• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The X Button - Brush with Greatness

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sheleigha

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 11:35 pm Reply with quote
I'm not sure whether to think Atlus publishing Naruto games is a good thing or a bad thing. As a niche game fan, it seems like Atlus is going a bit too mainstream, which I'm not a fan of, because it seems to take away from their core work. Plus, as a collector, I can't really get "all the Atlus gamez" because there is plenty out there now, which aren't even RPGs :/ Same thing goes to the same path Square took. Once they've absorbed Eidos and even Taito, it's hard to see Just Cause 2 and Kane and Lynch as Square titles :/ Plus, I rarely buy games based on anime (not that there is many anyways...)

However, on the bright side, many people are saying "Naruto games will help give Atlus a profit to make more games" perhaps, or just more of a choice to make more Naruto games (which they've already announced doing for next year >_>).
Another plus, might be that without Bamco having the rights to the next batch of Naruto releases, MAYBE just MAYBE they will use that time to focus on some OTHER GAMES... Not that Pacman and DBZ will earn them alot >_>
zawa113

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 11:44 pm Reply with quote
Hmm, I was thinking of selling my 360 but then....oh you Megaten team and your crack addictive games :3 I guess it can stick around for longer...seeing as how I already have the blasted thing.

And ugh, Okamiden, I am not looking forward to the hype surrounding this because I was one of the few people who genuinely did not like Okami despite the fact that I love both Zelda games, platformers, and other games like Zelda (like Dual Hearts and Alundra) and I actually did play the PS2 version so uuggh, why is Okami getting a prequel of all games?

And Atlus and Naruto....well as long as it gives them a bigger budget, I can't blame them for releasing a cash cow upon the masses, they've given us so many awesome yet not-too-profitable games over the year that I won't think any less of them for it, so long as they don't go totally Naruto (which I honestly just don't think they would).
Twilightmaster

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 12:16 am Reply with quote
Catherine looks interesting, but I need to see more detailed information about the game before i'm on board for it.

I'm looking forward to playing other M, despite my hesitations that it's probably going to either a. be too easy like all nintendo games these days, or b. have clunky controls like i've heard some previews address.

and lastly, I can't wait to play Valk. 2 but hearing that 3 might also be on the psp is a bit disappointing. this series deserves to be on the main console.
Haterater

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 12:29 am Reply with quote
Also don't like Atlus going in this direction. I rather they try to bring more unique and niche type of games here. I hope the company is doing okay, as I see this giving them easy money if times have been rough.

As for Catherine, I really need to know gameplay before jumping shift. I don't want to be all hype for a game I may not want to play. But then again, I might jump on it anyway, as it looks very different than normal affairs I've come across.

Quote:
why is Okami getting a prequel of all games?

Its actually a sequel. I love the graphics so far and they have many familiar characters and locations. Hoping the story is solid enough that they can continue the franchise. Okami is a long game, but I love every moment of it.
Ranma824

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 12:37 am Reply with quote
Quote:
The game seems at home on the PSP, and that's where Valkyria Chronicles 3, which Sega recently registered in name, will likely end up.

I hope you're not right. I'd take a 360/Wii exclusive over another portable sequel.

Don't get me wrong, I got VC2 preordered and am very excited for next week. But the first game was just so gorgeous in HD - I hope Sega feels that this franchise belongs on an HD system.
Sheleigha

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 1:01 am Reply with quote
The funny thing about Valkyria 3, is that I read that they were thinking of putting it BACK on PS3 if 2 sells well. *shrug*
The Count

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 1:35 am Reply with quote
Sheleigha wrote:
The funny thing about Valkyria 3, is that I read that they were thinking of putting it BACK on PS3 if 2 sells well. *shrug*
I've heard that too, I've also seen an interview where one of the creators said they want to put in aerial and naval combat in the next game, something I think would be hard to do on the psp.
RedLeader

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 3:24 am Reply with quote
Wha? Naruto?! Oh, Atlus... How about some Lord of the Elemental instead, huh?

I thought Other M was coming out on the 31st (i.e., NEXT week)... Anyway... Remember when people were making scenes and supposedly giving up their fandom when they learned that Prime was a shooter? And now people having the same reactions to Other M they had to Prime before it was out... Let's hope Other M shuts the fanboys up the way Prime did. Smile
Reaper gI

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 4:02 am Reply with quote
Erm Resurection is a port of Do-Don-Pachi Dai-Fukkatsu, from 2008-10.
It takes bits from every other Do-Don-Pachi game, not just the first one. At least it's the "easy" version not Black Label; first loop is fairly doable as you have auto-bomb/guard mode (on the easy shot type) if it's like the arcade.
sepherest

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 6:53 am Reply with quote
I'm sure Naruto fans are going to appreciate all the pre-order bonuses that Atlus is throwing in for them. I haven't kept up with the series in a while but I remember having a lot of fun playing the games with my friends around 9th grade.

As for Catherine, I'm still quite excited for it. I was getting kind of tired of playing all the Persona games and it's good to see one by the team that isn't just kids in high school or another re-release again. Kind of worried about the gameplay since the last actionish non-RPG thing they made was Maken X....so yeah. At least the music's guaranteed to be good Laughing
HJSoulma

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 7:56 am Reply with quote
classicalzawa wrote:
... I was one of the few people who genuinely did not like Okami... why is Okami getting a prequel of all games?

Aaaaaand you answered your own question. It's not like someone just announced a sequel to Superman 64 or Custer's Revenge. It's a sequel to an incredibly well-received game that you just happen to not like.

Also, is the whole "uggghhh" business really necessary? Does it cause you pain or inconvenience you somehow that a game many people like is getting a sequel? I mean, I don't like... say, the Call of Duty games, but I don't complain when they release a new one every year because their release does not affect me in any way. It's not like Capcom has taken over your house as its base of operations to create this game. You don't like it? Don't buy it! Easy as that.
prime_pm

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 8:33 am Reply with quote
Custer's Revenge 2: The Rape Escape

I have honestly never played Okami before. It just never "clicked" for me somehow. I probably should too. Should probably play Ico as well. Still have to finish that Shadow of Colossus yet.
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 8:43 am Reply with quote
I wouldn't call Prime a shooter just because you uses guns for combat, it's more of a first-person adventure game. Otherwise I could call Zelda a hack and slash just because he primarily uses a sword. I never cared much for 2, and have yet to get a Wii so haven't played 3 yet, but I STILL replay 1 often even to this day. Truly a terrific game, and the graphics and environment detail still impress me even now.
Soundmonkey44

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 10:04 am Reply with quote
Personally, Can't wait to play Metroid prime! Very Happy (although I'll have to wait to buy it since all my Video game savings are going towards Birth By Sleep.)

and the DS Okami spin-off looks fun. As for Atlus publishing Naruto games, meh Im apathetic, don't care for or against, I like the Naruto manga, not the games.

And I heard of Cathrine afew days ago, From the Trailer I saw looks like one of those Mind**** games in a way. Depending on how its done, it could be really good, or really really bad.
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 10:30 am Reply with quote
Catherine interests me, even if it does look balls to the wall insane. And despite concerns for Other M I've heard I'm still looking forward to Samus speaking.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2