• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Universal, Illumination Get Film Rights for Urasawa's Pluto Manga

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jmfsilenthill

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:27 pm Reply with quote
This could be neat! I really love Pluto and I think a live action version would be awesome, if done well!
minakichan

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:27 pm Reply with quote
Speaking of which, where's that Monster movie?

So this movie will be a reimagining of a reimagining?

As long as they, you know, get that Pluto is actually dark... because if you want to make a lighthearted cartoony adaptation of the Astro Boy character, you might as well just...... base if off Astro Boy.

But does Pluto even make sense or have interest for people who aren't familiar at all with the Tetsuwan Atom mythos?
giapet
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:33 pm Reply with quote
minakichan wrote:
But does Pluto even make sense or have interest for people who aren't familiar at all with the Tetsuwan Atom mythos?

I've read Astro Boy and loved Pluto-- and my boyfriend hasn't read Astro boy, but loved Pluto. It certainly makes sense on its own. As for interest, I'm not always the best predictor of the world at large, but as with just about any film project, if it's done well and marketed properly people will probably be interested.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:44 pm Reply with quote
minakichan wrote:
Speaking of which, where's that Monster movie?

Hopefully never happening, IMnsHO. A Monster LA TV series? Now that could be cool.

I feel... hopeful, but this is just the "rights" to something. Who knows whether it will ever actually happen.
yamiangie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:55 pm Reply with quote
I was hoping for an anime but this works too.
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:33 pm Reply with quote
Not sure if there's any money in a movie like that, considering what happened to A.I. and Surrogates. But that Hugh Jackman robot boxing flick might change things. Anyway, I'm just surprised Uni didn't announce a Dororo remake, considering they picked up the live-action movie a few years back.

minaki: The guy I talked to who was involved with the screenplay said he turned his in, but nothing new since then. But now I'm wondering how you can do a Pluto movie when Imagi still has the AB rights. Wouldn't there be some legal issue there, given that they share the same character? It's not all under one tent like when Marvel had Thor's hammer appear in Iron Man 2.
lostinagoodbook

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:35 pm Reply with quote
Pluto is an excellent story that I believe can stand very well on it's own even if you're not familiar with Astro Boy. I loved it and while I'm aware of Tezuka's original stories I've never read the manga or seen the anime.

I have hopes for this one. I think Monster is wonderful, but too ambitious for a movie. This story is much more concise and with the right writer could turn out great.
atunderdogk

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:41 pm Reply with quote
Hmmm... I wonder if this will be easy to really pull off. I'm a little over halfway through Pluto and have read all of Monster and they are phenomenal. But the thing that makes both of these so great is the intricate details of each character within each story. I don't think Urasawa has ever had a character that didn't really add some weight to the overall idea of the story. I mean, I personally feel that there are no "side characters" in his works. Yes, there are some that get significantly less screen time, but the fact he is able to make entire chapters without featuring one of the main protagonists and still have it feel natural (if not completely unnoticed!) really speaks for itself. And although 8 volumes isn't impossible to adequately adapt, there is a lot packed in the first 5 volumes (where I'm at now). So I'm sure it will have to be adapted in order for the story to make sense and fit within a reasonable amount of time, but in order for them to pull this off, they are really going to have to make sure they've got it together.

Maybe they'll use Urasawa's approach but tell it like the original story, The Greatest Robot on Earth, which seems like it would be easier to condense into a movie.

Either way, I'm excited to see how this goes.

Last edited by atunderdogk on Wed Oct 20, 2010 4:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
DrizzlingEnthalpy

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:58 pm Reply with quote
>American Astro Boy movie bombs
>Make darker and edgier Astro Boy movie
Redlinks

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 4:06 pm Reply with quote
This should be awesome! As long as they stay close to the manga, that's all I really care about.
Jikorijo

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 4:33 pm Reply with quote
I'm happy to see Pluto make the jump to the screen. I loved Urawsawa's take Osamu Tezuka's (the creator of Astro Boy and God of Manga) story. Urawsawa did a great job developing some chracters who weren't as developed as other ones (Gesicht, Mont-Blanc, North #2, Brando) and adding some new elements to the story. Still, Urasawa kept to the original spirit of the Astro Boy manga and the social problems it tried to tell to kids. It say's a lot from being a big fan of Osamu Tezuka's work and even knowing the ending from reading the original that Urasawa still surprised me and moved me.
Apollo-kun

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:03 pm Reply with quote
As long as they don't let ImagI near Astro Boy ever again, I
think I'll be fine. Razz
KanjiiZ

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:20 pm Reply with quote
Dear Hollywood,

Stop getting licenses to properties you'll never make movies of.

Thank you.
The Xenos

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 6:51 pm Reply with quote
While the idea of a series of movies based on Urasawa's works is exciting... I really don't know if it will be done right. I've yet to see Hollywood get shorter American books right. You got your Sin City and 300 being pretty spot on... but Frank Miller is no Urasawa. Ghost World was a smaller film. Hellboy was only occasionally close to the books. Dark knight and Batman Begins were good with the task of adaption 30 years of the many versions of the character, but in no way was the direct adaptation Pluto would need. Hell, even Japan and Warners did an awful job on Death Note.

Now I've yet to see the 20th Century Boys films or finish the manga. How did those films work?
wandering-dreamer

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 7:47 pm Reply with quote
I'm tentatively optimistic about this, I just think that Pluto would do better as a series than a movie since there's so much stuff in it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2