• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Version 2.0!!!

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
biliano*

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2004 2:50 pm Reply with quote
I'm glad I'm not the only one that thinks Super Milk-Chan sucks.
Completely and totally unwatchable.
Jadress

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2004 3:08 pm Reply with quote
I like the new additions to Shelf Life! ^^ I think they add more fun and recommendations. Is it just me, or does anyone else really enjoy reading bad reviews?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
biliano*

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2004 4:08 pm Reply with quote
I like the new Shelf Life additions, too. I enjoy reading reviews whether they are good, bad, accurate, pointless, or whatever.

I have a good antonym for Super Milk-Chan: Everything else!
lianncoop
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2004 4:12 pm Reply with quote
biliano wrote:
I have a good antonym for Super Milk-Chan: Everything else! (Even Reign the Conquerer, the worst anime series ever made.)

Actually, Bamboo wrote that. ^_~
Quote:
Oh hell, anything that requires a dash of intellect to watch is an appropriate antonym to Super Milk-chan.

It's a shame that your new additions were wasted on such...horrible sounding things. I'm sure you'll have better stuff next week.
Rion

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2004 4:18 pm Reply with quote
Sad So Ikki Tousen didn't get any better.......

I was really hoping that the series would redeem itself, heh....

Good review though...i like the new system you are using.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime
areaseven
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2004 5:33 pm Reply with quote
What? No review for Submarine 707R yet? Guess I'll just wait until next week.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime
kusanagi-sama

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2004 5:38 pm Reply with quote
Aren't you missing the "shelf worthy" part of the Shelf Life? Or were there no DVD's to review that were shelf worthy this week.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Wyvern

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2004 5:50 pm Reply with quote
I'm going to resist being pelted with fruit to announce that I rather like Milk-Chan...it's just that the episodes are a bit too long. Adult Swim knows what it's doing when it makes its comedy shows only eleven minutes long-that leads to manic pacing and forces the writers to compress their (completly insane) stories. It's a shame the producers of Milk-Chan couldn't have made it one of those half-length shows that keep popping up everywhere-the show is funny, just draaaaaaaaaaaaawn out with way too much time between jokes. It could have really used a shorter runtime, plus it would have ended up fitting in with the other AS comedy shows better.
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2004 6:14 pm Reply with quote
kusanagi-sama wrote:
Or were there no DVD's to review that were shelf worthy this week.

Bingo.

areaseven wrote:
What? No review for Submarine 707R yet? Guess I'll just wait until next week.

Submarine 707R will be in the upcoming Shelf Life, along with a lot of the titles release on 11/9.

Ikki Tousen is kind of a guilty, guilty, guilty pleasure for me (even more so than Onegai Twins.). I groan whenever I watch it, and I keep telling myself how utterly awful it is, but I keep wanting to watch more, just so I can say to myself, "Omigod, I can't believe he just did that to her!!!" and "I wonder what kind of blatantly sexual things they're going to do this time? Ugh."

I'm glad I have your guys' approval for the new additions! Thanks a lot for your support! Anime smile
darkhunter

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2004 7:01 pm Reply with quote
Rion wrote:
Sad So Ikki Tousen didn't get any better.......

I was really hoping that the series would redeem itself, heh....

Good review though...i like the new system you are using.

Well it got decent review on AOD. Not the best or deepest show in the world, but enjoyable. If you go into it thinking it's a deep and meaningful show, you'll be dissappointed. It'll get your blood pumpin though if you're like any young guy.

http://www.animeondvd.com/reviews2/disc_reviews/3237.php
Quote:..we really liked the way they shamelessly blended together the sexual nature of the violence and of the fighters. Too many shows try to pretend that doesn't happen or just show some little bits of it but Ikki Tosen revels in it.

Basically, it's more of a guilty pleasure (as mention) and you'll enjoy it if you like girls fighting and panties. I difinitely like it for its fanservice (keeps me from getting bored), but It's definitely not for everyone, especially the anti-pantsu.

Last edited by darkhunter on Sat Nov 20, 2004 3:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
AnimeHeretic

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2004 10:52 pm Reply with quote
The sad thing about Ikkitousen is that the Giffen-ized version of the manga (Battle Vixens) comes off as more interesting than the anime. Not that either were worth getting (as I learned AFTER spending the money) IMHO.

Only thing I found interesting about Ikkitousen was getting a sense of what was really said before Keith Giffen added in all the 4-letter words.
biliano*

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2004 11:25 pm Reply with quote
darkhunter wrote:
Well it got decent review on AOD. Not the best or deepest show in the world, but enjoyable.

Animeacademy.com kind of trashed this series.

http://www.animeacademy.com/finalrevdisplay.php?id=253

Quote from Eek: "The one and only thing that prevents Ikkitousen from being horrible is that it is strongly based on Chinese history"

Amazingly, Eek gave Ikkitousen a higher score (54) than Kiddy Grade (37), which I think is a very enjoyable series.
xanbcoo

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2004 12:05 pm Reply with quote
Eek thinks everything sucks
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2004 12:22 pm Reply with quote
SakechanBD wrote:
Ikki Tousen is kind of a guilty, guilty, guilty pleasure for me (even more so than Onegai Twins.). I groan whenever I watch it,
I bet you do ducky! I would too and all.Razz
Quote:
and I keep telling myself how utterly awful it is, but I keep wanting to watch more, just so I can say to myself, "Omigod, I can't believe he just did that to her!!!" and "I wonder what kind of blatantly sexual things they're going to do this time? Ugh."
Tis a hard job you do there. I wouldn't want to do it, much Razz

Quote:
I'm glad I have your guys' approval for the new additions! Thanks a lot for your support! Anime smile
I too like this addition. A very good idea. Wink

Last edited by Mohawk52 on Sat Nov 20, 2004 4:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
darkhunter

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2004 2:44 pm Reply with quote
xanbcoo wrote:
Eek thinks everything sucks

Yeah, I mean that guy hated stuff like Gundam Seed or Wolf's Rain. He prefer more "relationship, type of drama" What a pansy. Things like "pant shot" and "fansevice" put a frown on his face. This guy is anti-pantsu. Good thing he didn't review GTO or Golden Boy or it would of gotten bad scores too.

Oh yeah, Animeacemdy is iffy because 95% of thier review based on fansubbed. So if you see a review on a particular series, it's usually the fansub version, not the DVD version. They'll even review fansub of licensed series. I believe they probably have every digi fansub that exist.

Last edited by darkhunter on Sat Nov 20, 2004 7:55 pm; edited 3 times in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2