• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Interview: Tow Ubukata

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DarkCyradis

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 3:45 pm Reply with quote
LOVE Ubukata Tow. *__* But as cool as Mardoch Scramble is, I was really hoping for some scoop on the upcoming new Fafner movie, Heaven & Earth (and the Fafner stage play starting in December). ANN, can you please call Ubukata-sensei back and ask for some Fafner scoop?
Otaking09

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 3:58 pm Reply with quote
Only Tow work I've seen thus far is D'eon.

Although I'd like to see Fafner, and H. Age.

Wonder if these movies will be as great as the Kara no Kyoukai movies...
They both have a legendary actress at the helm!
Losstarot

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 4:00 pm Reply with quote
I like his response to the "How is Balot set apart from the female leads in other novels and anime?" question. Really interesting stuff.
bemused Bohemian

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 4:26 pm Reply with quote
Ahhh, finally!! We get to watch (and, hopefully, buy) a shiny new anime reminiscent of the '50's era b&w TV series "Naked City" AND it promises to be darker. I'll be looking forward to this release. Thanks for posting the interview. Based on it this series sounds delicious.
gartholamundi

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 6:21 pm Reply with quote
Losstarot wrote:
I like his response to the "How is Balot set apart from the female leads in other novels and anime?" question. Really interesting stuff.

absolutely!

this. whole. thing. sounds. so. incredibly. awesome.

i cannot freakin wait! wooot!
Big Hed

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 6:34 pm Reply with quote
Will watch if I get the opportunity. If it got a theatrical release in Singapore next summer, that would be awesome!
ittoujuu

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 7:42 pm Reply with quote
It seems like Tow Ubukata's is a name that comes up with reasonable frequency when talking about more "literary" writers in anime. I can't really give a fair analysis of how well he succeeds at being that, since the only thing he's written for that I've seen is Fafner. With Fafner, I think it had some solid themes and got them across well, but...I just didn't like the core cast that much, and the series felt like it was constantly operating in the shadow of shows like RahXephon, when more differentiation from that model would've made it stand out more (that, and why is it so hard to make an interesting lead in a series of that type?).

I'll probably borrow the DVDs for Le Chevalier soon, as I've wanted to see that for a long while but never got around to it. Knowing a bit more about what kinds of themes Ubukata goes for, I'll be on the lookout for them when I do watch it.

As always, thanks for the interview. Industry interviews were always the thing I liked best back when I used to go to conventions, so it's nice to still get an inside scoop. Plus, people like this will give actual, opinionated answers instead of the kinds of vague non-answers some of the more socially prominent figures will give.
Wooga

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 8:27 pm Reply with quote
That was a great interview! But how is cooking with meat the opposite of cooking with eggs?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1