• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: U.S. Supreme Court to Review 'Gray Market' Imports Again

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sunflowerseed

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:40 am Reply with quote
It almost sounds as if the law it parallels selling pirated items. To see Target on the list would bring a lot of yard sells in as well wouldn't it all across the USA? I have software licenses for things that say it is mine and I cannot sell it as the disk is a llcense to use it when its valid not to sell to someone else for any reason.

For me anyhow must of the stuff I buy is technically destroyed by the time I use it so I have nothing to sell anyway. How would that affect items like from Hong Kong for anime and all the collectibles from Japan? The one thing I have never understood is how one person can be responsible for a payment that is the total value of their entire enterprise instead of some figure near the price of the items and oh say a 1,000 or 5,000 dollar fine? That price they are seeking is astronomical.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 12:05 pm Reply with quote
So things are kinda slow at the US Supreme Court these day then? Laughing
Annf

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 12:18 pm Reply with quote
Just in case anyone's confused: the issue is importing for resale. Importing single copies for personal use is explicitly permitted in title 17, section 602a(2).
Catseyetiger

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:42 pm Reply with quote
I only care about single copies for personal use.
many of the anime i love and manga like moon phase it stopped at book #12 in the usa and finished at book 16 in japan i think.
meaning i would want to import and translate the last few books!

same with some of the anime that will never see a release state side.
Tenbyakugon

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:43 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
So things are kinda slow at the US Supreme Court these day then? Laughing

lol AZSB 1070 and PPAC, anyone?
Kit-Tsukasa

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:57 pm Reply with quote
In other words, they want college kids to stop buying imported/resold textbooks and get ripped off by buying them on campus. I see how it is...

To be honest, the damage done by these kind of transactions are actually rather small in the US. This is not India or China where counterfeits and other transactions of the like are vast and at large. The case is basically saying, "let's close all arbitrage loop holes by forcing them shut" rather than trying to establish a "law of one price" globally. The latter is hard and takes time and money, but it fixes the long term problem of people going broke.

Companies complain about these kind of things but when looking at a larger perspective, only a minority are aware of this market and an even greater minority actually use it due to trust barriers.
streexanime

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 5:48 pm Reply with quote
I might not be too knowledged on the issue regarding grey markets (looking them up more now), but this sounds less like a copyright issue than it is about a company controlling third party sales.
Mune

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:27 pm Reply with quote
This in all is a dumb law.
I understand it protects the original creator/producer.
But, this kills the second-hand market on these products if they are originally sold from a foreign country.

So, if I import a game for personal use. After looking at it in person, but without opening said game, I decide that I do not want it. I am prohibited from selling it in my country because it is illegal?
gsilver

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:45 pm Reply with quote
This would be bad news for retail all around. Hobby stores would no longer be able to sell things like figures (with the exception of the few that get licensed), and big box stores would be locked out of many avenues for cheaper goods, resulting in higher prices. Not good at all for the consumer if they block this.
TJ_Kat

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:04 pm Reply with quote
If I remember right, it's not specifically importing for resale that's the issue here, it's importing for resale when there's already someone with the rights to sell the product domestically. It's not to protect the original creator/producer, it's to protect the domestic distributor.

Hobby stores would be unaffected because there is no one with the legal rights domestically to the products they're importing to sell.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 12:03 am Reply with quote
TJ_Kat wrote:
If I remember right, it's not specifically importing for resale that's the issue here, it's importing for resale when there's already someone with the rights to sell the product domestically. It's not to protect the original creator/producer, it's to protect the domestic distributor.

That sounds about right. It's like buying Toyota cars in America where those are sold cheaper, then importing those to Japan and selling those for below-market prices with still a profit. It's not the buying and importing; it's the reselling, in large quantities, that would irk Toyota. Collegiates could keep buying and importing cheaper books, just don't resell in large quantities for profit because then that'd be a business, not a personal, operation that's competing against the properly licensed domestic distributor.
Sailor S

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 2:01 am Reply with quote
Mune wrote:

So, if I import a game for personal use. After looking at it in person, but without opening said game, I decide that I do not want it. I am prohibited from selling it in my country because it is illegal?

Not at all, that's perfectly legal. The issue comes if you import 1000 games and sell it in your country.
StudioToledo

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 3:53 am Reply with quote
Sailor S wrote:
Mune wrote:

Not at all, that's perfectly legal. The issue comes if you import 1000 games and sell it in your country.

So in other words, DON'T BE A RESELLER!
bemused Bohemian

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 4:36 am Reply with quote
China counterfeits a lot of marketable product for eventual resale. Too bad there is no easy way to deter their violations.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 10:29 am Reply with quote
Sounds like the guy was running a business selling books undercutting the authorized domestic distributor.

Since he was having his family ship these books to him, one wonders if they were properly declared to U.S. Customs.

Aren't there differences in declarations for things for personal use and things for commercial use.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1