• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Asahi Newspaper Hosts 9 Full-Page One Piece Spreads

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GATSU

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 8:25 pm Reply with quote
I don't think you should be mentioning the length of the series right now, considering Viz needs to convince American SJ readers to buy 30 volumes of it, and that current number might be a turn-off for them, if it's not Naruto. But I hope the company at least breaks even on that sped-up release, because I don't want to see my favorites canceled and/or delayed 'cus of this.
Zach Logan

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 8:31 pm Reply with quote
We're the podcast mentioned in the cited post. He's going to be mentioning a lot of new information on tomorrow's podcast as well concerning this information and One Piece: Strong World.

Zach Logan
http://onepiecepodcast.com
Cosplaybunny

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 10:31 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
I don't think you should be mentioning the length of the series right now, considering Viz needs to convince American SJ readers to buy 30 volumes of it, and that current number might be a turn-off for them, if it's not Naruto. But I hope the company at least breaks even on that sped-up release, because I don't want to see my favorites canceled and/or delayed 'cus of this.

I think that if you're already buying One Piece, then you know how long the series is (they've already released 23 volumes, not a small number by any means) and are ready to make the commitment to a long series. I'm pretty sure they're doing a quick release run to catch up with their Shonen Jump magazine which has just skipped ahead to Impel Down (YEAH!).

I really wish there were some scans for the advertisement, I'd love to see them. Oda's artwork is wonderfully original.
Crystalyn
ANN Managing Editor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 11:06 pm Reply with quote
Cosplaybunny wrote:

I really wish there were some scans for the advertisement, I'd love to see them. Oda's artwork is wonderfully original.

If you click on the Arlong Park Forums source link for the article, that website has pictures of the spreads.
Cosplaybunny

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 11:10 pm Reply with quote
Crystalyn wrote:

If you click on the Arlong Park Forums source link for the article, that website has pictures of the spreads.

Cool! Thanks so much. I must have missed the link.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 11:11 pm Reply with quote
Must have been a slow news day.
Taker128

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 1:01 am Reply with quote
The coverage that OP gets right now has begin to become pretty ridiculous.

A NINE-page spread on Asahi Shimbun, the second largest newspaper in Japan? It's like having a 9-page spread on USA Today.

Just did a little search on Wiki, USA Today have average circulation of 1.9 million copies per day, while Wall Street Journal has 2.1 million and has the largest circulation in U.S.

But Asahi Shimbun have average of 8.27 million in circulation for its morning edition. Japan have roughly about 128 million population, that means almost 1 out of 16 people will see that 9-page spread. That is some hard core exposure, even TV commercials on prime doesn't garuntees that kind of exposure.
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 3:22 am Reply with quote
Taker: In an industry which is on the decline, it's good business to promote the success stories.
Seca

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 5:59 am Reply with quote
Taker128 wrote:

A NINE-page spread on Asahi Shimbun, the second largest newspaper in Japan? It's like having a 9-page spread on USA Today.

Just did a little search on Wiki, USA Today have average circulation of 1.9 million copies per day, while Wall Street Journal has 2.1 million and has the largest circulation in U.S.

But Asahi Shimbun have average of 8.27 million in circulation for its morning edition. Japan have roughly about 128 million population, that means almost 1 out of 16 people will see that 9-page spread. That is some hard core exposure, even TV commercials on prime doesn't garuntees that kind of exposure.

As someone who commutes to Tokyo on an almost daily basis, I can tell you there are currently two ad campaigns in the city you cannot get away from, one is the au ads for their new phone model featuring Arashi and the other is the One Piece: Strong World ads.

Also for One Piece there are several stores that are working in collaboration with the movie promotion. I was Ikebukuro today and say an ad for special One Piece themed cakes at one of the stores there and I've seen ads on the trains for stores in Akihabara that are offering the same kind of thing. So really I don't find this kind of spread too surprising seeing that they're going all out to advertise the movie in practically every other way.
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 11:31 am Reply with quote
Kruszer wrote:
Must have been a slow news day.

For ANN?
Don't think so
OP is one of the big shonen titles & Jump or whoever being willing to fork out the yen for 9 full page ads is pretty noteworthy. Full page ads aren't cheap by any means.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 2:15 pm Reply with quote
If you say so, but it's a bunch of adds in a newspaper and newspapers are one of the largest sources of paper waste (luckily a recyclable one)....I just can't care at all. I mean if you saw the sheer amount of papers that we have that people don't buy and I have to toss in the recycle container every day where I work you'd probabally be surprised.

Last edited by Kruszer on Sun Dec 06, 2009 2:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
Revolutionary

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 2:20 pm Reply with quote
Taker128 wrote:

Well One Piece was the #1 manga (in popularity) in Japan the last time I checked. So really it isn't that shocking.
Taker128

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 2:58 pm Reply with quote
Kruszer wrote:
If you say so, but it's a bunch of adds in a newspaper and newspapers are one of the largest sources of paper waste (luckily a recyclable one)....I just can't care at all. I mean if you saw the sheer amount of papers that we have that people don't buy and I have to toss in the recycle container every day where I work you'd probabally be surprised.

Well, you should, because unlike U.S, the rest of the world still reads newspapers and there a reason why they are still around.

Revolutionary wrote:

Well One Piece was the #1 manga (in popularity) in Japan the last time I checked. So really it isn't that shocking.

I know OP is #1, and it si definitely one of my all time favorite, but a 9-page spread on teh 2nd largest newspaper is still pretty shocking. You just don't usually see a 9-page spread on newpaper. It shows how mainstream OP is in Japan that sponsors are welling to put the marketing money into it and Asahi Shimbun welling to give the space to show it.

P.S. I just did a research on Asahi Shimbun's ads rate for 2009. Its morning edition ranges between 32-40 pages and a full page ad [B/W] cost JPY 39,855,000 for national edition or $439,361.52 USD. Which means that it cost someone almost $4 million to put those 9 pages up and that Asahi Shimbun is willing to devote 1/4 of its space to show it.

BTW, this is the source that I'm using:

http://adv.asahi.com/english/index_image/ratebook2009.pdf
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 6:10 pm Reply with quote
Kruszer wrote:

California has a law that we have to recycle at least 50% of our trash & have had for years. I go to the landfill to recycle stuff about every 2 months. Newspaper doesn't pay much, so I put it in the nice royal blue trash can along with the other recycling & the truck takes it away every 2 weeks. Even lawn clippings, juice bottles, etc. get recycled so I don't see newspaper as that bad a thing unlike the ubiquitous water bottles everyone seems to have these days but many tell us do not equal out when they are recycled.
Isn't paper like the most common recycled item? I've bought printing paper & toilet paper allegedly made from recycled product & I note a lot of items are made from recycled content.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 7:34 pm Reply with quote
Yes it's very recyclable which is nice.

Quote:
Well, you should, because unlike U.S, the rest of the world still reads newspapers and there a reason why they are still around.

For people who don't have internet access or have difficulties with computers maybe. The internet made newspapers obsolete, however.

The meat of my town's paper is on the net and free so I don't need a newspaper or have to pay a subscription fee to read it. They do print a paper but it's only the bare-bones essentials. The leftovers still end up stacking up a lot though.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2