• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Kindaichi Creator, Gundam Designer Animate Kihei Senki Legacies

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sam Murai

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 2:04 am Reply with quote
Sounds kinda interesting, but sounds kinda familiar. I like that AIT is sponsoring another work, though I thought the announcement they made was going to be something from another upstart and not industry veterans (although, it seems like the creator is relatively new). The idea sounded good up to the part of the "five or so special robots and their pilots of destiny", which has been done ever so often. It also doesn't help that the mecha pictured looks too much like a Gundam (well, given the designer...). Still, I guess it will all come down to execution, which always makes or breaks stock material...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 2:20 am Reply with quote
Yeah, the whole "average child chosen to save the world" trope was cliche twenty years ago. And yet we still see it today, with no signs of it diminishing. At the very least, couldn't the person writing the blurb come up with a better description of the protagonist? Even if the tropes are stale you can always put a new spin on them, but it seems this production team cannot do even that. Definitely not going to hold my breath on this show. If it turns out to be good then fine. But I doubt it.
Captain Crotchspike

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 2:55 am Reply with quote
I have to admit, as trope-y as the synopsis in this update sounds, I'm still thrilled by the prospect of a new 52 episode sci fi series. With robots and a new new IP and everything! Sure haven't seen one of those in a while.

p.s. Name dropping "Relic Armor Legaciam" here right now before somebody else does :B
ninjaclown

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 3:31 am Reply with quote
Child protagonists are often used because they quite clearly illustrate the consequences of war, rather than glamorize it. That doesn't work if the main character is a seasoned, hardened veteran. At least, that's what Tomino said.

I love the synopsis, tropes are NEVER bad.
Kaioshin_Sama

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 3:36 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Yeah, the whole "average child chosen to save the world" trope was cliche twenty years ago. And yet we still see it today, with no signs of it diminishing. At the very least, couldn't the person writing the blurb come up with a better description of the protagonist? Even if the tropes are stale you can always put a new spin on them, but it seems this production team cannot do even that. Definitely not going to hold my breath on this show. If it turns out to be good then fine. But I doubt it.

How can you possibly know that they won't be putting some kind of spin on them based on what looks like a deliberately vague if not poorly translated concept synopsis? Obviously they aren't going to tell you right away and spoil a twist during the earliest promotional phase if there is one. Also it didn't even say anything about an average child piloting the thing, it said a character that is a good for nothing and whose only skill seems to be gaming. Kind of reminds me of King Gainer now that I think about it.

I do agree with Sam Murai's statement that the design looks way to much like the Gundam though. Then again nobody ever said that Okawara's designs haven't been kind of stale ever since F91.
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 3:54 am Reply with quote
Kaioshin_Sama wrote:
Also it didn't even say anything about an average child piloting the thing...

Article wrote:
Ω99, the final hope of the defense forces selects an average teenage boy called amato...

Well, in my defence, teenagers are still minors in the eyes of the law. Well, unless they're eighteen or nineteen, but let's not get too complicated here.
Kaioshin_Sama

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 4:56 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Kaioshin_Sama wrote:
Also it didn't even say anything about an average child piloting the thing...

Article wrote:
Ω99, the final hope of the defense forces selects an average teenage boy called amato...

Well, in my defence, teenagers are still minors in the eyes of the law. Well, unless they're eighteen or nineteen, but let's not get too complicated here.

I'm fairly certain that part about "a boy called Amato" wasn't there an hour ago but I guess it settles it anyway.
Scamp

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 5:39 am Reply with quote
A 52 episode sci-fi series? With Giant Robots!?! fudge yeah, I'm looking forward to this!
TatsuGero23

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 8:20 am Reply with quote
Post Apocalypse type series this time around? Good change of pace from the warring factions and military themes of past. And I really have little issue with the "simple boy jumps in robot and becomes big hero" thing or things of similar nature. With these things, the description and premises maybe the same, but usually the execution or take on it is it's own. Looking forward to it.
garfield15

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 8:41 am Reply with quote
Whoa, it's a Gunda...wait a minute....You just have the same color scheme, eyes and face! YOU'RE A PHONY! Cool

That 52 episode thing has me reeling. Totally checking this out once a trailer hits.
System7

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 10:41 am Reply with quote
Gigazine also covered this conference (with few more pictures). Wink
http://gigazine.net/index.php?/news/comments/20100327_taf2010_legacies/
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:13 am Reply with quote
Again its up to teens to save every one but it does sound good
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 1:11 pm Reply with quote
Kaioshin_Sama wrote:
I do agree with Sam Murai's statement that the design looks way to much like the Gundam though. Then again nobody ever said that Okawara's designs haven't been kind of stale ever since F91.

Upon first glancing through the article and seeing the accompanying picture, I believed this was a Gundam series. I momentarily presumed it was another AU venture.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
radda

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 2:40 pm Reply with quote
Tropes aren't inherently bad. It's not what you use, it's how you use them.

Anyway: a new 52 episode robot series that's an entirely new IP? Do want.
dho331

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 5:56 pm Reply with quote
Very Happy give me robots or give me love (or give me eureka 7)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2