• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Mazinkaizer SKL Anime, Manga, Novel Revealed

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nightjuan

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:26 pm Reply with quote
Hmmm...I wonder if this happens to be what Imagawa is supposed to be working on next? Perhaps not, but then again it's too early to tell.

In any case, this is fairly unexpected since I was certainly hoping to see more Shin Mazinger rather than Mazinkaiser. Still, we might get both.
Covnam

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:48 pm Reply with quote
Sounds awesome, I loved that Mazinkaizer OVA. Looking forward to more, hopefully it'll come here too.
Sam Murai

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 12:03 am Reply with quote
Never expected another Mazinkaiser entry to come about, especially after nearly ten years since the last. Not that I'm complaining, since it's great news to hear one of the best super robot shows continuing. The new design looks so bad, as do the characters, but I really hope that Brain's Base is working on this one, too.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
penguintruth

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 12:08 am Reply with quote
Unless this is a sequel to Shin Mazinger, I doubt I'll be interested.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
JuicyB

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 12:13 am Reply with quote
nightjuan wrote:
In any case, this is fairly unexpected since I was certainly hoping to see more Shin Mazinger rather than Mazinkaiser. Still, we might get both.

One can always hope.
RedLeader

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 2:05 am Reply with quote
What the...? Is... Is that supposed to be Kouji and Tetsuya...? O_o I'm not sure what to think here... And that's not even getting into that Skull Pilder... Don't let us down, Go! Especially after the Opus Shin Mazinger was!
Brand

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:09 am Reply with quote
RedLeader wrote:
What the...? Is... Is that supposed to be Kouji and Tetsuya...? O_o I'm not sure what to think here... And that's not even getting into that Skull Pilder... Don't let us down, Go! Especially after the Opus Shin Mazinger was!

Maybe it's the Mazinkaizer for all the Fujoshi out there?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Chrno2

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:29 am Reply with quote
Man, 'Mazinger' still going strong. I have yet to see the newer series and OVAs. I recently picked up the past OVAs that were released.
Anime World Order

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:45 am Reply with quote
You got Gundam 00 in my Mazinger Z! Confused

Look, I get why they're doing it, but I don't have to like it and remain uncertain whether it'd actually even work in this case. In fact, were I not already a fan of the franchise, I would have taken one look at that no shirt, cutoff vest with ripped sleeves, tight ripped pants, kneepads getup and said "uh...yeah, no thanks." Contrary to popular belief, "judging a book by its cover" is about...oh, I'd say 99% accurate when it comes to anime.

I enjoyed the original Mazinkaiser OAVs (and movie which we never got here), but I was never a big fan of the Mazinkaiser design itself. I'd much rather have gotten Shin Mazinger Z vs Great General of Darkness or Shin Great Mazinger or some other follow-up to Shin Mazinger Z instead of more Mazinkaiser which probably is completely unrelated to the previous Mazinkaiser anime that was made. It does make me wonder though: why have they never revived Grendizer? Duke and Grendizer seem far more suited to the fujoshification process than any other Go Nagai super robot property.
SantaBla

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:50 am Reply with quote
I thought of the same thing. Grendizer should really get its own ova instead of this and let the Shin Mazinger series continue.

Unless this is related to Shin Mazinger? Maybe like in the future after the world has been totally destroyed by the Mykenes, and Blade couldn't do jack shit about it. Improbable, but one can dream.
nightjuan

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:00 am Reply with quote
It's not the kind of look I would have wanted to see, true, but it's not much of an issue for me either.

To be perfectly honest, I don't really care if the character or costume designs are somehow meant to appeal to a female audience or what have you. If the actual show is still what most people expect it to be, which is more Mazinkaiser, I can buy that and enjoy the final product easily enough. We don't have much to talk about either way though, so I'm hoping more details will be revealed soon enough.
FaytLein

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 1:35 pm Reply with quote
While the Mazinkaiser OVA was a blast, this redesign makes me feel worried. SKULLS do not an awesome robot make, however I might give it a whiel at some point. But man, no Great Mazinger love? Grendizer? Gaiking and Jeeg got reboot shows, why not those two classics?
RedLeader

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 2:52 pm Reply with quote
Fujoshi...? I'm not familiar with that term and it's not in the encyclopedia... :\ But I suppose it means some sort of girlification? In that respect, yeah, Grendizer lends itself better to that seeing as Duke was more of a bishounen than previous Mazinger pilots and probably the only real pacifist in Nagai's catalouge. Whatever this is, I hope it's not going go get in the way of a new Shin Mazinger... Cause that really needs some resolution.

As for Grendizer, Nagai said he'd look into it after he was done with all the new Mazinger stuff. So, I guess it's not part of Shin Mazinger or this new Mazinkaiser. Sad, really. If they explored the background of the Mycenaeans some more maybe we'd learn that Grendizer was made with Mycenaean technology left over on Freed, that would more closely relate it to the Mazinger family than just being the "adopted" member it is now. Oh, well. We'll just have to cross our fingers and hope this turns out well.
WatchforMoons7

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 3:04 pm Reply with quote
Me Likes Kaiser. It would be cool to see more work.

Shocked Holy look at that sword!
Vicserr

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 5:10 pm Reply with quote
Well, I'm always for New Mazinger Family projects and as long as it delivers on the Go Nagai levels of Super Robot Insanity... I'll be happy!!!!!!!!
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2