• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hyouka (TV).

Goto page   Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Volibear

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 10:01 pm Reply with quote

Hyouka
Anime Spotlight

Plot Summary: The story follows a boy named Hōtarō who joins the club of classical literature by order of his sister, although he prefers not to get involved in anything. The club will gradually nearer to the truth after some incident involving a boy's uncle and the same happened 33 years ago. He eventually dragged seeing solve the mystery by another girl.

21 Episodes
Adventure, Mystery, School

Ep. 1
Well, have to say i loved the animation KyoAni did for this, absolutely loved it. Sure seemed worth the wait in that regard. As for the story and characters, i'm not so sure, i really want to like it but it feels like it's lacking something, it may just have been spoiler[the lack of any kind of serious mystery, which for a mystery series was kinda a huge let-down], i'm really hoping spoiler[it improves in that regard during the rest of the series, something proper and more serious, cause getting locked in a room and a unauthorised poster on a notice board really won't cut it as the standard of mysteries for me i'm afraid ]

i think i'll stick with it for a little while, maybe 3/4 episodes but it will have to improve to keep me interested and tuning in each week otherwise i'll just drop it and save myself the time

Last edited by Volibear on Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:59 am; edited 5 times in total
Stark700

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 10:37 pm Reply with quote
I just watched this about 10 mins ago and thought was fairly decent so far.

Well, after waiting for nearly 3 weeks, this series finally premiered. (although there was a special premiere @ Kadowaka Cinema, Shinjuku if you were lucky enough to be there).

Anyways, it's starts off as a typical school setting. Our MC is here is named Houtarou Oreki who in his minds and his friend describes him as someone who is not keen in joining clubs, play sports, or socializing.

Well, an overall enjoyable episode especially for a nice Sunday night, right? I mean, the art is nice and the OP song is catchy. There wasn't too much action in this first episode and not all the characters were introduced. Still, with the current characters and their contrasting personalities, I'm enjoying this series so far. Anyways, looking forward to next week of this mystery series.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 11:01 pm Reply with quote
Didn't realise that this was done by KyoAni until I noticed all the bits that were of their style, and checked it afterwards. Well it looks like KyoAni are getting out of their moe/slice of life rut, I will most definetly be watching it. Some of the well done animated parts reminded me of bits from the Haruhi movie.

I think that you are being a bit harsh Volibear, it is only the first episode so a serious mystery would unlikely pop up. It really was just meant to show our main character who I think brings up a slight Kyon and Haruhi thing with the girl, except he is even more not wasting energy, and Chitanda is not a slave worker (but rather cute and curious).
EmbraceMe

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 11:12 pm Reply with quote
The animation and visuals are very very beautiful. I don't remember seeing too many still scenes so I really enjoyed this aspect. Houtarou is a pretty cool character so far and I like how he acts - living life in a manner where you don't expend too much energy. Sounds exactly like me when I'm in school.

Story wise, meh. I think I've stopped caring for such things when I see pretty art. The story was nothing spectacular but it kept me entertained for the whole episode so I won't complain [too much]. Japanese mystery fails to astonish me most of the time. I can't really judge the whole show on these two mysteries since it's the first episode.

This being a KyoAni adaption, I saw some similarities in the art. The background characters, their uniform at least, look like its from K-On and the school felt like the school in Haruhi.
infiltration.cru

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 6:34 am Reply with quote
if this is gonna be running around and examining supposedly mysterious events that can be explained in a sentence and are actually boring as hell - count me out.

found houtarou enjoyable though, kind of akin to my university self. but still, they definitely have to get out there storywise and really give me something interesting. beautiful art can only carry so far...
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 6:41 am Reply with quote
I liked it. I dug the various expressionistic techniques to convey the characters mental state, particularly the one where we see Hotaro becoming entranced with Eru - her hair entangles him. Laughing I'm liking the characters so far and how they have been delineated.

Yeah, any thoughts that this might be this season's Another were dispelled by this episode. (I enjoyed Another, but this looks like it will be pretty cool too in a different way.)
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:00 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Yeah, any thoughts that this might be this season's Another were dispelled by this episode. (I enjoyed Another, but this looks like it will be pretty cool too in a different way.)

Famous last words, next week the killings start, first they are small, a homeless person or two, but then towards the school. The only one who can figure out who or what is taking lives is the boy who lets life pass him bye, and his new friends at the classics club. Is the mysterious golden web involved?

My guess is that the killer is his supposed sister, a being of pure chaos that wormed an existance into creating an older sister, and the club's actual purpose is a lightning rod for mystery that gives the being power.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:17 am Reply with quote
Laughing I see a bright future for you in anime writing, DP.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:30 am Reply with quote
I was thinking of starting with childrens books. Wink

Actually, to be honest I have been doing some writing, sometimes with dark tones (actually writing a bit now), so I like bullsh!# with some stories.

Last edited by DuskyPredator on Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:36 am; edited 1 time in total
infiltration.cru

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:35 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
Blood- wrote:

Famous last words, next week the killings start, first they are small, a homeless person or two, but then towards the school. The only one who can figure out who or what is taking lives is the boy who lets life pass him bye, and his new friends at the classics club. Is the mysterious golden web involved?

My guess is that the killer is his supposed sister, a being of pure chaos that wormed an existance into creating an older sister, and the club's actual purpose is a lightning rod for mystery that gives the being power.

one death and they got all my money!
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:38 am Reply with quote
Considering how much effort the kid goes to in order to not expend effort, I guess he just can't say no to the girl. So what causes the compulsion? Attraction? Giant, freaky eyes?
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:54 am Reply with quote
Yttrbio wrote:
Considering how much effort the kid goes to in order to not expend effort, I guess he just can't say no to the girl. So what causes the compulsion? Attraction? Giant, freaky eyes?

My current theory is that he is a sleeper agent, and "I must know" is the key phrase. He is a very important piece in a plan of espionage.

That or he is a normal teen and just has the hots for the girl so he will do things against his normal personalities to please her. But that does not sound like the sort of thing Kyoto Animation would get messed up in.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:03 am Reply with quote
In the fansub I watched, her key phrase was, "I can't stop thinking about it!" I think that version is sexier.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:15 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
"I can't stop thinking about it!"

That was the one (it is nice), sorry I am a bit distracted that I got the phrase wrong. I guess I must pray to my anime deity for the week for better memory, who is *pulls name out of lottery* this.
Mister V

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 12:17 pm Reply with quote
So far, the presentation is its main attraction (art, animation and music are all great). But that's sort of expected from KyoAni, and it's not like they can beat Disappearance here anyway.

So far the lead girl is nothing special. She loses to at least two other female leads of this season, if not three (Nyaruko, Yuuko the ghost and possibly Sanka Rea). The lead guy is not bad, definitely somewhat more interesting than your average anime highschool male, but of course isn't anywhere near Kyon level.

And yes, I'm going to be biased against this show, because they're doing it instead of other projects that they should be fu--ah, no, calm down, me, calm down. I'll give it the standard 3ep trial at the very least, trying not to be too negative.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page   Next
Page 1 of 11