• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
RIGHT TURN ONLY!! - The Rokuro Okajima Raising Project

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
oriana3k

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 1:09 am Reply with quote
Quote:
And, come on. Name another shoujo were the main character doesn't win her first love and instead must get over it and continue the story?

This. This is why I loved Cat Street and HYD.
Agent355

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 2:15 am Reply with quote
[quote="Oriana3k"]
Quote:
And, come on. Name another shoujo were the main character doesn't win her first love and instead must get over it and continue the story?

Sand Chronicles immediately comes to mind...

I really couldn't stand HYD. It starts off with a strong, admirable female protagonist who weakens in the process of falling into an abusive relationship with an entitled jerk. I know lots of people love it, but that's when I stopped reading.

Now if "Cat Street" has a protagonist who actually grows stronger in the face of adversity, I'd love to give it a chance.

Carlo, thanks for the great set of reviews. I only wish you'd include info about the production values and translater notes in the volumes you review, because I want to know if Dark Horse Carl Gustav Horn wrote a whole booklets' worth of translaters notes and comments in The Shinji Ikari Raising Project the way he does in every volume of Kurosagi Corpse Delivery Service.

I love his notes and insites, and it's one of the reasons I read and collect Kurosagi.
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 3:20 am Reply with quote
What the hell was that fanfiction thing? It made my head spin. It was more like a drabble thing. I must have missed the deeper meaning.

As of the manga--- I want to read that Eva one. I kind of liked Angelic Days. I know both are just nice fanfics of the original but I like to see them in a different setting.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
pachy_boy

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 6:29 am Reply with quote
I always loved 'Angelic Days' and thought it a great manga, and there's nothing Carlo Santos would say to convince me otherwise. I don't claim to have looked at too many high-school-romance-alternative-world spin-offs of Evangelion, but it always seemed to me that 'Angelic Days' was a more true, faithful adaptation of the sequence from episode 26 of the series since it literally starts with the same scenes and builds the story from there (and Shinji's feelings at the end for the girl he chooses feels so genuine). Since it isn't as much the same with 'Shinji Ikari Raising Project', this one feels more like another spin-off. But even saying that, I'm enjoying this manga even after the first volume. Maybe I'm just willing to read any alternative-world stories of the Eva characters living happier lives. Either way, I'm looking forward to see how the story develops in future volumes, whether it be differently/similarly from 'Angelic Days'
hypersoda

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 7:49 am Reply with quote
That's so weird...I just found out about Cat Street recently and was thinking about reading it! Now I definitely will! Very Happy

Hopefully it'll get licensed someday.
Higanzakura

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 9:35 am Reply with quote
the world in cat street is too pink....

spoiler[after a long time Aoyama came back to the entertaintment world too easy and i dont see her put much effort to get what she wanted,even her recovery doesnt seem too hard for her. The theme "stray cat" looks like it's just there because the mangaka said so.]
anyway it's a decent shoujo, better than HYD imo since i dont see anything interesting in HYD
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 11:50 am Reply with quote
Quote:

Um, just about every shoujo series ever?

Okay, that's an exaggeration, but lots and lots of series involve the girl falling in love with the Wrong Man first. And not just shoujo, plenty of series from other demographics fit the same bill. Heck, it even pops up outside of anime rather frequently. Think Bridget Jones' Diary, While You Were Sleeping, It Happened One Night, etc. etc.

In fact, I'd make two rules about any romance:
1) Any guy that a girl likes either at the beginning or when she appears in is probably not the one she'll end up with.
2) Any guy she pretty much hates at first site is likely to be the one she does end up with (even if there is no first guy).
And if it's a romantic-comedy, these rules hold even more true. Truly sappy romances (like a certain vampire novel series that shall remain anonymous) are more likely to break them.
lys

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 12:29 pm Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
Quote:

Um, just about every shoujo series ever?

Okay, that's an exaggeration, but lots and lots of series involve the girl falling in love with the Wrong Man first. And not just shoujo, plenty of series from other demographics fit the same bill. Heck, it even pops up outside of anime rather frequently. Think Bridget Jones' Diary, While You Were Sleeping, It Happened One Night, etc. etc.

In fact, I'd make two rules about any romance:
1) Any guy that a girl likes in the first volume of a series she appears in is not the one she'll end up with.
2) Any guy she pretty much hates at first site is likely to be the one she does end up with (even if there is no first guy).
And if it's a romantic-comedy, these rules hold even more true.

Ahaha. It's so true...! Especially the second rule (it's the whole premise of I Hate You More Than Anyone!). I tried to find counter examples on my shoujo-laden shelves, but from about 33 series only about 3 had a "love/like at first sight" that actually worked out. (From Far Away, Shinobi Life, Land of the Blindfolded. Slightly more complicated are Fruits Basket, in which Tohru loves everyone, and Skip Beat!, in which Kyoko hates everyone.)

Still, I think what's different about Cat Street (from what I remember—it's been a while since I read it) is that Keito really tries to win her first love, in a more real way than most shoujo heroines do. That, as the story progresses, the readers also want(/expect?) her to win him over, and it's actually somewhat surprising that she doesn't. And even "getting over it" isn't something that just happens like a snap where suddenly she's in love with someone else. I'd like to see this series licensed as well!
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 1:03 pm Reply with quote
Lys wrote:
Still, I think what's different about Cat Street (from what I remember—it's been a while since I read it) is that Keito really tries to win her first love, in a more real way than most shoujo heroines do. That, as the story progresses, the readers also want(/expect?) her to win him over, and it's actually somewhat surprising that she doesn't. And even "getting over it" isn't something that just happens like a snap where suddenly she's in love with someone else. I'd like to see this series licensed as well!

I'd agree with that! While some of the celebrity stuff feels forced, the characters felt a lot more real than the ones you see in so many other places.

I liked Cat Street pretty well, though it's not my favorite. I was happy to see that someone brought it up. It's certainly better than Hana Yori Dango, which just throws every obstacle the author can think of in the way of the main couple willy-nilly, until spoiler[she finally runs out of ideas and just ends the series without giving it any resolution.] Hated how that series wound up. Cat Street came after it, so perhaps she's maturing as a writer.
kaitune

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 3:33 pm Reply with quote
MOMOGUMI PLUS SENKI is a very interesting case of mangas... Well, I bought it last year when I am back in my country during a holiday, and found it to be normal manga (C+ is about right) although the drawing is very pretty. However, not so long after I was back abroad, my mother called me. Apparently, I forgot the manga in her car. She was struck in a traffic jam with nothing better to do, so she read it AND wanted to know if the second book is already in the market...

I have been trying to get her into mangas for years (although I have successfully came to an understanding with her that reading mangas is a perfectly normal hobby for a 20 years old), I never knew that opportunity will just present itself like this.

(However, with me not living together with her, it isn't easy to convince her into reading other series. Yet, she still keeps on reading Momogumi though. The only other manga she read is Nodame, which I easily got her into reading it after she had watched the live-action tv series.)
Xenofan 29A

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 9:21 pm Reply with quote
pachy_boy wrote:
I don't claim to have looked at too many high-school-romance-alternative-world spin-offs of Evangelion, but it always seemed to me that 'Angelic Days' was a more true, faithful adaptation of the sequence from episode 26 of the series since it literally starts with the same scenes and builds the story from there, this one feels more like another spin-off.

I think that it's based on a video game, actually.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 9:33 pm Reply with quote
Does The Shinji Ikari Raising Project have Mana from Girlfriend of Steel?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1