• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Japan's Animation DVD Ranking, December 7-13

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DarkHunter6523

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 9:34 pm Reply with quote
Oh look, Kara no Kyoukai is on top, didn't see that coming...
Clodus

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 9:52 pm Reply with quote
Yea, all of the KnK releases have topped the charts on their debut. The series combined definitely sold 300k+
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
fireaxe

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 9:53 pm Reply with quote
Wow, 51k copies for the LE vs 6k for the standard edition.... Japanese otaku sure are full of money. Shocked
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 9:57 pm Reply with quote
The constant high rankings would make a lot of peeps here curious on Kara no Kyoukai, right? I would imagine the licensing of this will be pretty damn high.
Tratious

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 10:39 pm Reply with quote
I wonder if Aniplex will release them(all the movies) on BD as a set ever?
hissatsu01

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 11:18 pm Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:
The constant high rankings would make a lot of peeps here curious on Kara no Kyoukai, right? I would imagine the licensing of this will be pretty damn high.

I have real doubts about Kara no Kyoukai being licensed in the US, for much the same reasons I have doubts about Bakemonogatari's release in the US. As you pointed out, its success in Japan means the asking cost is probably sky high (can't see anybody aside from Funimation being able to afford it right now), you're locking yourself into the release of 7 movies (or a partial release that just pisses off fans), the action sequences (while beautifully animated) are few and far between, there's a lot of dialogue, and the movies aren't even in chronological order for the most part... basically a lot of reasons why licensing Kara no Kyoukai might be a risky proposition.

I await the inevitable Japanese BD release, because I'm not betting on a US release.
TJR

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 12:18 am Reply with quote
fireaxe wrote:
Wow, 51k copies for the LE vs 6k for the standard edition....

It's a collector's market there. The vast majority of fans just don't touch standard editions (in actuality, the standard edition is much more limited in print than the Limited Edition because the market only wants the latter).
Fargo622

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 12:20 am Reply with quote
hissatsu01 wrote:
darkchibi07 wrote:

I have real doubts about Kara no Kyoukai being licensed in the US, for much the same reasons I have doubts about Bakemonogatari's release in the US. As you pointed out, its success in Japan means the asking cost is probably sky high (can't see anybody aside from Funimation being able to afford it right now), you're locking yourself into the release of 7 movies (or a partial release that just pisses off fans), the action sequences (while beautifully animated) are few and far between, there's a lot of dialogue, and the movies aren't even in chronological order for the most part... basically a lot of reasons why licensing Kara no Kyoukai might be a risky proposition.

I await the inevitable Japanese BD release, because I'm not betting on a US release.

A company named Proware Multimedia International licensed Kara no Kyoukai for release in Taiwan and also Delray licensed the Novels but has yet to release them. If an American anime company like Funimation is interested in it their probably going to wait and see how well Kara no Kyoukai sells for both of them before going ahead. It really sucks though because Kara no Kyoukai is waiting very patiently for an American release but has yet to see one. Mostly for the reasons you stated above I'm sure.
pparker

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 12:44 am Reply with quote
hissatsu01 wrote:

Frankly, if I were making licensing decisions, I wouldn't even be trying for this right now. There's no reason to bring it out soon, since we know it's great, but it's still very niche and no one's really clammering for it. A bunch of movies spread far apart, and doing them one at a time, isn't a great model for U.S. anime either. Attention span, changes in tastes and lifestyle, low early volume sales convince licensors to drop it, etc.

I also see no reason to even release this on DVD. It's a gorgeous series, action or not, and just begs to be watched in BD. In a couple of years, BD will have expanded in the market. Only if one were targeting double-dippers would it make sense to go for DVDs first.

My plan, smart as I am Smile, would be to wait until it's all available on BD and has passed the Japanese reverse import paranoia deadline, probably 6-12 months after the final BD release. License it for less, produce a dub at less cost with all episodes in hand, then package the entire set dub/sub in one killer box with lots of video extras, and market the hell out of it as a "new" series for the U.S. (might work differently elsewhere, e.g., Spain or wherever).

That's the version I'll be waiting for, anyway...
ninjapet

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 7:27 am Reply with quote
yay Seitokai no Ichizon is on the list, and it looks like it's selling well. Very Happy

I hope this means there's going to be a season 2 if the other releases sell well.
Fargo622

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 10:42 am Reply with quote
pparker wrote:

My plan, smart as I am Smile, would be to wait until it's all available on BD and has passed the Japanese reverse import paranoia deadline, probably 6-12 months after the final BD release. License it for less, produce a dub at less cost with all episodes in hand, then package the entire set dub/sub in one killer box with lots of video extras, and market the hell out of it as a "new" series for the U.S. (might work differently elsewhere, e.g., Spain or wherever).

That's the version I'll be waiting for, anyway...

That's the only way I can see Kara no Kyoukai getting released over here in the US and selling well. I mean even if it did get licensed right now, how would you release it? One movie at a time? Two at a Time? The movies are not in chronological order so singles probably wouldn't sell past the first release cause give fans a reason to leave and they'll take it and never come back. And if you did two movies that would of course cause reverse importation.
So maybe there is still a slight sliver of hope of Kara no Kyoukai getting licensed but well just have to wait a long time.
hissatsu01

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 1:16 pm Reply with quote
Fargo622 wrote:
A company named Proware Multimedia International licensed Kara no Kyoukai for release in Taiwan and also Delray licensed the Novels but has yet to release them. If an American anime company like Funimation is interested in it their probably going to wait and see how well Kara no Kyoukai sells for both of them before going ahead. It really sucks though because Kara no Kyoukai is waiting very patiently for an American release but has yet to see one. Mostly for the reasons you stated above I'm sure.

Unfortunately I doubt Kara no Kyoukai's release in Taiwan has any bearing on the likelihood of a US release. Taiwan seems to get many series the US doesn't, and more quickly as well. Additionally Proware does very high quality releases (don't own any, but from photos and what people who buy them say) more in line with Japanese release quality in both packaging and video than US releases. It seems almost all US releases these days are bargain bin quality.
Fargo622

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 3:54 pm Reply with quote
hissatsu01 wrote:

Unfortunately I doubt Kara no Kyoukai's release in Taiwan has any bearing on the likelihood of a US release. Taiwan seems to get many series the US doesn't, and more quickly as well. Additionally Proware does very high quality releases (don't own any, but from photos and what people who buy them say) more in line with Japanese release quality in both packaging and video than US releases. It seems almost all US releases these days are bargain bin quality.

That's very interesting. I'd like to see more into that if possible. I didn't really know there was a huge difference in packaging and video quality in English releases compared to Japanese releases. I wonder if there's any comparison's anyone's done out there that fully show it.
egoist

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 4:15 pm Reply with quote
DarkHunter6523 wrote:
Oh look, Kara no Kyoukai is on top, didn't see that coming...

In reality, this is the most underestimated anime I've ever seen, so I'm not really surprised by what you just said.

I've been keeping up with the movies since the first one was unofficially released, and I can't wait until I'm finally able to buy it; but I definitely want it as BD, not DVD. Though I'd gladly buy a bundle with all the 8 movies at the same time, I hardly think such thing is going to happen.
TJR

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 4:53 pm Reply with quote
hissatsu01 wrote:
Taiwan seems to get many series the US doesn't, and more quickly as well. Additionally Proware does very high quality releases (don't own any, but from photos and what people who buy them say) more in line with Japanese release quality in both packaging and video than US releases. It seems almost all US releases these days are bargain bin quality.

Quality is high if you're referring to singles. These are often similar to the Japanese releases and feature the same video transfers. Of course, episode counts usually reflect the Japanese releases too, which means two or three episodes per disc.

OTOH, budget boxsets are bootleg quality (plastic sleeves for discs, flimsy case that usually breaks during shipping). Where full-series collections are concerned, American packaging (although still cheap) is infinitely better.

Bear in mind, there's no dub vs sub debate within the Taiwanese market. It's a sub-only world, which makes it far less risky to release shows. Out here, distributors have to deal with high dubbing costs, as well as potential backlash/drastically reduced sales for sub-only anime.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2