• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Crunchyroll Industry Panel

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Megiddo

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 2:55 pm Reply with quote
Well, congrats to Crunchyroll for breaking even. That's definitely not an easy thing to do on the internet. Just ask Facebook and Twitter.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 3:13 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
Well, congrats to Crunchyroll for breaking even. That's definitely not an easy thing to do on the internet. Just ask Facebook and Twitter.

Facebook has been in a ton of hot water because of the security issues, so I am somewhat surprised they are doing as well as have been recently. Since I don't know much about Facebook (nor do I want to), I am not sure what problems actually occurred.

I am not even going to go into Twitter though. But if they can make money by connecting people together, more power to them.
OtakuExile

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 3:32 pm Reply with quote
Ahh, they broke even. Well, the only message I convey from crunchyroll is that piracy, donations and the help of fansubs though a perpetual fanbase can really pay off, if you use it correctly.
agila61

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 3:42 pm Reply with quote
OtakuExile wrote:
Ahh, they broke even. Well, the only message I convey from crunchyroll is that piracy, donations and the help of fansubs though a perpetual fanbase can really pay off, if you use it correctly.

... that is, "using it correctly" as in, putting together venture capital finance to generate the money required to abandon user uploads in favor of content owner uploads and add over a year and a half of work.

Easy! One wonders why all the bootleg sites don't do the same.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 4:00 pm Reply with quote
agila61 wrote:
OtakuExile wrote:

... that is, "using it correctly" as in, putting together venture capital finance to generate the money required to abandon user uploads in favor of content owner uploads and add over a year and a half of work.

I've always wondered since they went legit, just where the venture capital money came from and how much those involved knew about the site's previous incarnation. I'm just genuinely curious since knowledge of the previous actions would probably give people pause.

Last edited by Greed1914 on Thu Jul 01, 2010 5:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
lostinagoodbook

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 4:01 pm Reply with quote
They mentioned Flash capability, but what about for non-flash machines like the Ipad?? I know they have an app for that but from what I heard before it's very buggy. Have they gotten it fixed?
OtakuExile

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 4:02 pm Reply with quote
agila61 wrote:
I would say very easy using illegal stepping stones to get there. Well, others are being watched as we speak. Crunchy jumped at the right time is all.

Where was your defense in 07-08, when we were watching these pirates get away with a ton of money? Hard work to dodge the law.
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 4:05 pm Reply with quote
Greed1914 wrote:
agila61 wrote:
OtakuExile wrote:

I've always wondered since they went legit, just where the venture capital money came from and how much those involved knew about the site's previous incarnation. It's not a knock, since I think it's great that they seem to be showing that going legit can work, I'm just genuinely curious since knowledge of the previous actions would probably give people pause.

Look up the news: The money came from Venrock: http://www.venrock.com/
and if you don't think these people research their investments first, well, think again.
garfield15

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 4:05 pm Reply with quote
Nobody asked what they were getting in the Summer?
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 4:12 pm Reply with quote
garfield15 wrote:
Nobody asked what they were getting in the Summer?

It was not in the program and only announced 1 hour priod at 11 AM on Thursday of the con.

I'd be surprised if there was anyone there other than press.

Plus they said specifically that they'll be announcing summer titles next week (if you read the live report), so asking would have been pointless.
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 4:26 pm Reply with quote
You know, for all my rhetoric about artists rights and adapting to online, I think I'm going to allow this article to speak all for itself.

So, people, this is how it's done. Notice how there were no take downs of aggregator sites. No lawsuits. Just a simple adaptation to put anime in a single location.

Build it, and they will come. CR is breaking even. Profits are growing. Throwing in the manga certainly won't hurt.

And this, ladies and gentlemen, is how you compete using free and be profitable.

If anyone in the anime industry is reading, allow CR to remove the region restriction and watch the site grow even faster.

So now, I'm going to say: See! I told you so!

Now, for the rest of you whining about pirate sites, it's time to learn from this. Stop worrying about pirate sites. Let those who know how to adapt give people a reason to leave them.

Oh, and if anyone from Hulu is reading: take notes.
configspace

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 4:32 pm Reply with quote
OtakuExile wrote:

funny thing is, even Funimation is relying on them (including me and others) too for One Piece, likewise with Bleach for Viz. Where do you expect to get the simulcast audience when they are so very far behind on the DVD releases? And how do you expect people who watch from the beginning to jump to the simulcast with One Piece currently having a gap of 261 episodes?
garfield15

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 4:41 pm Reply with quote
configspace wrote:

funny thing is, even Funimation is relying on them (including me and others) too for One Piece,

Wait what? No they don't.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 4:42 pm Reply with quote
samuelp wrote:
Greed1914 wrote:
agila61 wrote:
OtakuExile wrote:

I've always wondered since they went legit, just where the venture capital money came from and how much those involved knew about the site's previous incarnation. It's not a knock, since I think it's great that they seem to be showing that going legit can work, I'm just genuinely curious since knowledge of the previous actions would probably give people pause.

Look up the news: The money came from Venrock: http://www.venrock.com/
and if you don't think these people research their investments first, well, think again.

1. Thanks for the info.

2. Of course I know that a group like that does its research. I just didn't know where the money came from, so the amount of scrutiny was variable.

3. I still find it odd. I would love to have heard that conversation. "So you want to get some money for streaming shows online, and you're current service is to provide shows illegally? Well, we'll give it a shot."
OtakuExile

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 4:55 pm Reply with quote
That's unlike you to sound so desperate, configspace. It's great to know that you can dismiss their past, for something that benefits you in the future. Wait to buy it when available or download it while risking your IP address.

Supporting crunchyroll is shady in my opinion.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5