• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Manga Scan Site Says It Will Remove Manga

Goto page   Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Onizuka666

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 5:16 am Reply with quote
And so it ends. Easy come easy go, I guess.

I'll have to be making a list of decent unlicensed manga to track down, before to purge. Much on there will still never be licensed, due to pure financial risk.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
smokes

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 5:16 am Reply with quote
it had shitty quality anyways..

tho its sad..

who's next?
Paploo

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 5:20 am Reply with quote
Huzzah!
Let the doom begin.
Nice that it kicks off alongside Square Enix starting a digital store.
You can still read your manga online kids, you'll just have to get the legit version that's all, and learn to appreciate stuff. Time to grow up.

Onizuka--- Apparently some artists didn't want to license their titles due to the amount of english languag piracy out there. Hopefully this, and a more stable manga market free of piracy, will increase the chances of those titles getting licensed. Also, there's the possibility less popular titles will be digital-only releases, as SquareEnix is kicking off a digital store, and VIZ has been using SigIkki as a testing ground of sorts, so I imaghine their other sites could do something similar, leading to lots of titles getting digital test runs before print ed's. Lots of chances for lots of titles, and the death of pirate sites like One Manga will probably help that.

Mind you, we won't get everything, but I'd rather have a healthier manga industry and happier mangaka then read every title under the sun [do I really need to? No, no one does]. The manga industry and it's creators have no room for your crocodile tears, so it's time to move on fandom- real digital efforts are coming, so enjoy those, respect creators, and support your manga and real fandom.

Last edited by Paploo on Thu Jul 22, 2010 5:28 am; edited 1 time in total
Yorozuya

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 5:24 am Reply with quote
I'm not going to lie and say I'm pleased about this but I guess it's good something is finally being done since I know I probably wont bother to read as much manga online any more thanks to this :/
Hiyugi

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 5:26 am Reply with quote
About time.

I was wondering when this was going to happen. I kept telling my friends that site was going to close down soon, but they didn't believe me.

Fufufu, I can't wait to see their faces. The reason why I'm so happy that this is happening, because that site has some serious *** campers there that don't leave their rooms...EVER. Their parents been very worried and hope that phase they are in will pass or maybe some need of counseling.

Anyways sorry for the people in other countries that don't get manga, but this was going to happen with the way the world economy is going these days.

People in this business got to put food on the table is all I'm saying and it's not just the books they sell, but the particular paper they buy from their suppliers, the ink for a million pages or more per book. This kind of business goes through many channels, just like a regular newspaper company, which I'm pretty sure that everyone has notice their decline with many newspaper companies and even magazine companies have folded because of the new digital age.

Now for the US fans, I'm pretty sure that the manga companies will get the proper chapters that are popular up through some kind of website soon...but we can only hope.

I am kinda interested in the aspects of when OpenManga will be up and what they will publish and what their prices will be...
Paploo

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 5:33 am Reply with quote
I imagine some people will have trouble coping with the change, but this is something they probably needed to happen without realizing it if they spend all their time reading manga online.

Sorry for the schadenfreude kids, but I am honestly VERY happy about this. I sympathize with you all a little bit, but it wasn't mean to last forever, so buck up, and get your Otaku on in other, better ways.

http://www.shonensunday.com/top.shtml I highly recommend starting on Sunday
darksharingan

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 5:41 am Reply with quote
Damn, I wasn't completely prepared, all I wanted to do was finish Mysterious Girlfriend X and then I'd be cool with it, onemaga is the only site where I could read it.
BorgmanJayce

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 5:44 am Reply with quote
I think it sucks that the site is closing down as it had manga that will NEVER get a legitimate release in English like the Saint Seiya spinoffs, City Hunter and GS Mikami plus Highschool of the Dead (which may or may not get a release).

At the end of the day, I'm still for fanscanlations and this little setback won't stop me from reading them!

(And before anybody gets high and mighty about how I'm not a true Otaku because I read scanlations... I actually do buy manga every month, especially from the likes of Waterstones and the London MCM Expo as well as my local comic shop in Liverpool and I have a pretty decent sized collection of various genres; mainly ecchi, shonen and the odd shoujo)
Umitencho

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 5:46 am Reply with quote
sigh

Last edited by Umitencho on Thu Jul 22, 2010 5:59 am; edited 2 times in total
Ahab

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 5:48 am Reply with quote
Hiyugi wrote:

Fufufu...

Somebody has a laughing defect.
Ulinox

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 5:49 am Reply with quote
Hahaha, I KNEW this would happen. I KNEW it. I didn't think they would be removing ALL titles, though. It's only a matter of time now, soon only the IRC channels will be left.
BorgmanJayce

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 5:50 am Reply with quote
Paploo wrote:
Huzzah!
Let the doom begin.
Nice that it kicks off alongside Square Enix starting a digital store.
You can still read your manga online kids, you'll just have to get the legit version that's all, and learn to appreciate stuff. Time to grow up.

Onizuka--- Apparently some artists didn't want to license their titles due to the amount of english languag piracy out there. Hopefully this, and a more stable manga market free of piracy, will increase the chances of those titles getting licensed. Also, there's the possibility less popular titles will be digital-only releases, as SquareEnix is kicking off a digital store, and VIZ has been using SigIkki as a testing ground of sorts, so I imaghine their other sites could do something similar, leading to lots of titles getting digital test runs before print ed's. Lots of chances for lots of titles, and the death of pirate sites like One Manga will probably help that.

Mind you, we won't get everything, but I'd rather have a healthier manga industry and happier mangaka then read every title under the sun [do I really need to? No, no one does]. The manga industry and it's creators have no room for your crocodile tears, so it's time to move on fandom- real digital efforts are coming, so enjoy those, respect creators, and support your manga and real fandom.

I call BS on your claim that this will get rid of piracy, especially as I'd rather have my titles in a physical form and even if a certain unlicensed title isn't in physical form in English, I'd still rather read it as a scanlation rather than hope and pray it gets a legitimate release.

The problem with a lot of the publishers is that they're not willing to take risks, especially with titles from the 80's and 90's so you can understand why people visit scanlation sites to read scanlations of manga like the ones I mentioned in my original post.

On another note, you don't happen to work for one of the English-language publishers by any chance as you seem to be a bit too eager over the shutdown of One Manga...

*wonders if the people who are happy at this news are big fat hypocrites who claim that they hate scanlations and yet at the same time have no problems downloading fansubs of the same shows that have a manga counterpart that's not available in English!*

Last edited by BorgmanJayce on Thu Jul 22, 2010 5:54 am; edited 2 times in total
ZenErik

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 5:50 am Reply with quote
Excellent news! Good riddance.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
silverwings

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 5:59 am Reply with quote
Feh, I figured they'd just take down all their licensed manga.

Still, it's the internet. The content will just move somewhere else. *shrugs*.
Kaesebrezen

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 6:01 am Reply with quote
ZenErik wrote:
Excellent news! Good riddance.

We're finally back to IRC. Yep. Good news.
The guys who know where to get their mangas still will get them.
The guys who don't know it just will look for another hobby.

It won't do the manga market any good. That's pretty obvious at this point of time. Pricing, quality and late releases just don't make manga very attractive in it's current form.

Last edited by Kaesebrezen on Thu Jul 22, 2010 6:01 am; edited 1 time in total
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page   Next
Page 1 of 19