• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
RIGHT TURN ONLY!! - Bleach Holic

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
John Casey

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 11:29 pm Reply with quote
Oh, I think Nel plenty redeems herself later on. Razz

Still though; nothing for me tops the spoiler[Nnoitra VS. Zaraki fight] that's gonna go down soon.
Asrialys

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 1:39 am Reply with quote
Ha, I already see Christmas stuff at Costco.

Hm, even though the anime pretty much mostly followed exactly what happens in the manga so far, I'd still like to see how a certain part of Maria Holic was done in the manga. I guess that'll come up in the second volume.
championferret

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 2:32 am Reply with quote
Since Australia doesnt 'do' Halloween, we don't even have to wait for the Halloween stuff to go away. There's already Christmas stuf in the supermarket right now. Does anyone actually buy any at this time?

So Maria+Holic got a bad review? I was gonna pick up the first book in Japan because I personally really enjoyed the anime. Can anyone who has read the manga and seen the anime tell me if they personally think the manga is good or worth getting? Is the bad review due to RTO's personal opinion, or is the anime just better?
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 4:56 am Reply with quote
It's all Christmas stock now with us in the UK. We won't have a holiday until then.
DuelLadyS

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 8:34 am Reply with quote
Retail isn't 2 months ahead, it's a totally different system with 2 seasons- you have Christmas Season, and you have Not Christmas Season, and that's it.

My store put up our first Christmas stuff the last week of July. I expect us to still have a clearance aisle up until mid to late January. I can't speak for other workers, but for me it combines a disinterest in all holidays (I'm sick of looking at it by the time the holiday happens) with always starting Christmas shopping early. Very Happy

Maybe it's just me, but it's been a good long time since I've seen a manga I want to read pop up... perhaps I'm becoming too picky as far as my comics are concerned.
maaya

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 9:04 am Reply with quote
DuelLadyS wrote:
Maybe it's just me, but it's been a good long time since I've seen a manga I want to read pop up... perhaps I'm becoming too picky as far as my comics are concerned.

Very normal evolution I'd say. The more you read the more demanding you get. If your problem is not finding "mature" mangas, have you tried Bokurano or 20th Century Boys? Else, you might want to try some (Light) Novels? Pretty good stuff there imho ^^
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 9:31 am Reply with quote
Quote:
the act of blood-sucking is inherently cheesy

Oh Carlo, now I see why you don't like vampire series - you don't understand the kinky appeal. Basically understand that in almost every vampire story since Bram Stoker, blood sucking = sex. Not always, but in general. Think about it long enough and you'll realize why.

But meanwhile, thanks for preaching the good word on 20th Century Boys. I picked up volume 4 this week and loved it. Okay, confession, I've read the entire thing online, but I still loved it this time through! At this point with Urasawa, I'm used to volumes where we shift character focus, so I didn't mind that Kenji and everyone temporarily disappeared. He always eventually brings us back to the original story thread (not sure how that's going to work in the recent Billy Bat, which has been just... weird so far).
DavidShallcross

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 9:45 am Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
It's all Christmas stock now with us in the UK. We won't have a holiday until then.

They haven't figured how to commercialize Guy Fawkes Day?
Aura Ichadora

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 10:10 am Reply with quote
To be honest, I like Maria Holic. I'm not a big fan of anything yaoi or yuri, but yet I found myself laughing and enjoying this. I hope Tokyopop's printing quality hasn't affected this release too badly since I do want to purchase this series; I just don't want to read one page and then be reading the next one at the same time.
Big Hed

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 10:37 am Reply with quote
Carlo wrote:
And later on the story jumps a few thousand years into the future. This won't end well.

Yep, ain't it the truth (at least from watching the anime, which I hear is very faithful to the manga). But hey, at least it looks good.

championferret wrote:
There's already Christmas stuf in the supermarket right now. Does anyone actually buy any at this time?

Really? None that I've seen in Melbourne... Although there could well be some when I head back to Singapore in a couple of days.
wandering-dreamer

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 10:50 am Reply with quote
Since I now live in a small town and my only exposure to retail is my once a week Walmart excursion I can't tell you what the status of our decorations are. Didn't see anything for any season last week but who knows what I'll see this week!
And I think I'll give Psyren a try, it sounds interesting and I have nothing agaisnt shonen (reminds me, gotta catch up with HunterxHunter).
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 2:30 pm Reply with quote
Big Hed wrote:
Carlo wrote:
And later on the story jumps a few thousand years into the future. This won't end well.

Yep, ain't it the truth (at least from watching the anime, which I hear is very faithful to the manga). But hey, at least it looks good.

Odd, I'd been told the anime is more or less nothing like the manga. It certainly stripped out all the sex scenes (I quit after two chapters because the sexuality in it was really creeping me out, and I read Berserk, for crying out loud!), plus the manga goes on for quite a few volumes. I think the anime may cover only a part of it. And as a result had a borderline-incomprehensible ending.
Big Hed

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 4:40 pm Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
Odd, I'd been told the anime is more or less nothing like the manga. It certainly stripped out all the sex scenes (I quit after two chapters because the sexuality in it was really creeping me out, and I read Berserk, for crying out loud!), plus the manga goes on for quite a few volumes. I think the anime may cover only a part of it. And as a result had a borderline-incomprehensible ending.

Ah, well I'll take your word for it; I'm not basing my information off of particularly great sources. That would certainly help explain the ending.
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 5:41 pm Reply with quote
Big Hed wrote:
Carlo wrote:

Speaking of Kurozuka, how much detail does it go into with Kuro and Kuromitsu's relationship? Because I recall in the anime they'd only even met a couple of hours before he discovers her secret, and it wasn't quite developed to a relationship so much as infatuation or lust, prior to the time skip.
Youkai Warrior

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 8:08 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Oh Carlo, now I see why you don't like vampire series - you don't understand the kinky appeal. Basically understand that in almost every vampire story since Bram Stoker, blood sucking = sex. Not always, but in general. Think about it long enough and you'll realize why.

That is partially true. It depends what books with vampires that you read. Blood sucking has been made into something sexual. In real European folklore, however vampires did indeed drink blood (not for sex) (they were also know for eating raw meat, as they are demonic carnivores). Vampires targeted humans of any age and gender. Blood is a vampire's food source, just like how bats drink blood. In many vampire books, it is a male vampire who preys upon a female human, thus making it seem sexual. But in folklore, a vampire would prey upon males and females, young and old. They particularly preyed upon virgins because they were considered "clean". In modern media, they have turned the vampire into a sex fiend, rather than a fiend. I mean, in all honesty, sex is not scary (I prefer the blood guzzling vampire who attacks anyone, by the way), which may be why the vampire image has changed. They are actually alot more frightening than what you see in the media. After all, they are monsters, not humans.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2