• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: AX Idol Stephanie Yanez Performs in Akihabara

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TsubomiKoneko

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 12:15 am Reply with quote
Hmm this makes me kinda sad... I had to check to make sure she was who I think she is, and yeah she's the one that did the version of 'Ningyo Hime' that's on the Anime Karaoke Collection CD I bought a couple years back... I didn't really like her style...

But whatever, this is good for her, that she's actually gotten somewhere since then.
v1cious

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 12:19 am Reply with quote
Stephanie Yanez is considered an idol now? really? i remember checking out her youtube channel awhile ago... god her voice is like nails on a chalkboard. anyways, good job for establishing a career doing something she likes. i mean i guess some people must like her... i'm not one of them.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 12:39 am Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
Stephanie Yanez is considered an idol now? really? i remember checking out her youtube channel awhile ago... god her voice is like nails on a chalkboard. anyways, good job for establishing a career doing something she likes. i mean i guess some people must like her... i'm not one of them.
I agree, watching those videos yesterday on akibanana pretty much ruined my night...
minakichan

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 12:45 am Reply with quote
Uwa.

Wonder how the Akihabarans find her. I mean, some otaku go for weird complexes; maybe there's some moe fetish for high-pitched weeaboo Japanese.
Kenji_Ikari

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 12:46 am Reply with quote
I'm not usually one to criticise people... but I sorta agree.

I caught her concert at PMX, and her voice was way too screechy/nasally/high pitched. Every now and then she sounded okay, but...

Also, seemed like she was trying too hard to be cute.

Maybe she'll appeal to Japanese otaku who like that kind of stuff, though...

Last edited by Kenji_Ikari on Thu Dec 04, 2008 1:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
fighterholic

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 2:35 am Reply with quote
I hope that Vic Mignogna wasn't there to say how glad he is to be in "Akiharaba."
Kyogissun

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 2:36 am Reply with quote
Ugh, I watched her videos on Anime Selects on comcast on demand...

She's annoying as **** and the fact that she's trying to 'represent' a crowd... Really annoys me. She's WAY too obnoxious and out going.

I don't mean to complain but... I just can't help it. When I think of all the people who went to try and get into that trip to japan contest or whatever it was comcast held... And that she got chosen most likely because of past connections, I just facepalmed.

...So many more people deserving than her, myself NOT included. Give it to a fan who would cherish it as a real memory, not someone who's got an unhealthy obsession with herself. >_>

...I know I'm sounding really... hypocritical or elitist or whatever but she just... really annoys the hell out of me. And of course, I went off topic but still... Blaugh.

I'm gonna go groan elsewhere. >.<
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 2:48 am Reply with quote
The only silver lining to this story:

Performing in Akihabara isn't exactly like getting your night at Carnegie Hall.

It might, maybe, possibly get you noticed by someone. Or much much more likely you'll get paid $100 and have a few scary guys try and touch you, but be too afraid to actually do it.

I should note that there seems to be an overall upsurgence in "gaijin" related otaku fare in Tokyo lately. In fact, there's a maid cafe in kichijouji advertising for Western waitresses (or at least people who speak english) for a special "English conversation day" at their cafe, and a few butler cafes that are specifically western male waiters only.
I'm sure the western idol singers are just going to be the new fad for a while, until that becomes old and the new hot thing is idol singers with lisps or some inane thing like that.
bleuster

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 3:45 am Reply with quote
Kyogissun wrote:
She's annoying as **** and the fact that she's trying to 'represent' a crowd... Really annoys me. She's WAY too obnoxious and out going.

I don't mean to complain but... I just can't help it. When I think of all the people who went to try and get into that trip to japan contest or whatever it was comcast held...

I feel the same way about the "youtube sensation", Applemilk1988.

On the other hand, many Japanese idols just come and go like that, if they manage to have that sustaining power at all. The idol I recall that became an idol powerhouse and sustained it for the longest time I know is Ryoko Hirosue. Some might disagree, but I believe she set the standard that few idols have reached since.

As for Stephanie and Cat, I wish them the best and hope to see them do a duet some day.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Mysticmidnightmaiden

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 5:18 am Reply with quote
HIMEKA kicked some serious ass on the Anisong Grand Prix. Competition? What competition? I hope she debuts on a good song that shows off her vocal prowess..

... I'll hold my comments about Yanez. 'Tis better to say nothing at all, after all...
therealssjlink

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 5:22 am Reply with quote
Mad, annoying, grating, tries to hard to be cute, etc.

I hope she reads these Rolling Eyes
Pocky_aDDict

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 6:14 am Reply with quote
Is it just me or does Stephanie Yanez reminds me of a weeaboo Fran Drescher? Regardless, props to her for her small bit of success there.

Catherine St. Onge is a much better representative for the North American anime fans [s](too bad she's not from the states, huh. All we have is Yanez)[/s]. Much props to her on winning the contest. Her karaoke video that was re-uploaded to NicoDouga has lots of positive comments, at least as far as the amount of positive comments a video can have there. A comment I saw pass by,"the Gaijin Mizuki Nana". That made me giggle inside. Very Happy
Pirkaf

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 7:53 am Reply with quote
Jesus, this is horrible. Please leave such things to japanese girls!
RadicaLElly

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 11:46 am Reply with quote
Good lord, there's so much jealousy in this thread I can TASTE it.

She accomplished something few non-Japanese will ever get to do. Good for her. No reason to be nasty about it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Mevious

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 11:54 am Reply with quote
Hmmm. While I can't say much about her as a person (never met her), it's always nice to see someone following their dreams.

According to the MC, she still can't speak much Japanese. Hopes she stays over there long enough to learn.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3