote:
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
v1cious wrote:
Kit-Tsukasa wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:

I think ADV is being smarter about business then Geneon was in their final days so they might just make it out of this.

True, but I really hope no surprizes happen. But ADV was smart to license Eva back then. With the new movie coming out soon, popularity for the series might make some people purchase the tv series again.

If any company were to close, it would probably be a smaller company than ADV. We'll see how this all turns out, for better or worse. I do wonder though, what will ADV license next that will be interesting hit like Azumanga or Eva?
Wrial Huden

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 8:31 pm Reply with quote
I was wondering if ADV still had a pulse. This is good news.

Matt and Tiffany are scheduled to be guests at Kamikazekon, so hopefully we'll hear the latest on ADV's status.
Mario1234567

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 11:00 pm Reply with quote
Why don't they just Die. Give Clannad to someone else!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 11:11 pm Reply with quote
Mario1234567 wrote:
Why don't they just Die. Give Clannad to someone else!

Because no one else wanted it. The only other possible choice might have been Media Blasters, but they probably wouldn't have released it an other fashion. In fact, they'd have probably released single DVDs.
corinthian

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 12:13 am Reply with quote
If I recall, ADV held on to some of it's bigger titles. I assume they were the ones that did well, since they sold off so many others. They were at least the ones that I coincidentally happen to enjoy. Princess Tutu, Kino's Journey, Gunslinger Girl, Kaleido Star, Super Gals, Cromartie High School... It's good to see they've still got a pulse, since apparently half my collection is ADV titles Laughing
asgiov

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 12:55 am Reply with quote
That's good news, but it's kinda lame that they only offer the shows in one language (english). They should start offering subtitled versions too.
RenTers

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 3:55 am Reply with quote
Its nice to see another company other than Funimation working with iTunes.

Hopefully more companies can start doing this too. A $1.99 per episode is awesomely cheap.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3